Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)
i completely disagree. the best way to avoid people mucking around with settings is to not have them in the gui. plus, having them in the gui leads to code to display it which is bloat. plus layout difficulties and so on. they're advanced settings, which, though will be documented in the online manual, are for advanced users only. advanced users are quite capable of editting an xml file to change a couple of settings. furthermore, these are one-off type settings - it's not the sort of thing you need to enable or disable regularly.

the gui settings should be reserved for things that the user needs to (or could need to) change on a fairly regular basis. the fewer settings we have in the gui, the more user friendly the product is.

it benefits both new users (less confusion due to less settings) and power users (who are gonna configure things the way they want, and are quite happy to edit an xml file to do so).

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Rainbow 
(jmarshall @ july 27 2005,13:19 Wrote:the fewer settings we have in the gui, the more user friendly the product is.
again i think we should separate this discussion into a new topic thread. personally i only agree with the part of your argument above that i made bold, and i believe that simply hiding the "advanced settings" is enough to do that, ...as i also think that xbmc should be user-friendly for its advanced-users as well, which means making the advanced settings/option available from the gui too, sure they can probably all edit xml files but it's less convenient which is one of xbmc's main benefit compared to other htpc-softwares, connivence and simplicity for both normal and advanced users. if the "advanced settings" where in the gui but 'hidden' by default unless the user choose to display them by clicking a "show advanced settings" (alternatively we could call them "show expert settings" which might sound more intimidating), we could make a warning pop-up show when clicked explaining that they should not be messed with by normal users unless they absolutely know what they are doing, and after reboot of xbmc the user would have to click "show advanced/expert settings" again if we make them auto-hide on each startup of xbmc.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i like the sound of hiding specific option until enabled via gui.

but having the option to enable advanced options via xml is fine if a simple 'reliable' text editor could be implemented into xbmc as i often use my xbox on the road or away from home network Smile
i was wrong about the filemanager.  i inspected the code thoroughly last night and it definately does support recursive delete.  and the code changes i mentioned in my previous post will cover recursive delete as i'm going to directly use the functions found in the filemanager.

and i agree with jmarshall on the advanced settings. paring down the settings screens will pare down the xbe. and, as long as the advanced settings are well documented, why would they need to be available via the gui. there's already several advanced configuration options which are available by directly editting settings.xml.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)0