[LINUX] HOW-TO get quickly started with Acer Aspire Revo 1600 - Guide for XBMC Dharma
Supremespeed Wrote:I am getting the No Common CD-ROM issue on my Acer Revo, using latest version Unetbootin, have previous installation of XBMC camelot 9.11

*fixed the above issue but I am getting the NVIDIA Kernel issue after updating the display drivers. It booted up fine to GUI first time.

Curious - how did you solve the "no common CD-Rom issue" - I haven't found a solution yet.

Thanks
Trancethereal Wrote:Curious - how did you solve the "no common CD-Rom issue" - I haven't found a solution yet.

Thanks

I didn't, ended up using xbmc-Dharma_beta2-usblive.img
Trancethereal Wrote:Curious - how did you solve the "no common CD-Rom issue" - I haven't found a solution yet.

Thanks

Wiping the MBR then formatting the flash drive before using unetbootin to write the ISO onto it fixed it for me. I used linux and dd to wipe the MBR. I suspect the format wasn't necessary.
SpitIV Wrote:Wiping the MBR then formatting the flash drive before using unetbootin to write the ISO onto it fixed it for me. I used linux and dd to wipe the MBR. I suspect the format wasn't necessary.

Thanks SpitIV - I think you are correct... the MBR had to be formated again. Not sure why... I am not a linux users, so the dd command was "greek" to me. However, I got the gist. Smile

For those having the same problem - but are Windows users, here was my solution.

"No CD-Rom found" - I had the same problem and could not figure out how to get around this issue - for weeks (it was driving me nuts). I was using the exact same process (unetbootin) and hardware as before (and never had a problem). I was using the same USB stick, same Acer Apire Revo 1600, same 8gig SD card as hard drive.

What didn't work for me:
1 - Upgrading Unetbootin - it made no difference.
2 - Format USB stick
3 - Use different versions of .iso

I finally got it to work... whoo hoo!

What did work - My solution (your mileage may vary):

I am Windows user (this was my original method)... but tried the same process using Ubuntu.

1) Install VirtualBox and create a virtual machine (My host machine is Windows based)
2) Install Ubuntu 10.x
--- Assumes you are now in Ubuntu
3) Download XBMC Dharma_b3 (extract .zip to .iso)
4) Download Unetbootin
--- Assumes you have inserted the USB stick and Ubuntu detects and mounts
5) run Disk Utility (System - Administration - Disk Utility)
6) Select the USB stick from within Disk Utility - "unmount Volume" - then "format drive" and choose scheme: "Master Boot Volume"... (I think this was the secret sauce).
7) Then "format volume"
--- Assumes you successfuly formated USB drive MBR and Volume
8) Use Unetbootin - select the Dharma .iso you downloaded and target the newly formated USB.

This finally worked - I did not get the 'no CD-Rom drive found' error.

Good luck!
Supremespeed Wrote:I am getting the No Common CD-ROM issue on my Acer Revo, using latest version Unetbootin, have previous installation of XBMC camelot 9.11

*fixed the above issue but I am getting the NVIDIA Kernel issue after updating the display drivers. It booted up fine to GUI first time.

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-27-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 20 14:24:04 UTC 2010 i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=0ce32323-dd16-42c1-902a-6e4628b8b087 ro quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0 video=vesafb
Build Date: 21 July 2010 12:47:34PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Oct 9 20:12:38 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 195.36.24,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 256.53. Please make
sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
have the same version.
(EE) Oct 09 20:12:41 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
(EE) Oct 09 20:12:41 NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
(EE) Oct 09 20:12:41 NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

*EDIT*

Forget it, fixed it by purging all the old nvidia drivers and blacklisting some other display drivers. What a pain that was.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

I'm having this same problem so I suppose I need to also purge my old nvidia drivers? Can anyone point me to some instructions on how to do this, please?
aptitude purge ~nnvidia
I am also having the problem described by Kid. I followed the procedure listed except I installed the Dharma 3 Beta. The boot process worked correctly at first but as my Aspire 1600 is connected to a 46" LCD via HDMI, I elected to follow the NVIDIA update steps to get digital audio.

Once that was complete though I can only boot the the terminal and when trying "startx" I get the following:

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-27-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17 20:26:08 UTC 2010 i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-25-generic root=UUID=77c8b89d-70f5-4a0d-8227-1af5765780e1 ro quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0 video=vesafb
Build Date: 21 July 2010 12:47:34PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Nov 1 18:07:28 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
have the same version.
(EE) Nov 01 18:07:29 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
(EE) Nov 01 18:07:29 NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
(EE) Nov 01 18:07:29 NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Trying to re-install the update also fails, btw.

After reading this post beginning to end I'm not sure I picked up on the solution to this problem. I would like to have the digital audio working and as originally installed (without the NVIDIA update), any video files cannot start the audio stream it seems.

Can anyone offer some assistance?
Here is the relevant section of the log that I see:

Quote:Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 195.36.24,
have the same version.

I admit to not being an expert in this, but it looks to me like you have not fully removed your NVIDIA drivers from the older kernel. You'll need to get them fully purged before you upgrade to version 256. You can try using some of the commands listed earlier in this thread and/or use the installer you downloaded for v 256.53 and append the command with --uninstall. The combination -should- remove all old traces of the driver and allow you to reinstall the newest one. i.e.

Code:
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-{version number}.run --uninstall

If I was troubleshooting my system, that's what I would try first. If none of that worked, i'd try finding the 195.36.24 installer and run the --uninstall command using that version (though hopefully it doesn't come to that for you).
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
This is how I fixed that problem. I'm new to Ubuntu/Linux, so bear with me.

Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

This correctly updates the nvidia driver...much easier than the way mentioned previously.

Also, just to note...alsamixer may have your audio muted. To unmute this, just type in the command alsamixer, cursor over to each volume option and press 'M'. Mute is denoted by MM and unmute is denoted by an infinity sign.

Hope that helps!
Hi,

I’m trying to use XBMC Live via usb with an MSI N210 MD512H graphics card. I’m attempting to use audio via HDMI. Do you know if these instructions will work for this setup?
Hey guys,

I appreciate the quick replies. Last night, though, I did a fresh install of the Dharma beta 4 Vanilla and there was no need to mess with Nvidia at all. It worked out of the box. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Rob
Hey guys,

One thing I did notice is that on start-up, xbmc has some audio feedback. I noticed this in the dharma 3 install and now in the dharma 4. It sounds like a constant "shhhhhh". There are no menu sounds enabled and once I start an audio or video stream it goes away but if left alone after startup, this feedback is continuous. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
@Skeeto -> No, I have XBMC Live Dharma 4 on two different systems and don't have that problem on either. So I'm no help on that one. Glad you got it working though!

@polaroo -> I doubt this exact guide will work for you as you'll need non-NVIDIA drivers. You should just try the normal XBMC Live distro and then work on making sure you have all the right drivers for your system installed. While I'm happy to -try- to help, you're probably better served looking for someone else who has set up the same card to see if they have more specific information for you.
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
wow... so many problems with Dharma running on Revo. Dang! Glad I stayed with old XBMCFreak v.11 (perhaps 12...forgot, it's been a long time) on my Revo R3610. Everything is working great so I put off the upgrade. Although, in near future when I upgrade my receiver w/ HDMI (still using the old one w/o HDMI) I'll have to upgrade. Not looking forward to it though. =[
may I suggest..

To prevent the following error:

Code:
have the same version.

You might wish to add this to your Howto after the "sudo pkill X" command.

Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

Followed by a reboot.

You can then install the newer drivers without any issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get quickly started with Acer Aspire Revo 1600 - Guide for XBMC Dharma1