HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), HDMI communication channel protocol support?
Malard Wrote:Can I ask why you are arguing all of these points with no real factually backing behind any of your arguments? and to add further woe, you have just protested that you have no interest in CEC, from what I can gather you've never used it, nor understand the benefit.

To say I dont use it personally is correct, to say I have no experience of its use or dont understand the benefit is somewhat presumptuous, no offense but I do feel slightly vexed by that.

Malard Wrote:At no point have I mentioned the NYXboard remote in this thread as it is largely unrelated to what we are developing. and regarding native support. I would gladly work to make XBMC source code support a native implementation of CEC if a graphics driver exposed it on any platform. The fact of the matter is, they don't and that's generally because of the flaky support across various hardware vendors of ION chips.

No, perhaps I jumped the gun since I didn't see any related projects on pulse eights website but the board, tbh I didn't look so hard, sorry about that.

Yes support is flaky not just on ION vendors Actually manufacturers like Pegatron who made all IONgen1 and manufacture a large amount of Asus, MSI, Nvidia, Asrock and many other Vendors Hardware... Rare are the vendors who actually manufacture their own stuff. And they answer no Q's and vendors have mostly no clew... unless you speak to engineers.

Malard Wrote:What we are creating is a common platform, where we know the capabilities of the device and then can really start to expand XBMC to talk with the rest of the hardware in your home theatre instead of being isolated.

Yes I believe that I understand that and why its easier then going the otherway since support for various manufacturers is flaky or non existent in some cases. Specially in this case.

Malard Wrote:I hope that this will address all of your concerns, if anyone has a question about what this device will do or how it will work with XBMC then this is the topic for it, if however it turns into a slinging match about native/non native support when native support isn't an option. I will lock the thread

No slinging match, I made a comment based on the sweeping statements that nothing bar a laptop or two support CEC. And hardly any proof was presented to support that except ters is no proof?! Then I made the mistake of mentioning IONS and here we are.

close it if you like, no complaints from me...
X3lectric Wrote:No slinging match, I made a comment based on the sweeping statements that nothing bar a laptop or two support CEC. And hardly any proof was presented to support that except ters is no proof?! Then I made the mistake of mentioning IONS and here we are.

close it if you like, no complaints from me...

The fact is only few Toshiba laptops support HDMI-CEC with Regza-Link LCDs. I've tested that, no other manufacturer cared enough to include this feature (be it by not implementing it or by not making any drivers or specification how to use it) At the end there is NO working solution with currently available graphics cards/chipsets and that's why it's awesome somebody actually took it in his own hands and is making 3rd party UNIVERSAL solution for us.... xbmc htpc users. thumbs up! Nod
About Intel and CEC
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030996.htm
Quote:Customer Problem/Question

Does the Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset family or the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset family support HDMI* CEC feature?

Issue Resolution

HDMI* CEC is not supported in any desktops or computers using the Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset nor the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset family.
HDMI* 1.1 introduced CEC as an optional feature. It is not required to achieve the HDMI* logo.

AND

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/dat...asheet.pdf

CEC is referred to in section 5.27.2.6
Quote:HDMI includes three separate communications channels: TMDS, DDC, and the optional
CEC (consumer electronics control)
Thanks for the full clarification. Our box is on track, mid - late september is looking like when we will start shipping and we will take pre - orders once the factory has started producing the PCB boards
Malard Wrote:Thanks for the full clarification. Our box is on track, mid - late september is looking like when we will start shipping and we will take pre - orders once the factory has started producing the PCB boards

Malard - are you with Pulse-Eight or is your project different?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I run Pulse-Eight along with a few other people, some of whom are XBMC dev's also.
The devices from Pulse-Eight look nice. I hope you make them work with EventGhost since many of the Windows users use EventGhost as the "control center" for our HTPCs since we run more than just XBMC
Livin Wrote:The devices from Pulse-Eight look nice. I hope you make them work with EventGhost since many of the Windows users use EventGhost as the "control center" for our HTPCs since we run more than just XBMC

Thanks I'm sure we will as we move along, that said, we are aiming to have tight integration of our devices with XBMC where possible, and provide libraries to assist as much as we can
Just chiming in - Pegatron does not manufacturer everyones boards. Most of the motherboard manufacturers have their own production capabilities, Pegatron / Asrock / AsUS, MSI, Gigabyte, ECS, ZOTAC all have manufacturing capabilities.

There are no motherboards available that support HDMI-CEC, especially not from us. Just because the pin out specification has been around since HDMI 1.0 does not mean HDMI-CEC can be enabled by some miraculous driver.

The chipset / GPU does not have any way of translating HDMI-CEC commands into something usable by the OS. Toshiba laptops with REGZA-Link use the Chrontel chip that translates HDMI-CEC to usable commands.

The Pulse-Eight adapter will do the same.
@zotac PR

I have seen Zotac get more serious about building small mobos for HTPC. It would be nice if complete solutions including HDMI-CEC were coming to market... maybe Zotac can be a trailblazer in that respect.
Some boards are starting to expose the CEC wire on the motherboard, and we plan to offer an internal version of our adapter for those boards. For now, the external option is the only choice
This guy got a little inventive:

http://valkyriemt.wordpress.com/2010/07/...tra-wires/
pico1234 Wrote:This guy got a little inventive:

http://valkyriemt.wordpress.com/2010/07/...tra-wires/

It's essentially the same as what we did, but you don't need a soldiering iron to achieve the same effect, or a programming degree Smile
Malard Wrote:It's essentially the same as what we did, but you don't need a soldiering iron to achieve the same effect, or a programming degree Smile

Bonus points if you post the schematics and diagrams, source code included, for those with an iron and programming degree Smile

à la Sparkfun Electronics. Did I mention I love that company?
garbear Wrote:Bonus points if you post the schematics and diagrams, source code included, for those with an iron and programming degree Smile

à la Sparkfun Electronics. Did I mention I love that company?

We have no plans to provide any technical details on the construction of the adapter or the firmware for the CEC adapter, only the library (libCEC) is public

And if you can hand soldier 0603 resistors, your a better man than me Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), HDMI communication channel protocol support?0