XBMC Live vs. Linux Desktop version?
I can't imagine that this question hasn't been asked before but i can't find it anywhere. Whats the benefit of installing Live vs. Installing linux and the linux version of xbmc? Seems to me it would be better to have linux available on your setup then just xbmc. But there must be a benefit to a live install.

Right now im just messing around with xbmc and linux on an old computer. But i plan getting a revo someday

thanks
that appliance feeling. out of the box setup of stuff like gfx drivers, no need to fiddling with X setup yourself aso. as lightweight as it can be, hardly any background services.
Live is nice because it gives you a base ubuntu install running xbmc. You can install other things if so inclined. If you also want a linux gui, then a full linux install would probably be the better option.

My 2 revos are used solely for xbmc. So live is the best way to go for my purposes.
thanks, I guess once i get into this a little more i'll figure out what's best for me. Right now i'm just having fun learning all of this. (and learning linux at the same time)

Maybe i'll try putting a live install on my other hard drive and then i can fiddle with both until i get my revo.

thanks again
What about as compared to windows 7? Seems like with the latest build theyll run video equally well with gpu acceleration but what about for low power htpc like zotac/revo/asrock? have people seen noticeable improvement in xbmc performance? specifically with heavy skins like aeon?
The only 2 reasons to run a htpc on top of windows 7 is for newer/odd hardware support since most things ship with windows drivers and linux takes a little while to catch up. And if you plan on using the whole OS underneath for gaming or other activities
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna jump ship to Linux immediately in that case.
dubstyle311 Wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna jump ship to Linux immediately in that case.

I run the Windows version for Netflix.

Otherwise you don't really need it.

(you can work around this with Linux version using the PlayOn UPnP software, though).
Anyone reccomend a distro? Ubuntu i assume?
dubstyle311 Wrote:Anyone reccomend a distro? Ubuntu i assume?

XBMCLive
waldo22 Wrote:I run the Windows version for Netflix.

Otherwise you don't really need it.

(you can work around this with Linux version using the PlayOn UPnP software, though).

How would you get netflix running in a linux distro using PlayOn?
It's much easier to do Live -> "Linux" than "Linux -> XBMC.

When ever I do a new install for someone. I just get the LiveUSB (in my case). Install to disk.

Then if they want to use it for other things. I apt-get those packages. Personally I just like having ssh and a personal account on any machine in my house just to do stuff. (I run CUDA apps when not using XBMC). Everything is setup. It automatically boots stuff is just setup.
hereandthere Wrote:How would you get netflix running in a linux distro using PlayOn?

You run playon on your Windows desktop and it connects to your Linux HTPC.

I think the "Live" one is easier to install. However if you plan on passing through digital audio (via hdmi or audio card to your HiFi receiver) then I'd consider skipping version 9.11 of "Live". It does seem to work, but I've seen a lot of people getting very frustrated after (weeks of) trying. I can't get it to work either (solution might be very simple, but I've yet so see one). But Ubuntu (purge pulseaudio!) + Xbmc does work for me. Smile

P.S. If you'd like to see what the fuzz is all about w/ Linux: then Xbmc + Buntu is a good excuse to try it out. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live vs. Linux Desktop version?0