[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations
FishOil Wrote:If you are sure your adapter in compatible.

Go to the prefs screen and make sure your adapter is named correctly.

If you dont know what the name is type iwconfig in the terminal.

wlan0 802.11b/g Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate: 0 kb/s
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
Power Management: off
Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=0 dBm
Rx invalid nwid: 0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag: 0
Tx excessive retries: 0 Invalid misc: 0 Missed beacon: 0

wlan0 is the one set, so that is correct.

what does the 'power management off' mean? does this mean my wireless card is not working at the moment?
Raqueem Wrote:wlan0 802.11b/g Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate: 0 kb/s
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
Power Management: off
Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=0 dBm
Rx invalid nwid: 0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag: 0
Tx excessive retries: 0 Invalid misc: 0 Missed beacon: 0

wlan0 is the one set, so that is correct.

what does the 'power management off' mean? does this mean my wireless card is not working at the moment?

Confused for the people who have the same problem as me.. apparently you need to turn off the Plug and Play option in your bios ..

Well go figure that out .. No
Just wanted to say thanks as wicd worked perfectly right off the bat for me!
Antec Fusion Max Remote: Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo; 1GB DDR2; AMD Athlon 64 3500+; nVidia GT210 512MB DDR2; Boot: 320GB SATA; Media Storage: 2 x 1TB RAID 1 on Sil3114; Ubuntu 11.04 minimal + XBMC
I was able to connect with my wireless pc card after exiting XBMC to the terminal and doing this setup but it does go in and out- any recommendation?.... I had to do this install first to get the firmware (automatic woot woot)

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#device
Ive done this, but get "no wireless networks found"
I am using a acer revo 3700.

Anyone got any ideas ?
If you still have the wired connection plugged in take it out.. My wifi didnt show up until i was unplugged
bahdbwoy Wrote:If you still have the wired connection plugged in take it out.. My wifi didnt show up until i was unplugged

Thanks, just tried that, didnt make a difference though. Sad
right, ive managed to connect, and am able to verify that its working by ping http://www.google.com

But the problem is that every time i reboot, or go back to xbmc. xbmc doesn't connect to the network, I only have a working in terminal.
Quote:But the problem is that every time i reboot, or go back to xbmc. xbmc doesn't connect to the network, I only have a working in terminal.
Make sure no other networks are set to autoconnect, thats is the only issue I have seen. A network that you do not have access to could still be set to auto by misstake, if several are set to auto the strongest will be connected I think.
vikjon0 Wrote:Make sure no other networks are set to autoconnect, thats is the only issue I have seen. A network that you do not have access to could still be set to auto by misstake, if several are set to auto the strongest will be connected I think.

Ive checked, also in wicd-curses i have to try numerous times to connect..Sometimes it still wont connect.

When i go back to xbmc, it usually doesn't work.

And when it does work i can see the weather, add ons etc..., then when i tell it to scrape a folder, it will lose connection. and wont be able to connect again.
did anyone find a fix for the wifi dropping out issue? If my router goes down for a moment, i need to restart my revo to get it to connect again. similarly, if i sleep the machine, it doesnt pick up the wifi again! nightmare!!!¬¬`
Hi guys what is a good compatible wifi usb adapter,i try mij xtreamer wifi stick and a d-link usb stick both doesnt work.
Please some advice
skweezer Wrote:right, ive managed to connect, and am able to verify that its working by ping http://www.google.com

But the problem is that every time i reboot, or go back to xbmc. xbmc doesn't connect to the network, I only have a working in terminal.

How did you get it to detect a network on your 3700? I am having the same issue. Thanks.
Just got my r3700 and nearly there with the set up. I'm having the same problem as above, I get wireless in wicd-curses but when I boot to xbmc it says it is connected but no internet is available. I can acess weather but nothing shows...
I didnt manage to fix this, was a real pain in the ass. Even when i did have a connection it was really slow..

Gave up and went wired.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations1