Strange playback issues in Dharma
Acer Revo R1600, so Nvidia ION chipset
2gb RAM (though the problem occurred with 1gb as well)
XBMC Version: Dharma Beta1 (though it occurred with the Dharma nightly I was using prior to Beta1 as well)

A strange thing started happening a few days ago. I had originally set up XBMC Dharma Nightly (from Aug 27th IIRC) and had it working fine playing all of my media from a USB external HD. Playback with DXVA was beautiful, stutter free, the whole thing was working flawlessly. Then, out of nowhere, playback simply stopped working.

If I try to play a video now, the video will not start on its own: I need to pause and then unpause just to get the video to start at all, and after that, it will freeze after 5 or so seconds. Skip to another portion of the file, and same thing, 5 seconds of playback and then a freeze. I can stop the video just fine and browse the XBMC menus just fine, but it's playback that has just ceased working. The same thing happens with any files I test, regardless of size/quality.

Here's what I've tried:
Switching between Library mode and file mode - no difference
Uninstalling Dharma nightly and reinstalling Dharma Beta1 - no difference
Uninstalling and reinstalling Beta1 - no difference
Playing files from the Revo's hard drive as opposed to the USB drive - no difference
Upgrading RAM to 2gb - no difference (I didn't think this would do anything, I just was going to upgrade anyway and just wanted to mention it didn't make a difference)

Also, as a note, all the media I've tested in MPC-HC plays back flawlessly, DXVA or not.

Here is a debug log of one sesson trying to play one file off of the USB drive, and the other off of the local Revo drive. Just in file mode, as I haven't bothered re-scraping any video yet since I reinstalled.

http://pastebin.com/gztZMjxu

I'm just baffled by this - the issue would make me think that the Revo just couldn't handle XBMC if it wasn't for working flawlessly for a few days.

If any more information is needed, please let me know. I can post driver versions etc, though I'm certain they're the latest (and they weren't changed between XBMC working and XBMC not working anyway).
It has to do with sound. You must have changed something, either in Windows, in xmbc, in your wiring, ...
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
That did it! I had been playing it with some pc speakers in the front audio jack, and had taken them out afterwards (still keeping this on a monitor until i've got the kinks worked out enough to bother hooking it to a TV).

Aside from keeping something plugged in at all times, what can I do to avoid this in the future, if anything? I never realized XBMC was so sensitive about that kind of thing.
yeah, xbmc freaks if the selected audio interface doesn't work. Change to line out, or speakers for example.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange playback issues in Dharma0