First time upgrader! Beta 1 to Beta 2?
Question 
Hey guys I usually just do fresh installs each time but this time I want to try and upgrade, what commands do I have to input in terminal to make my Dharma Beta 1 upgrade to Dharma Beta 2 without loosing things like movie information, add-ons, and so forth?

Edit: I am using LIVE btw.
exit xbmc, then type the following from the console:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

that's it
mobious Wrote:Hey guys I usually just do fresh installs each time but this time I want to try and upgrade, what commands do I have to input in terminal to make my Dharma Beta 1 upgrade to Dharma Beta 2 without loosing things like movie information, add-ons, and so forth?

Edit: I am using LIVE btw.

Since im no expert i probably cant help you if it fails...
I did have the same install that you have and all my config was still there after update.

Run the following command.
Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you get an message after sudo apt-get update saying you should probably run it again. Then do that. This worked perfect for me.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
LoL you beet me to it Matt Devo Wink
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Thanks guys, worked like a charm, only issue I have now is the shutdown function seems broken, it just restarts even though I specifically set XBMC's shutdown function to shutdown the system. Other than that everything works perfectly.
Does the same hold true for a Dharma Beta1 Live created by using the BDW to upgrade to Beta2?
After I got shutdown working again, I started up xbmc and suddenly I get the audio device failed to initilize message, googled it and tried everything and nothing seemed to fix it so I just went back to Beta 1.
mobious Wrote:After I got shutdown working again, I started up xbmc and suddenly I get the audio device failed to initilize message, googled it and tried everything and nothing seemed to fix it so I just went back to Beta 1.
This post fixed it for me:
http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/0...ynx-10-04/
Its long but if u copy and paste line by line it fixed it

Drew
Thanks, apparently using sud apt-get distro-upgrade messes up ALSA, doing a fresh install of Dharma Beta 2 does not have this problem. There is a way of upgrading XBMC without upgrading the distro using sud apt-get xbmc-upgrade I think, that should allow you to upgrade without encountering any problems I think.
One thought: I guess in XBMC Live also some linux specific things get changed, so a fresh installation would be better, right? I made a backup of my .xbmc folder and copied it back into it's place after the fresh install. It works like a charm (of course), but what if a new version of XBMC makes changes in the .xbmc folder too? By copying my "old" folder over it I replace all new content.
So the question really is: Is the .xbmc folder really only for user specific content (thumbnails, database, addons, ...) or are there some things one shouldn't just replace with an older version?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First time upgrader! Beta 1 to Beta 2?0