MKV files driving me Mad!! Help please...
Hi, hope someone can help as this is causing me some some frustration. I have just purchased a new AV amp and was hoping to watch some HD files with surround sound. I am trying to play blu-ray rips in MKV format. At varying points in a film the screen freezes and the film goes out of sync. I am playing the file on a laptop which accesses the file off my main pc over a 100mb home network.

All files start off playing well, but all eventually fail. I have tried moving the file to the same pc they are being played on, but makes not difference, so it is not the fact it is going over a network.

The laptop I am using is connected to an Onkyo 807 which in turn connects to a 55" Samsung LED. Sound is routed via optical out of the laptop.

All files fail to play and video breaks down and sound goes out of sink and then the only option is to close the file and start the file again, but the same thing happens at various points in the film. I have tried several HD bluray rips in MKV format and all are the same.

I have also tried several different builds of XBMC for windows, all the same.

Any ideas anyone or suggestions?

May be worth pointing out that the same thing happens when playing the file via VLC - starting to think it amy be a memory problem! I have two of these laptops and both are the same
The Laptop is an Acer 6920g spec below, which should be powerfull enough.

Processor
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 / 1.83 GHz .Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core .64-bit Computing Yes .Data Bus Speed 667.0 MHz .Chipset Type Mobile Intel GM965 Express .Cache Memory
Type L2 cache .Cache size 2.0 MB .RAM
Installed Size 3.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max) .Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 667.0 MHz .RAM form factor SO DIMM 200-pin .RAM configuration features 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 2 GB

thanks.....
Zimpker Wrote:Hi, hope someone can help as this is causing me some some frustration. I have just purchased a new AV amp and was hoping to watch some HD files with surround sound. I am trying to play blu-ray rips in MKV format. At varying points in a film the screen freezes and the film goes out of sync. I am playing the file on a laptop which accesses the file off my main pc over a 100mb home network.

All files start off playing well, but all eventually fail. I have tried moving the file to the same pc they are being played on, but makes not difference, so it is not the fact it is going over a network.

The laptop I am using is connected to an Onkyo 807 which in turn connects to a 55" Samsung LED. Sound is routed via optical out of the laptop.

All files fail to play and video breaks down and sound goes out of sink and then the only option is to close the file and start the file again, but the same thing happens at various points in the film. I have tried several HD bluray rips in MKV format and all are the same.

I have also tried several different builds of XBMC for windows, all the same.

Any ideas anyone or suggestions?

thanks.....

Start by working the problem. XBMC.log for starters.
Typical symptoms of a system not powerful enough to play HD MKV files. Run XBMC windowed while the movie plays and look at your processor use in task manager. I'd be willing to bet you're at 100%.
+1

Your laptop isn't powerful enough to play HD blu-ray rips.
I will be very disappointed if the laptop is not powerful enough as I opted for this laptop due to its multimedia capabilities for use as a HTPC. I had thought it plenty powerful enough as its more powerful than the aser rivo etc. that people use as xbmc machines, but gave me more functionality.

Could someone check the spec below and advise if this is the case or do I need to set the machine up using XBMC live or other to free resources. Any help appreciated.

Technical Specs

Processor – Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 / 2.00 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Memory -3 GB DDR2 RAM
Storage = 250 GB
OS -Windows 7 32 bit
Display -16″ HD Widescreen Display
BLU RAY COMBO
Graphics -NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500M GS with up to 1280 MB of TurboCache™ (512 MB of dedicated GDDR2 VRAM, up to 768 MB of shared system memory), supporting NVIDIA® PureVideo™ HD technology, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 10
Audio -True5.1- channel surround sound output, High-definition audio support, S/PDIF support for digital speakers.
Dolby Home theatre HD audio
HDMI output.
Did you try DXVA decoding? This way you will offlod your CPU and decoding will be done through GPU... Probably you should try also the DSPlayer build, decoding through external codecs (witch also let you use DXVA Wink )
Zimpker - ignore Davilla's advice at your peril. Do as he requests and provide a debug log, you had the ear of a dev.

Though enabling dxva within xbmc may provide a resolution.
Jeff Flowerday Wrote:+1

Your laptop isn't powerful enough to play HD blu-ray rips.

The onboard video is most likely where you are going wrong... although you have two different specs in your signature, so now I'm not sure what config you are using. try dxva as suggested, but if your onboard video sucks, there's not alot you can do about it.

Does this only happen with 1080p encodes or are lower bitrate 720p files also a problem?

One other thing to check.... Did you disable powersaving features on the laptop? Also, make sure Intel SpeedStep or similiar CPU throttling technology that will downclock the CPU to save battery is disabled in BIOS.
Big Grin 
compcentral Wrote:The onboard video is most likely where you are going wrong... although you have two different specs in your signature, so now I'm not sure what config you are using. try dxva as suggested, but if your onboard video sucks, there's not alot you can do about it.

Does this only happen with 1080p encodes or are lower bitrate 720p files also a problem?

One other thing to check.... Did you disable powersaving features on the laptop? Also, make sure Intel SpeedStep or similiar CPU throttling technology that will downclock the CPU to save battery is disabled in BIOS.

Hi, the second spec is the correct one, was in a rush when posting and copied the wrong spec! The graphics is the nvidia model, which has always been good and been able to handle the playback of bluray discs in the drive with no problems.

I udated the xbmc build and this made a big difference, also changed to dxva as suggested and this has reduced CPU usage down to around 15%. I will check the bios as advised, but seems to play MKV ok now although I have not tried to watch a whole movie yet!

thanks....
davilla Wrote:Start by working the problem. XBMC.log for starters.

Hi, apologies for not posting a log, I will do so in future. I have now updated the build to the Dharma beta 2 which helped. I also changed the settings as advised and all seems to work well now. Have run the problem files in debug mode and average CPU is down to 12.1% frame rate 24fps.

thanks for the continued development of XBMC.
Sorry for saying your machine wasn't fast enough but you didn't mention you had a Nvidia GPU, so I assume you were only capable of CPU decoding.
Jeff Flowerday Wrote:Sorry for saying your machine wasn't fast enough but you didn't mention you had a Nvidia GPU, so I assume you were only capable of CPU decoding.

No problems, all helped in the long run as I got to the awnser...

thanks for taking time to reply....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV files driving me Mad!! Help please...0