[LINUX] HOW-TO get quickly started with Acer Aspire Revo 1600 - Guide for XBMC Dharma
I used this guide to install xbmc, but how can I change the output video of xbmc to 1080p? The highest resolution I can choose is only 1280x720.
KidKiwi Wrote:Myrison - thx for the update.

In fact, I have skipped the other steps trying to get wakeup from suspend working. What a nightmare.

I realize this may be a personal mission at this point to get it working, but to offer you some perspective, these Acers draw almost no power, whether working or in suspend mode. Here is a review of the Acer Aspire 1600 (can't remember if that's what you have or something else). But, if it's an Acer system with Ion-based hardware, it's not going to be a lot different.

This review showed that operating the Acer for a year would cost you < $8.00. Given the agony you're going through, I'd just forget the suspend/wake from idle problem and let it run wild. Smile

I've measured my own Acer's power draw and at idle it is < 20 watts. At my power rates, that's still < $20 a year to run 24x7x365.

So let me ask you this. If you could give up $20 and consider this problem solved, would it be worth it? Big Grin
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Mysteriouskk Wrote:I used this guide to install xbmc, but how can I change the output video of xbmc to 1080p? The highest resolution I can choose is only 1280x720.

Are you using an Acer 1600 and connecting via HDMI? In general, this is the best guide for getting your modelines properly configured if they don't come up "automatigically." In your case, make sure to follow steps 1-3 at a minimum and see if it solves the problem. If not, you can continue on with the others as well, though I think your issues lie in the first 3 steps.

I guess I got lucky that this worked for me on 2 TVs without having to do more messing around, but if you need to take further steps, follow that link above. It's definitely a bit more work, but I've used it in the past and it's easy enough to follow.
@myrison - good point. I currently leave my Xbox on, but it would be nice to have things working as they should. Having a mission like this has forced me to learn things linux - so that's a benefit.

No - I don't have a Revo or an Acer. - I just brought this MB (ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION WiFi 802.11n Mini ITX) and stuck it in a small case with 4gb RAM. I already had a MCE ready remote and ir receiver. Now to get it all working. Shocked

Edit - Actually, the easy thing timewise would be to get a wireless keybd/mouse setup. Suspend and wakeup seems to work perfectly with that, and once it's awake, the remote seems to be working.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
First off, thanks for the guide myrison! I've followed it to a tee, but am now running into some problems. Hopefully you or one of the other gurus can help me out!

Some background:
- I'm running a brand new Acer Revo R3610
- Plugged into old-ish Toshiba rear projection TV (HDMI to DVI)
- Running XBMC Live off USB stick
- I'm a complete Linux noob Wink

Errors I've encountered:
1. During initial boot into XBMC, aproximately 4 error messages flash very quickly (something like 640x480 not supported etc...) This brings my Revo to a boot menu where I can choose:
- Unbuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-24-generic
- Unbuntu, same as above but with "recovery mode"
- Win Vista
- Win 7

2. After choosing option 1, the XBMC logo comes up but then reverts to black screen indefinitely. I checked the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found the following:

(**) Sep 13 11:17:58 NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(EE) Sep 13 11:17:58 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
(EE) Sep 13 11:17:58 NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
(EE) Sep 13 11:17:58 NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I was able to boot into XBMC prior to the driver update, but I have no idea how to fix this. Sad
Kaley - I haven't hit that problem myself, but based on your error message, this looks like a likely fix for you. This is another similar thread with a similar direction for a fix (basically, run the installer again, and it will recompile the kernel for you). You just need to get back to terminal access or log in via putty from another computer and redo the step to install the driver.

