• 15(current)
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?
Guys,

What's the current status of boards like Asus E35M1-M Zacate Motherboard working with XBMC under Linux? Is it a no-go as of now (stable), but "maybe in the future" (-git)?

I'm putting together a new NAS, and if I go the Zacate route I want it to replace my Atom/Ion for HTPC purposes as well.
Ghost22 Wrote:That iso fixed up my lag problems, runs very smooth now, however only the live portion works.

I am unable to install it, it will just hang, and pop to a menu asking for what to do next, and no matter what you select is begins installing to the system.

Has this been resolved? Im stuck in the exact same spot.
How about Llano? i haven't seen any posts about the new APU, given its pretty new has anyone had a chance to do a build with one yet?
So are people happy with fusion?
Eman25th Wrote:How about Llano? i haven't seen any posts about the new APU, given its pretty new has anyone had a chance to do a build with one yet?

Yes, I'm also interested if the new A6 and A8 APU work fine with XBMC. Basically all adaptions made for Zacate / E-350 APUs should also work on the new Llano hardware, or am I wrong?

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
Thanks all for this great Tread! The start was great and very interesting but ATM I'm not seeing any positive reaction's about running XBMC (Linux) on a ATI system. (Is it still to early for this?)

I'm thinking of buying a AD02 for my DTS-MA needs but wan't EDEN to run on Linux and not Win..

Ps. found the next Tread -> HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform

More reading in progress Tongue
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
XBMC (Linux) + ATI on linux is getting better,,,,,

However, its not perfect, and might give u terrible headaches....
Roelio Wrote:Thanks all for this great Tread! The start was great and very interesting but ATM I'm not seeing any positive reaction's about running XBMC (Linux) on a ATI system. (Is it still to early for this?)

I'm thinking of buying a AD02 for my DTS-MA needs but wan't EDEN to run on Linux and not Win..

Ps. found the next Tread -> HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform

More reading in progress Tongue

I just wanted to chime in with my experience so far. After reading the initial anandtech review of fusion i decided to jump right in and purchased 3 AD02's figuring i would run windows for 1080p flash support, which still hasn't materialized btw and i expect it never will. I've had nothing but problems and at this point i'm on the fence of possibly just eating the cost and chucking them in the dumpster they are so bad. All 3 systems suffer from frequent lockups (i've tried windows 7 latest drivers which should be stable, openelec nightly builds which i know to be unstable, i'm not even going to bother wasting time compiling a nightly and running ubuntu) I'm running the latest bios from zotac and as i said i believe the issues to be hardware/bios level at this point. I once had the sound stop functioning out of the blue and after numerous restarts the only thing to resolve it was to pull the power from the system, which magically cleared things up.

Another thing to keep in mind, the stable version of xbmc for windows suffers from a stuttering playback issue after a few days/maybe a week of uptime on these systems forcing a reboot which is extremely annoying for something i just want to use as an appliance. I've been running xbmc on every tv in the house since the early days of the original xbox project and these are by far the worst problem's i've dealt with. I have several ion systems that work flawlessly as xbmc linux appliances running ubuntu minimal installs and would highly recommend going that route if you have the choice.
Thanks for your information Touser and to bad to hear that at the same time.. This is the same story that other people are talking about on other forum's...

So our only faith is the next gen ION 2 system....
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
Wow, I haven't run into that one yet. I've had this E350 machine running under Windows 7 for less than a week though. It comes out of hibernation and plays just fine so far. The only problem I had was the first board I received was semi-DOA, but the Newegg fixed that for me right quick.
I wanted to add one more little annoyance to the list i forgot in my delirious late-night rant Laugh. Regardless of OS the onboard wired network interface will completely drop the connection at random, i'd say about every 5 days or so forcing me to wander over and unplug/plug the cable back in to get things working again (i'm confident this isn't a switch problem).
go to the realtek website and update to new drivers its supposed to fix the problem
[deleted]
nemek Wrote:If some one is interested below is my custom xbmc-live ubuntu 10.10 x64 build (done using xbmc-live sdk). Its contains patched xbmc 10 compiled with vaapi enabled and all needed libs (ie libva, xvba-video etc) + latest catalyst 11.3 + mplayer-vaapi (for testing). Its confirmed to work with almost all hd movies ([email protected] / AP@L3 max - xvba limitation) on ati cards (probably uvd2 is required - ie hd 4xxx)
xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part1.rar
xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part2.rar
xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part3.rar
xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part4.rar
Hi Nemek,

thank you for your efforts!

Creating a bootable USB-stick with Unetbootin and then running live works great.
I can even press ctrl+alt+F2 and enter console to add own software, which is great.

However upon restart settings etc are removed - I suppose this is because I'm running some sort of Live mode.

So. I figured a solution would be to run the install and make a full install instead of running Live.

When selecting "install xbmc", during the loading installation components phase, an error appears stating that some component could not be loaded from the CDROM.

I've tried with universal usb creator and unetbootin. Same result.

Any tips on how to use your ISO and acutally make a new install, but still keeping your excellent support for VAAPI etc?

Would be so happy for your help. I've been tampering every night for a week to get xbmc working on ubuntu with VAAPI. So far I've found only two solutions: your ISO and the Openelec unstable release for amd64.

However neither satisfies me completely since I want to be able to add LAMP server and a SAMBA server.

Thank you so much,
regards ErikB
Hi Guys

It appears that the files for Nemeks custom XBMC Live have been deleted from Filesonic.com, is it possible to find the files elsewhere?

Thanks M8s
Marck
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?2