App store developers, why do you ask money for your stuff?
I know there's a €99 fee to become a developer. And that might be a justification. But when I see the prices... I'm just curious, this project has been free for everybody for years and years, surviving on donations.

It's a mild criticism, you are obviously entitled to do whatever you want with your time and your work.

And to recover the initial €99 there are several ways. Ransom model comes to mind.
it´s reasonable for any dev to make some money with all their efforts as long as the customers keep their freedoms and prices are fair...
Sure, it's just that it's pretty strange to have XBMC for free and a product that piggybacks on it being sold at a price.

Take the Logitech Squeezebox line of products. While it's true that SqueezeServer is a free download, the business model has always been that of selling the hardware. The developers of SqueezeServer have a regular pay, etc.
In that case, I understand iPeng and other apps to be on sale with a price. It's more or less in line with the philosophy of the project.

With XBMC... not so much. But maybe it's just me. And again I stress: devs are more than free to do whatever they like. I'm mainly interested in the reasoning behind it all.

Cheers! Smile
There are a gillion pieces of commercial software based around a GPL foundation. So that´s no argument.

As a paying customer you have the option not to buy or use that software if you think it should be free. In the menawhile, you always can create a free version yourself or wait for someone to do just that.

But I really liked the squeezebox model (I am a squeezbox version 1 user) before it became logitech. They showed how a open source community could stand. Otherwise, it would have been forked and monetized by the fork. Same with Boxee and XBMC.

So the reason is simple: Make some money with their efforts.

btw: Open Source purists would never develop software on a Apple platform
There's also a sort of expectation that everyone will pay for apps in the app store. On the android market, you see a lot more free/add supported versions and paid add-free versions. I'm a fan of this model, which is one of the reasons I exclusively develop on Android.
.. one of the main reasons I bought an HTC Desire rather than an Iphone 4G (I'd be lying if I said £140 on top of an already overlong contract wasnt a factor) Laugh
Adam B. Wrote:There's also a sort of expectation that everyone will pay for apps in the app store. On the android market, you see a lot more free/add supported versions and paid add-free versions. I'm a fan of this model, which is one of the reasons I exclusively develop on Android.

No, you're Android developer for some other reason.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

ashlar Wrote:I know there's a €99 fee to become a developer. And that might be a justification. But when I see the prices... I'm just curious, this project has been free for everybody for years and years, surviving on donations.

I agree, and some of them are free. I'm using:

uRemote http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/uremote-x...30858?mt=8

and

Plexures http://itunes.apple.com/se/app/plexures/...86486?mt=8

Now, don't let the name misguide you with a second one. It's a s a gesture based remote for Plex Media Center _and XBMC_.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Robotica Wrote:btw: Open Source purists would never develop software on a Apple platform

pshhhh.... Davilla may hear you.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

haha... it´s hard to deal with companies like Microsoft, Apple and Intel being a purist.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
App store developers, why do you ask money for your stuff?0