When/How do I use my LCD TV's 24hz ability?
Question 
Hey all, I have a Samsung B750 LCD TV, it is 1080p 240hz (or is that related to 24p?), all of that neat stuff but right now I've just been watching all my content at the standard 60hz setting.

When am I supposed to use the 24p mode? Any time I'm watching a 1080p x264? or only certain rips? How about standard definition?

I haven't gotten familiar with the TV or the functions so I'm not sure what to do. It also has some post processing stuff like AutoMotion Plus, do I enable that stuff when watching an x264?

Thanks in advance!
This was supposed to go in the WINDOWS section !!!

I am using WINDOWS 7 and a GeForce 210 video card

Thanks
There is a setting in xbmc: "Auto adjust display refresh rate"
when enabled, it allows xbmc to change the output refresh rate to match the video only while playing a vid.

For instance, xbmc will run at 60hz when you're browsing through menus. But if you start playing a movie that is 23.976hz, xbmc will temporarily change the output refresh rate to 24p. Your TV should automatically detect that and switch to 24hz (or probably 240hz) in your case. When you stop the movie, xbmc will revert the output back to 60 hz and again, your TV should automatically detect it and switch to the appropriate framerate.

Just try it and see, in my case, it works fine, except the audio is slightly out of sync. Other people have also reported this issue on some threads, I guess it depends on your graphics card and/or tv. I am happy keeping it at 60 hz and have no sync or stuttering issues.

Hope it helps
In my case the audio out of sync in 24p is resolved when you set your Windows desktop refresh rate to 24 Hz. XBMC is still set to adjust refresh rate.
spoke too early: I also have a -0.200s lag in PAL videos (when auto switching from 24Hz desktop refresh rate to 50Hz).

In the end it seems that disabling the option of "adjust refresh rate" is the best solution...
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I have tried both of those methods, and found that setting desktop to 24hz as well as "adjust refresh rate" on together works but the audio stream will need adjusting, usually -0.200s as mentioned

However I have one more thing thats kind of irking me. I get great, fluid playback but sometimes during panning scenes I'll notice a micro stutter. I'm talking a very minute stutter, almost like a single dropped frame, and although it's so minute that other people I've showed it to don't see it -- I do. What the heck could be causing that? My computer is a beast.. Q6600, 4GB RAM, and I'm using DXVA2 on my GeForce 210 videocard.. Is anyone familiar with these brief interruptions or micro stutters in fluidity? If I could get the video to play 100% hiccup free it would be just incredible. I have a feeling it's dropping frames..

Thanks again for the help so far
locust Wrote:I get great, fluid playback but sometimes during panning scenes I'll notice a micro stutter. I'm talking a very minute stutter, almost like a single dropped frame, and although it's so minute that other people I've showed it to don't see it -- I do. What the heck could be causing that?

Me too. I've always assumed it was telecine judder. A good example is the start of the original Alien film where the spaceship moves across the screen. I've found that messing around with the screen refresh rate and setting "sync playback to display" minimises it.

Setting the screen refresh to 24Hz seems best, but this is slow enough to cause flicker when moving the mouse. I've found 50Hz works just as well, possibly because it's close to the 2 x 24Hz rate of the film.

JR
locust Wrote:However I have one more thing thats kind of irking me. I get great, fluid playback but sometimes during panning scenes I'll notice a micro stutter. I'm talking a very minute stutter, almost like a single dropped frame, and although it's so minute that other people I've showed it to don't see it -- I do. What the heck could be causing that? My computer is a beast.. Q6600, 4GB RAM, and I'm using DXVA2 on my GeForce 210 videocard.. Is anyone familiar with these brief interruptions or micro stutters in fluidity? If I could get the video to play 100% hiccup free it would be just incredible. I have a feeling it's dropping frames..

Thanks again for the help so far

And nearly took me to the brink of insanity.. It could just be telecine judder rather than dropping frames or rendering issues, in which case thats just video for you, 24hz will be the closest solution you'll ever get.

However having said that: you could be getting lost frames (press 'o' whilst playing the movie and see if the frame drop count increases) or problems with read errors. Check your xbmc.log file (see the wiki for details on how to find that) and see if you have errors like "read error -1,22 retrying".

I had this issue under linux and have moved from a samba source to an nfs source to resolve. I note you're running under windows but is your file source local or over the network?

Somewhere in this long, rambling answer there may be some help... or at least a few suggestions on how to find if you have a technical problem or are very aware of frame disturbances (I am, it's very irritating).

Cheers

Ed
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yep, I have been checking the 'o' button during playback and sure enough the drop: count increases. It's not alot, but after an hour or so of watching its usually like 30 or 40 per hour.

I am convinced this must be the reason, because some scenes are perfectly smooth while others give me this little "hiccup" in perfect fluid motion.. What is my next step towards troubleshooting this?

Ed: Are you saying your drop: counter never increases? I wonder why mine is!

Thanks again in advance for the help!
cheers
locust Wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yep, I have been checking the 'o' button during playback and sure enough the drop: count increases. It's not alot, but after an hour or so of watching its usually like 30 or 40 per hour.

I am convinced this must be the reason, because some scenes are perfectly smooth while others give me this little "hiccup" in perfect fluid motion.. What is my next step towards troubleshooting this?

Ed: Are you saying your drop: counter never increases? I wonder why mine is!

Thanks again in advance for the help!
cheers

Hi

I usually see 7 dropped frames at the beginning of playback as everything syncs up, after that its unusual to get a dropped frame. What I used to have was micro stutters but no dropped frames, checking the log I'd find errors saying read error -1.22 retrying. Changing from SMB (Samba / windows file share) over to NFS has got rid of those errors. I still get small hiccoughs sometimes but those appear to be small encoding issues.

To start the diagnosis I'd go to system and turn on the debugging option then play something that has caused an issue and look at the xbmc.log file. See whats in there.

What system do you have, it;s most likely that your first port of call should be your graphics card and to see if its overheating.

Let us know what you find

Ed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
When/How do I use my LCD TV's 24hz ability?0