Tutorial on creating poster frames with glare?
I was wondering if someone could point me to or provide a tutorial on creating poster frames with semi-transparent glare, rounded corner cutoffs, drop shadows, etc?

I like the Transparency! skin a lot, but hate the Bluray/DVD/TV cases Ronnie uses as poster frames, and simply want to experiment a bit with creating some of my own frames that I can replace those with.

I don't know much about layers and transparency and was hoping some kind expert could provide some guidance.

FYI, I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 and GIMP 2.6, and am fairly proficient with general image manipulation in these 2, but not advanced operations. I don't use PhotoShop, although I probably could understand and translate the basic concepts from program to program.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers
The REAL Joe
check out pixel2life.com mate, all the tutorials you need. have fun and please post results Big Grin
steadler Wrote:check out pixel2life.com mate, all the tutorials you need. have fun and please post results Big Grin

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping for something a bit more specific to my particular cause than being pointed to "tutorials-on-anything-and-everything-r-us.com"

Cheers
The REAL Joe
1. Rounded corners- I'm a PS guy so you can probably google your programs for that one
2. Drop shadows - One way I do it is I take a screenshot of the view then I make the shadows from there. I usually put a red color overlay over it so it makes it easy to adjust the posy/posx
3. The "Poster Glare" or "semi-transparent glare" like on the 'Kick Ass' poster:

Probably using the exact image dimensions then making it all white then cutting out the part you wouldn't use. Then lowering the visibility to 20-30% on that left over white image.

Short answer - Mostly it's white image with maybe 20-30% visibility.

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
as an addition, you may also overlay a gradient from black to white at 15-20% visibility to the leftover white image for an even more "glass-y" look :-)
katy: Silverstone LC19/AMD Zacate E350/4GB/7.5TB/Win 7 Pro 64/24/7/Shade (custom)
ATV2/iOS 4.2.1/Alaska Revisited Mod
I use both XBMC and MediaBrowser. And the guys in the MB forums have a few tutorials that look pretty good. Maybe these can help some XBMC folks out.

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permali...ions-psd-s
mcborzu Wrote:1. Rounded corners- I'm a PS guy so you can probably google your programs for that one
2. Drop shadows - One way I do it is I take a screenshot of the view then I make the shadows from there. I usually put a red color overlay over it so it makes it easy to adjust the posy/posx
3. The "Poster Glare" or "semi-transparent glare" like on the 'Kick Ass' poster:

Probably using the exact image dimensions then making it all white then cutting out the part you wouldn't use. Then lowering the visibility to 20-30% on that left over white image.

Short answer - Mostly it's white image with maybe 20-30% visibility.

What skin / viewtype is this - its not one i recognise from night?
Showmix 2.5 (an Aeon variation)
so I understand PS, thats no problem but I am in no way a coder so could someone if they don't mind pointing me in the right direction or example of code? I'm trying to just round the corners on a picture for the home screen. I'm sure its super easy but would be really appreciated! I've tried looking into it and I'm killing myself so I hope its not posted somewhere else
xml code:
Code:
<texture [b]diffuse="picture-diffuse.png"[/b]>whatever.jpg</texture>

wiki link if you need more info on how diffuse works:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Texture_Attributes
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
* ronie
Thank you so much for that! Sorry I couldn't find that page that's perfect! I really appreciate it!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tutorial on creating poster frames with glare?1