Xbmc asks for Password on unprotected Folders
Hi there,

i've been having an issue lately with singular folders on my network not being able to be accessed, as it asks for a password. i've got an appleTV and my server is running XP SP3, as i had incredible troubles getting the previous setup (i had 2 xbox classics running XBMC, and just upgraded one to an AppleTV) with the user/pass problem, but usually a reboot or an unshare/reshare would sort it out. i'm completely at a loss, as i can access most other folders, there is just one or two it asks for a password in. any ideas?
for example, i will go into my TV directory, and some shows will open no problem, while others will ask for a password to enter. this is WITHIN the shared directory.
It prompts for a username and password only if it receives an "authentication required" response from smb.

It could be that the files or folders may not have permissions set on them correctly. Windows has both NTFS permissions and sharing permissions which are distinct, and one does not always imply the other. eg moving a file into a location may not update it's permissions, where as copying it may.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

so would i have to reshare the files one by one? whats the best way to rectify this?

cheers
Find a file that's doing it. Right click on the folder and specifically tell it to inherit permissions (in windows).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

cheers man, i appreciate it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc asks for Password on unprotected Folders0