How to use Album Artist instead of Artist? (compilation problem)
Hello all

After days of scanning, Ive got my audio library in... but it has added every Artist on all my compilation albums. I know there is a setting to NOT add artists from compilation albums, but i prefer to not do that because there are situations where I DO want a compilation album listed, but by Album Artist and not Artist...

For example, a tribute album for the Pixies... The artist will be different for every track, but I would tag the Album Artist as "Pixies". If I listed it as a compilation, it would be ignored, if I did not ignore compilations, I would get every artist on this album listed as a separate artist, which I definitely do not want.

Is there a way to display Album Artists rather than Artists?

Thanks guys,

Mark.
Tag the tracks correctly.

There should be a tag for "album artist" and a tag for "artist"

simply set the Tag for "album artist" as "Pixies"
then
tag the "artist" feild as the actual artist.

now there should also be a tag for "compilation". simply tick it and your done.

This album should now show under "pixies" and in the compilations section of xbmc but also tell you the exact artist of the track when playing it.

You do need a decent mp3 tagging app to get access to all theses TAG options. (I recommend "TagTuner 2.0")

RBX
rudeboyx Wrote:Tag the tracks correctly.

There should be a tag for "album artist" and a tag for "artist"

simply set the Tag for "album artist" as "Pixies"
then
tag the "artist" feild as the actual artist.

now there should also be a tag for "compilation". simply tick it and your done.

This album should now show under "pixies" and in the compilations section of xbmc but also tell you the exact artist of the track when playing it.

You do need a decent mp3 tagging app to get access to all theses TAG options. (I recommend "TagTuner 2.0")

RBX

Hi mate, thanks for the response... but I think I didnt make myseif understood... I have tagged my music properly, but I do not see a way to display Album Artist in xbmc.

It does not seem to be an option (not with Transparency! skin).

Thanks,
Mark.
ps I love Tag and Rename, tops IMO Wink
I tag all my albums by album artists and thats how they are displayed to me.

for example. I tag all my compilation albums as "album artist" = "various artists" and it will show under the artist "various Artists"

(you may have to have "Hide artist that appear on compilations" selected for this to work)

PS - the skin has nothing to do with the way music library information is displayed, only the layout, and it is not a setting in xbmc. its built into the way the library works.
rudeboyx Wrote:I tag all my albums by album artists and thats how they are displayed to me.

for example. I tag all my compilation albums as "album artist" = "various artists" and it will show under the artist "various Artists"

(you may have to have "Hide artist that appear on compilations" selected for this to work)

Hi
Tx again...
I will experiment a bit. The trouble is it takes AGES to scan / rescan albums (2500 albums).

If I make ID3 tag changes, which command is better in the context menu, "update library" or "query info for all artists" ?

Cheers
Mark.
fredphoesh Wrote:Hi
Tx again...
I will experiment a bit. The trouble is it takes AGES to scan / rescan albums (2500 albums).

If I make ID3 tag changes, which command is better in the context menu, "update library" or "query info for all artists" ?

Cheers
Mark.

iv always found music library updating a slow and painfull process. but what you can do is switch back to "file mode" and highlight the folder with your specifically changed album in and select "scan item to libray" (i think thats what is called) then it only scans the specific album and not your entire music library again.

But generally i'll just use "update library" and leave it whilst whatching a couple of films or something.

I beleive "query info for all artists" just scrapes artist info off the net for the artists already in your library.
Cheers rudeboyx,
Thanks for all the input!
Mark.
Turn off internet lookups and you'll have nice fast scans. You can always query online information afterwards (once you're sure everything is setup correctly) via the context menu.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Turn off internet lookups and you'll have nice fast scans. You can always query online information afterwards (once you're sure everything is setup correctly) via the context menu.

Ok, thanks jm, I will try that.

I switched on this morning, havnig made changes to about 8 albums, and the superlong&slow scan started again... scanning the whole library.

I was thinking, wouldnt it be better if there was a tiny app running in the BG which has the sole job of taking note of your "watch folders", then when xbmc loaded, it would report the changes and would scan only those sub-folders? That would make daily scanning a lot faster.

Cheers,
Mark.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to use Album Artist instead of Artist? (compilation problem)0