I'm really not certain on this one, so I'll apologize in advance if I'm steering you the wrong way, but those threads do look very similar.
Hey myrison - just had to chip in and say thx for the pointers. I've managed to get my suspend issues resolved so I'm a happy camper Big Grin. Now it's time to move on to the video/audio stuff.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Awesome to hear. Smile Re: suspend/wake, if you learned anything that would be helpful if the rest of us try to take on that task, please leave any pointers here. I haven't tackled it myself yet and at some point might give it a go, so if you have suggestions for what helped you, I'd be interested.
Thanks for the help Myrison. I've reloading the nvidia drivers failed as well; same type of 'unable to build kernel' message. I don't have the Linux knowledge to fix this, so I've started from scratch again. I used the new Beta2 from XBMCFreak, and I'm up and running!
Great plan. Looks like it must've been a small bug in the old XBMCfreak CD, glad to hear that the new one works better. (and sorry for the goose chase on reinstalling again with no result) Blush
myrison Wrote:Re: suspend/wake, if you learned anything that would be helpful if the rest of us try to take on that task, please leave any pointers here.

Here is the post about my problem and solution http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81074 to the "Suspend once - then autoresume problem." This had nothing to do with the remote side of things as far as I could tell - as the problem occurred trying to suspend via the keyboard without the remote plugged in.

For the remote to work correctly, you have to upgrade to a later kernel. See here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=597...stcount=61

Please note that the latest Dharma Beta 2 Live release includes this later kernel (at least the xbmcfreak Dharma Beta 2 one does), so no need to upgrade it.

I also had to enable the correct USB port. In my case it was "US15". To find what is enabled / disabled - try
Code:
sudo cat /proc/acpi/wakeup

To enable "US15" try as my example
Code:
sudo echo US15 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

Seems for a lot of H/W out there USB0 has to be enabled (not so in my case). Using the above command only enables for the current session. To survive a reboot, you have to add the command to the /etc/rc.local file

So
Code:
sudo pico /etc.rc.local
should open the file. Scroll down until you find exit 0. Put this line directly above it (while still allowing a line space between it and previous line)
Code:
echo US15 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
If you want to enable USB0, then replace "US15" with "USB0"

Here is part of my file as an example
Code:
#execute runonce script
if [ ! -e "/usr/share/xbmc/hwSetup_NVIDIA_HDMI.sh" ]; then
echo "runonce script already applied"
else
/usr/share/xbmc/hwSetup_NVIDIA_HDMI.sh
fi

[color=red]echo US15 > /proc/acpi/wakeup[/color]
exit 0

crtl X, then "Y" then enter.

Please note: some posts seem to indicate enabling all the ports produces other issues - so only enable the one you need (find by enabling one at a time).

Once this has been achieved type
Code:
reboot
and you should be good to go. Worked for me at least.

Hope this helps.
Great info, thank you. I'm now motivated to give it a try myself. Since I'm already on Beta 2, it doesn't look like it should be too bad.
Not having luck ... following instructions and able to successfully create boot USB. However, when I try to run the XBMC Live Installer - I get the "No common CD-ROM drive was detected"

Setup: Acer Revo 1600
HD: SD 8 gig card (Internal HD Removed)

Any suggestions? I am trying to upgrade from a previous version (so I know my setup works)... I tried the Dharma 2 .iso in VirtualBox and noticed that it dumps me into a login prompt. Weird.
Hi Myrison,

Great post, I have the revo 1600 and also have been wanting to upgrade to dharma though still a bit timid. I wanted to know what the main difference is between the xbmcfreaks live cd than the one you would get from xbmc directly etc?

Are there any major differences? I am currently running camelot 9.11 and want to update, though I still have a bit of confusion if dharma is 10.0 or the 10.5 I have seen tossed around.

I also have seen a few posts that claim that just run a few commands in terminal to upgrade. Those are the reasons I have not pulled the trigger, nor do I know if there will be an "official" way to upgrade but I am itching for the new "addons" and repos that dharma has. Plus i want to see what the skins do with dharma like Night or Aeon skins.
Great stuff Myrison! XBMC was getting a bit unstable here so I will try this quide tonight.

Update: when I got home my old XBMC was dead so I just gave this guide a try on my SD....

Words cant express how I feel. This is working great and so easy and quick to install... just AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot Myrison, Piethein and the developers!!

Ps. Loving the extra features and finally no more juddering with all the bad options off and good options on Big Grin
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get quickly started with Acer Aspire Revo 1600 - Guide for XBMC Dharma1