• 5(current)
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?
Temar Wrote:No, the reason is much simpler: ATI/AMD did not release any specs on the hardware which is used for video decoding (UVD). If we will ever see an open source implementation for hardware video decoding it will be purely based on shaders as XvBA is only available when signing a NDA.

I knew this was the case, yet this is the case will ALL GPUs on the market (Crystal HD is only exception). If the open source community has to wait until a non-NDA decoder hits the market, we will never see a open source driver decode x264. Even Intel keeps that code hidden.

I thought efforts were going into a shader based decoding method once gallium was done. A shader based method would work on all GPUs - Intel and AMD. It would also offer very robust decoding (something like VDPAU).

The real problem though is not the open source driver (which is ALWAYS behind) but the closed driver and its VAAPI support. Currently VAAPI lacks many features and the overal robustness of VDPAU. Till that changes nothing really improves in the Linux AMD HTPC market...

Basically, HD decoding via UVD is not opened up because AMD has not yet investigated the legal impact of it. Depending on the outcome of that investigation it might or might not become supported.

This comes straight from John Bridgman (AMD representative):

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...post158447
And for those who missed it, there is some "leaked" info on the fist M-ITX zacate board:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/...tform.html

I was dissapointed by the lack of gigabit lan though.
Robotica Wrote:Thanks for your valuable answer poofyhairguy.. Lot's of inside info. I was looking for.....

Hopefully, this Fusion platform will speed up development off those open source drivers since hardware specs look awfully good.... Either way, I don't expect problems in playing 50 Gb Blu rays by either CPU or GPU so this platform has my attention for now.

At least AMD seems to have learned some lessons from the past, because it decided to act with foresight in regards to its upcoming Fusion products: Open Source linux driver for Fusion products! Since patches are in place, this will be in distributions with kernel version 2.6.38 (i.e. Ubuntu 11.04 in March?). So until that time men should compile themselves. Or maybe Openelec or some other is planning on this potential HTPC-2011-success.

(news is already 1 month old but I only just found out: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27294)

Seems it is about shader based Hardware acc. but Bridgeman (amd Employee working the open source driver) says they are investigating UVD based Hardware acc!! http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...3&page=112

(CES from 6-9 jan. will show some E-350 prices also...)
The first motherboards are announced: Check this for a spec overview: http://www.eteknix.com/previews/amd-fusi...-667/page2

Those boards support (opposite to ION) DTS HD audio, builtin IR/Bluetooth 2.1 and the graphics are HD6xxx based. Things won't work out of the box; A topic like this one is needed.Maybe VLC or Mplayer as external player can solve those issues for the time being.
Man, AMD's 6xxx platform looks really good. They are fixing my biggest problem with them- how they decode. Moving to a more CUDA-ish model like NVidia does means that AMD will probably have CPU-level robustness in those GPUs (like Nvidia does).

Seriously this could be THE Windows solution day one, and a great Linux solution eventually.

I am still confident that AMD silently moved into this hardware battle with 2 weapons:
  • Amazing hardware (Check)
  • Focus on GPU-stuff for Linux (partly checked and in process)

The first to beat Intel, the latter to beat Nvidia. It's obvious this is the route to dominate the biggest markets (htpc, NAS, mobile, low-end desktop, nettops, netbooks, tablets, notebooks) in hardwareland in 2011.

For now (read: 2011), the battle on Windows is for AMD. For Linux, Nvidia still is the best option. But when you look at a complete solution (SoC, chipset/features, price, power consumption, etc), I see no reason to buy nextgen ION's anymore. Now all we need is just the statement: We will focus on Linux (maybe even open source) drivers in 2011. Then even the biggest Nvidia and Linux fans will buy this revolutionaire Fusion hardware. Mark my words: SoC's will rule the market from mobile phone via tablets, nettops, netbooks, notebooks, desktops, servers etc. Only some specific niches, like video card for gamers/designers and really high end processors for IT professionals, won't be dominated by SoC.

And I wouldn't be surprised if AMD did announce something like that. Look what they have recently done....

But what I like most (I would pay 15% extra to AMD just for the sake of competition to Intel):
- This forces Intel and Nvidia to open their drivers since most of the mentioned market will be based around Linux;
- Intel cannot compete on specs until 2012 (just on price);
- AMD can become a competitor to Intel and not just kept alive by Intel.

I think this Fusion-move is a gift for FOSS and for consumers.
Interesting information for the AMD Fusion. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for the next couple months to make a decision on hardware Wink
Also some leaked data on the chipsets: http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/20934/amd...ail-gelekt
I'm currently running XBMC/Gentoo-Linux on a Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11. I'm quite happy with this except that it has a fan. I'm now shopping for a second systemand placed an order for an ASUS AT5IONT-I DELUXE with an onboard DC-DC PSU.

However it seems like a similar AMD Fusion based system might be a possible alternative if the motherboards will hit the market soon.

Are there any fanless AMD Fusion boards which might be available in the near future?
I'm looking for something with:
DC-DC or small fanless PSU
I don't need a DVD/BR drive
I don't need a IR interface as I'm using my android phone as a remote
Small form factor, e.g. mini-ITX (will use a case with VESA mount)
Linux XBMC support
1080p support
HDMI output
Optical digital output

Any ideas?

Thanks!
listen, best way is to build your own custom HTPC...

add the hardware you want, choose the size you want,

and choose the power you want....
eskro Wrote:listen, best way is to build your own custom HTPC...

add the hardware you want, choose the size you want,

and choose the power you want....

Yes, that's my plan. I'm looking for an AMD Fusion based motherboard, presumably a mini-ITX board with a DC-DC PSU.
I just read up on these itx boards the other day.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherb...-preview/1

The asus one appears to be premium but also fanless so more of what your looking for. My question though is linux support. My experience with ati under nix has been nothing but bad, and that is the only thing limiting these products to me.
If you want to avoid hassle (especially with Linux) then stick to the tried and tested, i.e. Nvidia ION. AMD Fusion is brand new and it will take a while until it's well supported by Linux drivers.
soulnothing Wrote:I just read up on these itx boards the other day.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherb...-preview/1
The asus one appears to be premium but also fanless so more of what your looking for.

Thanks for the link. I've seen an article about the ASUS board previously and was a bit disappointed that the DELUXE version lacks an onboard DC-DC PSU as the difference between ASUS AT5IONT-I DELUXE and the ASUS AT5IONT-I is the DC-DC PSU.

However it's possible to use something like the picoPSU.

soulnothing Wrote:my experience with ati under nix has been nothing but bad, and that is the only thing limiting these products to me.

That's a good point. I should at least wait and see how xorg and acceleration is supported using the Fusion
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?2