• 36(current)
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker
XBMC will see a MySQL library the same way it sees the internal library, so it doesn't matter if you have media or not. Just remember to not use the lifehacker guide, as it is outdated. Use MySQL (wiki) instead.
(2012-11-22, 20:07)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC will see a MySQL library the same way it sees the internal library, so it doesn't matter if you have media or not. Just remember to not use the lifehacker guide, as it is outdated. Use MySQL (wiki) instead.
Thanks, just found that from someone elses link, where they basically said, Google "XMBC MySQL".... dummy.

8 )
I was encountering issues with setting up MySQL where the various clients could not connect to the MySQL server, due to lovely Windows 7 permissions. I did, however, eventually get it working by slightly changing the GRANT ALL ON command from the original Wiki article. I created an account on the wiki, verified it via email and attempted to edit the page with the amended command. However, I was not able to edit the multiple "sections" for the various operating systems. It was only letting me make changes to the Mac OS/X "tab". I aborted the change, but the text I was going to add is:

###In some applications, your XBMC client may not be able to connect to your MySQL server, returning an error code [1130]
###If this occurs to you, try amending Step 2 above to read <code>GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.%';</code> where xxx.xxx.xxx is the first three quadrants of your home network's IP address (192.168.1 for example) and % as the last quadrant to allow addresses on the same subnet to connect

I don't know if some Wiki Ninja (Ned?) wants to update the article or not, but it might prove useful to others out there struggling with this.

Thanks.
~Brent
Yeah, the header tabs extension on the wiki has some bugs. The best way to get around it is to just click the over-all edit tab on the top of the page and scroll down to the section that needs editing. In any case, I've added your note. Thanks for the info!
Thanks, Ned. This problem may not affect anyone else, but troubleshooting it for the better part of the day yesterday drove me crazy(er). Hopefully it will prove useful to someone else.

Now to see if there is some other area of the wiki to which I can contribute, now that I know the secret editing trick Wink
Tried loads of times to get this working. Have no idea what I am doing wrong. Everytime I copy the advanced settings file across XBMC refuses to boot. Sad Still UPnP Library Sharing should be getting better soon.
(2012-12-08, 22:43)Moose2000 Wrote: Tried loads of times to get this working. Have no idea what I am doing wrong. Everytime I copy the advanced settings file across XBMC refuses to boot. Sad Still UPnP Library Sharing should be getting better soon.
Have you tried http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sf4eNVaDkc

If you are using windows this works easily.

I have never been able to get this to work. I have tried several several times but always stuck on the same issue. I complete everything in Mysql export library edit it like the guide says changing G:movies to SMB://192.168.1.109/movies create the advancedsettings.xml which is
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.109</host>
        <port>8079</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>password</pass>
    </videodatabase>
</advancedsettings>

I put that into me 2 xmbc install directors on my htpc and laptop. When I go to import the library nothing happens. I select the folder the .xml is in hit ok then nothing. Here is the log from doing just that

http://pastebin.com/jkn3dRMU

Now, if I remove the advancedsettings.xml and import the library it works perfectly fine except that it doesn't sync through mysql.

I'm pulling my hair out here and about to give up for the 4th or 5th time trying this. It's probably something incredibly simple that I am missing.

oh forgot to add both are WIndows 7 x64 and both computers are running Frodo RC2
(2012-12-21, 23:49)Tritonal Wrote: ...
Now, if I remove the advancedsettings.xml and import the library it works perfectly fine except that it doesn't sync through mysql.

I'm pulling my hair out here and about to give up for the 4th or 5th time trying this. It's probably something incredibly simple that I am missing.

oh forgot to add both are WIndows 7 x64 and both computers are running Frodo RC2

setup an xbmc user on the mysql server? Made sure to set it be able to connect from outside the DB server's host? Set up to give the permissions per client IP for the xbmc user?
You've lost me.

I have been following http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ab=Windows

I'm not sure what you mean by connecting from ouside the db server host but I have run
CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc';

then did the firewall stuff it mentions
See the "Note" on that page.

So:
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc';

would might need to be changed to:
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.%';

Where you change the xxx's to the first 3 sets of numbers for the IP's in your network, for example:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc'@'192.168.1.%';

Which assuming your network IP range matches the above would allow all IP's on your network to connect to the mysql daemon with the proper credentials.
after trying that I get can't find any matching row in the user table. Tried copy paste and typing it a couple of times now.

[edit] Out of curiousity in case I missed something. Are you supposed to export the library make the changes to it, remove all traces of the library from each xbmc install including the one you exported it from then reimport it to each xbmc install?
Ok update, I have gotten it now to where both libraries update when I add a new movie or show but they still don't update what has been watched or how far into a movie I am
I have this working on my home network but would like to know if it can work over the internet. I have a simple ftp server installed on my NAS which gives me access to all the media on my android phone. Can the database sharring work the same way? Anyone have something like that working. Also is FTP the best way to access the media outside you home network

Thanks
It won't work well over the internet. Accessing the library, even on a fast internet connection, will be really slow due to all the little requests and data that MySQL uses (if I understand the technical stuff correctly).

As far as just accessing media, I'm not sure what is the best way. FTP might be one of the easier methods of setup, and probably won't have any major issues, but I honestly don't know if it's the best way to go about it.
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker1