Do XMBC recode AAC to AC3 on the fly?
Could somebody helping me to become clearer in ACC encoding?
Is Dharma beta2 play ACC in 5.1 channel. Am I not mistaken? I am pleasing surprised!
Do XMBC recode AAC to AC3 on the fly?

Thanks!
Beta 4 doesn't, i checked with apple trailers my bose reviever does not handle AAC format and i don't hear any sound.
no I've been having a terrible time since beta3 with AAC audio I have yet to get it working.

see my thread here.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84638

my amp does in fact hand aac and I'd like it to handle it I don't want xbmc doing anything with aac other than passing it directly to my amp.

I notice in the ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>alsa:plug:hdmi</audiodevice>
        <channellayout>7</channellayout>
        <customdevice></customdevice>
        <custompassthrough></custompassthrough>
        <dontnormalizelevels>true</dontnormalizelevels>
        <dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
        <mode>2</mode>
        <passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughdevice>alsa:hdmi</passthroughdevice>
        <passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
        <passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
        <passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
    </audiooutput>

I do believe xbmc should be taking aac and converting it to AC3 but for me I only get surround sound I do not get a center channel.

-=Jason=-
Thats really strange. I don't understand that there isnt a fix for it. I dont think we are the only ones.
at the moment XBMC (or alsa or ffmpeg or whatever it takes...) is only capable of doing either an unaltered digital passthrough to a receiver who can hopefully decode multichannel AAC or do a PCM stereo downmix, not a real surround transcode. I know that there's some filters available for windows which are able to exactly do this on the fly, but I have no idea if there's something like this available for linux.

my best guess might be the probable answer from the devs: if you want it, code it by yourself Wink

p.s. at the moment I feel that some people in the forums start to get pissed as if they paid a license fee for their XBMC instead of memorizing that the devs are doing the hard work as a hobby besides their normal daytime jobs, and that a lot of functionality is actually dependent on completely different linux/ubuntu project groups and just not in the hands of the dev team. get real and calm down, guys.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:I know that there's some filters available for windows which are able to exactly do this on the fly, but I have no idea if there's something like this available for linux.

I read something about plex maybey that...
Before XBMC i used WDTV Live with custom firmware. I know there is a kind of program called Auto framerate/resolution.
There is an option to dowmix AAC to stereo. It;s linux based to.
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=897
Hannes The Hun Wrote:I know that there's some filters available for windows which are able to exactly do this on the fly, but I have no idea if there's something like this available for linux.

Yes, mplayer can do it (and i thought XBMC do it also, maybe i remember wrong).
guys, don't spread FUD. yes, xbmc transcodes multichan aac/whatever to ac3.
damn, really? could anybody give me a (legal!) DL link to a media file that actually has multichannel AAC inside? last time I checked (some QT trailers) XBMC always did a stereo downmix but maybe I have something mighty wrong here (was a long week after all...)
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:damn, really? could anybody give me a (legal!) DL link to a media file that actually has multichannel AAC inside? last time I checked (some QT trailers) XBMC always did a stereo downmix but maybe I have something mighty wrong here (was a long week after all...)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=635...stcount=16
a931048 Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=635...stcount=16

what custom option of you speak of?

can you post your .asoundrc or /etc.asound.conf file so I may test it out.

using HDMI only I get surround sound no center channel.

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:what custom option of you speak of?

can you post your .asoundrc or /etc.asound.conf file so I may test it out.

using HDMI only I get surround sound no center channel.

-=Jason=-

I was talking about this (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=634934&postcount=7) except that I had hdmi in all setting instead of custom hw:0,3. Works for me with Beta 3.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do XMBC recode AAC to AC3 on the fly?0