SMB sources
Currently I connect to my unraid shares in OSX via finder prior to starting XBMC, which creates folders in /Volumes. I then add folders in /Volumes as sources in XBMC.

This means that I have to connect to the server before starting XBMC or my files will not be available (as there will be nothing in /Volumes). I've therefore got these connections in login items so they get connected on boot.

I notice that in the add sources options I can explicitly adde a SMB share. If I do it that way does it mean that XBMC will handle the connecting etc and so even if I've not connected to my shares before starting XBMC, XBMC will then do it for me when I try to access my library?

If so then this seems like a better way to do things. Am I right?

Cheers!
Well I've tried it out with a quick test folder and it does seem to play my movies without my needing to connect to the share outside of XBMC, which is great Smile

One thing that is odd though. I can play a movie fine from the library. But if I go into file mode and try and browse the source I get an error saying 'remote share - network is not connected'.

Not sure why it does that if it can play a movie from that share from the library?
Soul Wrote:Well I've tried it out with a quick test folder and it does seem to play my movies without my needing to connect to the share outside of XBMC, which is great Smile

One thing that is odd though. I can play a movie fine from the library. But if I go into file mode and try and browse the source I get an error saying 'remote share - network is not connected'.

Not sure why it does that if it can play a movie from that share from the library?

add your SMB server to /etc/hosts
Mate that's awesome!

Now have a weird problems with Music. I add the SMB source and I can browse into it but when I get into an album folder there are no files inside. Scanning to library adds nothing (presumably because it can't see the files).

However if I mount and add /Volumes/Music then I can see the files and everything works...
Might be the same problem noted here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=smb+music
Where's davilla when you need him Wink
where's xbmc.log ?
Hey davilla. Wasn't sure if it was something simple that didn't need one.

Here you go: http://pastebin.com/Yk6d4Gn2

It includes me browsing into one album via the SMB source at the end. If you need any more actions and therefore more logs, just let me know.

Appreciate your time.
Soul Wrote:Hey davilla. Wasn't sure if it was something simple that didn't need one.

Here you go: http://pastebin.com/Yk6d4Gn2

It includes me browsing into one album via the SMB source at the end. If you need any more actions and therefore more logs, just let me know.

Appreciate your time.

Maybe a skin thing, try with Confluence
Nope same problem with Confluence Sad
Anything else I could try davilla?
not a clue Sad
I tried using the smb link from the logfile in a finder connect dialog. Worked fine and all the mp3s appeared, so whatever it is it seems unique to XBMC, and unique to my music folders.

I can add the source in Video files and browsing it doesn't work there either.
Davilla one difference between my Music and Movies folders are the permissions - all my music files and folders are 777 so that squeezecenter can read them all. Could that be causing problems?

I'd have thought not as 777 means anything can do anything.....
Davilla I changed to 644 for the actual mp3 files in one album and now the files now show up!!!

Is that a bug? 777 shouldn't prevent XBMC from seeing the files?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB sources0