• 1(current)
Video playback jerky/stuttery after a few days!
I am running XBMC for windows on a quad core AMD running Windows 7 x64. 6 gig of ram. Perc 5i controller running 4 1TB SATA disks.

What I notice is after a few days of running, the video playback very slowly starts to get stuttery and jerky. Sound is fine and stays in sync.
it looses the smoothness and a little like when doing large background pans with XVID codec.

Quick exit and restart of XBMC and everything is fine again for a few days.

Does it using soft and hardware decoding and all video formats.

Sees to be related to timings as CPU, Memory and disk are hardly being used.

Is it possible this is caused by CPU scaling?

Have noticed this for a while. Running Beta 1. Just installed beta 2 to try.
Are you putting the machine in standby/suspend/hibernate while XBMC is running? Many others (including me) have observed this happening - there's no need to wait for a few days, just sometimes if you put the machine to sleep and wake it up again, video is stuttering.
Nope. No sleep or standby. The PC is also a NAS and is online 24/7.
I've had this problem too but it requires a reboot of the system to fix. I suspected it was a memory leak.

I'm running an Intel system with Win7 x64 & 6GB RAM.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Hmm. Poss not related.

My mem and CPU are fine.

Exit and restart of XBMC fixes playback. Windows stays as is.
Does not make a difference if I use software versus hardware decoding.
grmf, must be something ala a timer overflowing.
Is there any extra info I can gather or areas to look to track it down?
dusty_nz Wrote:Is there any extra info I can gather or areas to look to track it down?

have you tried to disable aero desktop?
Oh.

Looks like it was disabled a while ago.

Running Classic desktop.
yeah, lots of us have this problem. It's persisted through just about every version since before 9.11 and no one seems to know why. My buddy has an ATI card, I have NVidia... we both have it. Both using powerful PCs, both on windows XP.

Only a restart will fix it.

Who knows..

-TK
Quote:[A]fter a few days of running, the video playback very slowly starts to get stuttery and jerky. Sound is fine and stays in sync.
it looses the smoothness and a little like when doing large background pans with XVID codec.

Quick exit and restart of XBMC and everything is fine again for a few days.

I just logged on to post this exact same issue. I'm using the latest Dharma beta, but the problem has persisted for awhile.

I run XBMC 95%+ of the time on my media box. Teaching the family to restart the interface every day or two is a bummer.

Anyone have any solutions or user-friendly workarounds?

Edit:
I'm running Windows 7 with an ATI gfx card. Things I've tried to fix the problem (none worked):

- Enable/Disable Aero
- True Fullscreen v. Fullscreen Window
- Vsync
- Minimizing/Maximizing XBMC
- New GFX Drivers
- Fresh XBMC Install
Hiya,

Just wanted to join the choir about this - I experience the same after some time .... only relief is to re-start XBMC. I've tried to combine all the various video and audio settings to no avail .....
While I have configured Eventghost to exit XBMC before entering suspend mode - and re-start XBMC when resuming - this is more cumbersome than merely suspending the PC with XBMC running ....

I am wondering if anyone from the dev team are on to this as it seems to me somewhat more that an isolated occurance ..... ??

I use Win7 Ultimate 32 bit on a Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 (2GB ram) running Dharma Beta 2 .....

Cheers,
StoneT
i think i'm getting this a bit worse than most.

my frame stutter kicks in about half-way through a two hour film. cpu/gpu/mem all seem fine performance wise, but for some reason the playback always goes to rubbish after about an hour.

a restart fixes the issue, but it's a bit inconvenient when watching a movie.

granted, i haven't done much troubleshooting, but it's sounding like a similar issue.
Please post a debug log.
bobo1on1.. it could be the double timestamps that goes wonky. especially the absolute counter. If the values get too large they loose precision.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

• 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback jerky/stuttery after a few days!2