XBMC Screensaver Competition
ok i submitted my screensaver(quick simple and easy) (patchid 1152641) it's based on greynetic (xscreensaver) if i get around to it tomorrow maybe i will do annother. i can be reached via [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
enjoy
man. i hope some others can get some stuff in. just 1 person has submitted something so far? :-( wish i could code. darn.
would love one of those adapters. bein' poor, well.... i'm lucky to have an xbox and pc :-)

good luck to you all, hope more of you can get some stuff in! been lookin' foward to this addition of xbmc

-david
i've added my first entry to this compo. the matrix trails screensaver (patch id: 1153010). it's like the one that existed before the api change. this one however uses a font texture instead of a real font. in the configuration file you can change a few things. among others are number of rows, number of columns, character delay and a few more.

seems like this was requested quite a bit in the forums so i hope you all like it.

cheers
joakim e.
Current project Plane9 a 3d music visualizer/sound responsive screensaver. Author of the planestate, matrix trails, asteroids and ping pong xbmc screensavers.
i just submitted mine (patch 1153042), including an xbmc patch to expose some more dx functions in the wrapper. some needed data files are larger than the allowed patch limit, and the alternate upload form mentioned in the start of this thread is no longer working, so i have uploaded the file elsewhere - details are in the readme.

i had a lot of fun doing this, and i hope you like the fruits of my labor. i wanted to do several more, but i just have too much real work to do at the moment Smile
Question 
(siw @ feb. 27 2005,20:51 Wrote:the alternate upload form mentioned in the start of this thread is no longer working
try http://www.xboxmediaplayer.it/upload or http://www.nightfalltech.com/upload :d
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i just added my last two screensavers.

first up is the ping pong screensaver (patch id: 1153045). it's extremly simple but it's something i haven't seen before. it's just a self playing ping pong game with a very simple ai. colors can be set in the config file.

next up is the planestate screensaver (patch id: 1153052). it's much more advanced and took about a week to do even though it's based on my windows screensaver that can be found at (plane9).
it comes with 4 diffrent configurations so you will need to run the screensaver mutiple times to see all of them. each config consists of 210 diffrent values set in a specific way.
you can't specify each of these values in the configuration file because it's simply too many of them (it would just be confusing). you can however set the probability that a specific configuration will get picked.

it has been a fun competition to be part of so i hope my three screensavers will bring some joy into the world that is xbmc.
Current project Plane9 a 3d music visualizer/sound responsive screensaver. Author of the planestate, matrix trails, asteroids and ping pong xbmc screensavers.
(gamester17 @ feb. 27 2005,20:56 Wrote:
(siw @ feb. 27 2005,20:51 Wrote:the alternate upload form mentioned in the start of this thread is no longer working
try http://www.xboxmediaplayer.it/upload or http://www.nightfalltech.com/upload :d
thanks, i added the cpblobs_data.rar file here too. we should be okay in distributing binaries of these screensavers shouldn't we? because of the wrapper, no xdk files are used in the binaries? i thought i'd make an enduser archive and upload it here if nobody minds.
added my screen saver, shade worm, patch 1153173. need to rebuild xbmc with the included directx8.h and unrar bin.rar to the screensaver folder on your xbox. just got in from the pub so let me know if i have messed anything up. :o

cheers

mrc
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Thumbs Up 
(siw @ feb. 27 2005,21:49 Wrote:we should be okay in distributing binaries of these screensavers shouldn't we? because of the wrapper, no xdk files are used in the binaries
yep, as long as no xdk (or other copyrighted) code is in the binaries/libraries it should be fine Cool
looking really great guys! there has clearly been a lot of thought and effort gone into them - well done!

thanks siw + mrc for the exports - they've been added to cvs now, so that people can enjoy your screensavers right away.

cheers,
jonathan

finally my forth and definitivily my last screensaver to go into this compo. if my clock is correct so is there still 1 hour and 2 minutes left but lets not cut it too close. :d

the screensaver is asteroids (patch id: 1153859). it's a simple version of the asteroids game. however in this one there is a simple ai that controls the ship and get's rid of the asteroids. when there is no more left (or a max time is reached) everything is reset and it starts all over again. started working on it about 5 hours ago so it's done in a rush. no configuration file at all.
@jme :bowdown:

trodde du bodde i sverige? :thumbsup:

det gör jag och vi ligger ju 1 timme före gmt så sista inlämnings tiden för oss blir då 01.00 1 mars Smile
for the non-swedish speaking/reading people:

me: i thought you lived in sweden?
jme: i do and we're one hour ahead of gmt, which makes the deadline 1st of march 1am

furthermore, jme, i just want to say thank you for giving us so many nice screensavers (i havent even checked the last one yet!Wink and ofcourse a big thank you to the other devs aswell who participated in our little contest

thank you!

stay tuned for more details regarding the competition

thanks pike! screensavers are fun to write and it's nice to give something back to xbmc.

on the subject of easy i would like to thank warren an extra time for his testxbs framework. without it i would never have been able to do all my screensavers. if it isn't already in cvs it would probably be a good help to others if it went into it so others can easily find and use it in the future.

one thing i missed while doing these screensavers is a button to quickly start them. someone that has some knowlege on the inner workings of xbmc might be able to add a button or some other form of quick preview of the screensavers.

now we have atleast 8 screensavers (in addition to the standard ones) so my guess is that people would want to try them quickly. right now you have to wait at least one minute to see a single screensaver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Screensaver Competition0