Multiple Live ISO's on one USB
There are several ways to copy a live iso onto an USB stick and have it install from there. You can use Unetbootin, MultibootUSB, etc. or manually using grub4dos, syslinux or Grub2 as initiators. All these work if the iso is unpacked to the ROOT of the USB device

A menu entry would be something like this (in this case syslinux):
Code:
menu label Install XBMCLive
kernel /install/vmlinuz
append initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet preseed/file=/cdrom/install/preseed.cfg cdrom-detect/try-usb=true priority=critical --

For testing purposes however, I would like to have multiple versions on one stick. This would mean that subdirectories have to be used for unpacking an iso. Something like /dharma, /camelot or even /iso/dharma, /iso/camelot

Now, I've managed to run the "Live" menitem using the "live-media-path=" parameter. Like this (grub4dos):

Code:
title XBMC Live
find --set-root /boot/iso/Dharma/live/initrd.img
kernel /boot/iso/Dharma/live/vmlinuz live-media-path=/boot/iso/Dharma/live/ boot=live xbmc=autostart,tempfs,setvolume splash quiet loglevel=0 persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules notimezone noaccessibility noapparmor noaptcdrom noautologin noxautologin noconsolekeyboard nofastboot nognomepanel nohosts nokpersonalizer nolanguageselector nolocales nonetworking nopowermanagement noprogramcrashes nojockey nosudo noupdatenotifier nouser nopolkitconf noxautoconfig noxscreensaver nopreseed union=aufs
initrd /boot/iso/Dharma/live/initrd.img

It will produce some minor errors (stdin), but it will execute fine.

The "install" menu item fails unfortunately if execute from any other path other than the Root. It's initiated fine but after a few steps in the installer it complains the CDrom could not be mounted (probably searching in the root somewhere)

Is there a parameter that will have the installer look in the right subdirectory or does something else needs to be altered?
DragonFly Wrote:Is there a parameter that will have the installer look in the right subdirectory or does something else needs to be altered?

Would be nice to have a complete howto over here.

The install menu requires a different set of options:

live/initrd.img should be renamed to install/initrd.img for example. See the grub.cfg on the cd for the exact details.
Any Linux guru's out there that might have an idea on how to get the installer working from a subdir?
I'm not a linux guru @ all, but whatabout a simple chroot?
merlin1991 Wrote:I'm not a linux guru @ all, but whatabout a simple chroot?

"Chroot" has to be executed from within a running filesystem (I think). In this case a "change of root" has to be started before a filesystem is running. As a parameter from the menu entry:

"kernel /boot/iso/Dharma2/install/vmlinuz quiet preseed/file=/cdrom/install/preseed.cfg cdrom-detect/try-usb=true priority=critical --"

it needs something like "root="

For the "Live" menu entry, a "change of root" can be initiated with the "live-media-path=" parameter. It tells where to look for the filessystem but does not work for "Install" menu entry

But I could be all wrong......I'm not a linux guru either :o
Nothing I tried myself but it's something I had bookmarked for a while in hope to get time to try out... Smile

http://www.panticz.de/MultiBootUSB
Have been fiddling with that one, but no go yet. Browsing around several grub.cfg's, menu.lst, etc, I did find some parameters that MIGHT apply. Don't know if they can be used globally or if they are limited to their linux distro's

Code:
iso-scan/filename=
root=
findiso=
find_iso/filename=

Furthermore, booting from an ISO directly like the above mentioned link, is completely different compared to an "unpacked" iso. Not all bootloaders can handle that (requires to load the iso in mem)

Anyway, using Grub2 (who can), an entry like this:
Code:
menuentry "XBMC Install" {
loopback loop /boot/iso/Dharma.iso
linux (loop)/install/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/Dharma.iso preseed/file=/cdrom/install/preseed.cfg cdrom-detect/try-usb=true priority=critical --
initrd (loop)/install/initrd.gz
}

Loads the iso completely in memory, starts the installer, but again fails to mount the "CDROM"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple Live ISO's on one USB0