Delay when transitioning between menus
I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but I have been using the SVN transparency since the Dharma official betas (and even a little before) and one thing that I attributed to XBMC being in beta was the fact that transitioning between menus (e.g. home menu to TV Shows or Movies and back) has a much longer delay than I was used to with 9.11/Camelot. There's even a significant delay (4/5 seconds) just trying to exit the program.

It was still happening with Dharma Beta 2 so I tried switching back to the Confluence skin and bam, back to fast transitions (and exiting is instant). I was wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this or is it a known issue? I've been keeping up to date with the SVN versions but the problem still hasn't gone away.
I can post a debug log if needed.
i can't reproduce this. Confluence may be a bit faster, but only a fraction of a second on my end.
i don't experience any delays with T! and exiting is instant on my machine.

not sure if there would be anything relevant in a Debug Log, but post one anyway.

what kind of hardware are you running xbmc on, if i may ask?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I am also experiencing a delay for certain things.

Like the op mentioned, for me, sometimes there is a delay in opening the movies or tv shows, where following the click, the menu and other items float out of the screen immediately, but the background is displayed frozen for a few seconds before it switches to the movies or tv shows. It usually tends to happen the first time I do it after a while. But subsequent openings are really quick (like they are already cached or something). For instance if I watch a video for an hour, go back to homescreen and then try to open movies, I experience a delay. But if I repeat it right afterwards, going back to homescreen and re-enter movies, no delay.

Also, it I restart xbmc and then play a video, the first time I open the osd menu, the picture freezes for 3 or 4 seconds while audio keeps playing, then the menu opens and the picture speeds up and catches up with the audio. Subsequent openings of osd menu have no lag though, only happens the first time. It also does not happen with confluence.

In terms of exiting, I get a little bit of a delay in opening the shutdown menu (only sometimes), but when shutdown is clicked on, it exits right away.

All these problems are intermittent, they only happen part of the time. I tried to post a debug log, but of course, when I enable it, I can't reproduce any of them, while normally, the osd lag occurs almost every "first" time.

Sorry about that and I'll try again a little bit later as I know this rant is useless without a log.

Thanks.
I concur on the fact that it's intermittent. It usually happens after I've been using XBMC for a little while (e.g. watched a movie), and it's usually the first time, then on subsequent attempts it's usually OK but then later on it might cause a delay again.
There's also usually a fairly long delay when refreshing a movie (for it to ask to ignore existing details and refresh from internet), and then the refresh is slow also. These were very quick in Confluence. Unfortunately I didn't do this when outputting a debug log.

As for exiting, it's usually always slow. The shutdown menu sometimes delays a little bit in coming up, but when I actually hit the X to close XBMC, it usually causes a significant delay (sometimes around 5 seconds or more). As mentioned before, it was instantaneous with Confluence.

Anyway, I have posted a debug log here. I loaded up XBMC and played a TV show and then tried to get it to cause a delay by going to different menus, but it didn't seem to be doing it much. Perhaps the video didn't play for long enough, or perhaps something was done to the latest SVN that I just updated to yesterday. I did get somewhat of a delay going to the settings menu, and of course the usually few seconds delay when exiting.

In answer to your question about what h/w I'm running XBMC with, the specs are as follows (as can also be seen in the debug log):
CPU: Atom 330 1.6GHz o/c to 2.0
Memory: 4GB
Video: Nvidia ION

I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue though, since these delays didn't exist when I was using the stable 9.11 version.

I hope this helps.
I can confirm this happening. On a 3.6 GHz Core2Duo (E8400) with GTX 460 graphic card.

Edit: sorry, didn't notice 3.10 was available. I need to try that, as I was running SVN version...
in order to troubleshoot this, please test with Transparency! v3.10
and xbmc Dharma beta 2 only.

also please state your OS (it might be a windows issue only, or maybe only happing on 64 bit systems...)

if you can catch the issue in a debuglof that would be great,
if you find a way to reproduce the issue, that would even be better.

als since everyone so far reports the problem is intermittent,
make very very sure the issue does not happen with Confluence.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie, I updated to 3.10 yesterday and will report back (it's happening on 3.10 as well). I'm Windows 7 x64 and an Nvidia GTX 460. "Luckily" I switched card last Sunday, and before I was using an ATI 4890 that showed the same problem.

We can at least exclude that it's an ATI/Nvidia issue.

Edit: yesterday I was too tired... fell asleep on the couch Big Grin It'll be for the week-end.
Star 
I can report a slight stickiness on first movement across the menu's, it 'feels' like the images are re-loading cache... after the initial hit it's smooth. It's not in Confluence, I just chalked it up to my heavy graphic configuration and customizations.

I'm running win7/64 3.6ghz 1gig/5770 but the drives are kinda slow.
I take back what I said above.

I thought the problems still persisted after updating to 3.10 (but I might not have properly uninstalled the svn version yet at that point)

But further testing and use within the last few days with 3.10 in win 7 dharma showed me that the problems I mentioned above are no longer there. I am getting a pretty smooth experience with this skin. I will keep using and testing and hopefully I won't notice any delays or stutter.
I updated to 3.10 (erased my whole Transparency dir and re-downloaded it with Tortoise SVN) and though the issues are a little better, they still remain (especially with the exiting - that hasn't gotten any better for the most part).
As stated in my debug log, I'm running Win7 x64.
I deleted my old Transparency folder (that was managed by Tortoise SVN) and manually re-installed the skin in the new addons folder and it has improved performance. I suspect XBMC and Tortoise might not have been getting along. It's still not as fast as it was before, but I don't have the really bad delays I used to have.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Delay when transitioning between menus0