Ubuntu minimal 10.04 does not boot on Acer Revo 3600
Hi!

I want to use Ubuntu minimal 10.04 for XBMC and have trouble to boot it! The installation is no problem, but Ubuntu does not boot on start! I always see the prompt in the left corner and nothing goes on!
I installed it again and again and also formatted the HD with GParted and tried it again, nothing helps!

Does anyone know this problemHuh Can someone help me?
m.bluemle Wrote:Hi!

I want to use Ubuntu minimal 10.04 for XBMC and have trouble to boot it! The installation is no problem, but Ubuntu does not boot on start! I always see the prompt in the left corner and nothing goes on!
I installed it again and again and also formatted the HD with GParted and tried it again, nothing helps!

Does anyone know this problemHuh Can someone help me?

I'd try the ubuntu forums... I'm running ubuntu 10.10 (upgraded from 9.10) on a REVO r1500 with no problems.
I got a solution. After the stick has booten up, at the beginning of the installation, put it out then it will work.
It seems like something goes wrong, if the stick is in the revo during the installation.
Maybe with Grub.
during install, grub (bootloader) was install on your usb drive and not on the physical drive. to fix the problem, boot with the usb drive and install grub on your hard drive by issuing:

Quote:grub-install /dev/sdX

where X is the drive in question
I fought with this issue for over a week before I figured out what was going on. I think this is a bug in the Lucid mini installer. Grub gets installed to the wrong location (usb drive), because the USB stick shows up as sda1. I ended up installing from a USB CD-Rom to get things working. Personally, I think bootloaders are a real pain, especially GRUB. It doesn't seem to like things on some Atom/ion based machines. I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix for a friend at work on his son's Compaq Netbook and I had to manually edit the GRUB config just to get that thing to boot.

-hogfan
Run the install in expert mode.. say yes to install grub2 and no to install bootloader then input /dev/sdX for manual selection of destination for bootloader. (excute shell & fdisk -l to know.)

EDIT: Bug? perhaps stupid but not a bug since the USB IS the first HD and the intention of the installer is to install to first HD.
EDIT2: In the desktop installer you just click advanced to select HD. I guess they assume people running minimal can handle this, which would perhaps be true if xbmc did not use it for xbmcbuntu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu minimal 10.04 does not boot on Acer Revo 36000