• 7(current)
[WINDOWS] Experimental H.264 DXVA2 hardware acceleration support with Intel GPUs
Maybe most of the users use a 3rd party video card (ATI / NVIDIA) and not the poor onboard solutions and don't have probs with DXVA/2.

ATI should be your first choice for an HTPC.
TomPiXX Wrote:Maybe most of the users use a 3rd party video card (ATI / NVIDIA) and not the poor onboard solutions and don't have probs with DXVA/2.

ATI should be your first choice for an HTPC.

Actually the onboard graphic card of an I3 core 2100T cpu is not poor at all. It provides excellent quality and no shuttering at all while playing videos up to 1080p with players like wmplayer and MPC. The problem is just with XBMC.

I have just tried to play Avatar at 1080p with XBMC (without hardware acceleration) and the video is shuttering frequently enough, especially where there is a scene with some action. I end up closing XBMC and then launching the MPC to continue viewing the movie which played flawlessly after that.
phanos Wrote:Actually the onboard graphic card of an I3 core 2100T cpu is not poor at all. It provides excellent quality and no shuttering at all while playing videos up to 1080p with players like wmplayer and MPC. The problem is just with XBMC.

I have just tried to play Avatar at 1080p with XBMC (without hardware acceleration) and the video is shuttering frequently enough, especially where there is a scene with some action. I end up closing XBMC and then launching the MPC to continue viewing the movie which played flawlessly after that.

I know about the Sandy bridges and their new graphic solutions are mich better than the "old" iX Cores but Intel use their own algorithms to handel accelaration.
And the quality of an ATI HD card will not be reached for a long time.
I'm an NVIDIA fan for gaming and own the Core i7 2600K but would never use NVIDIA or ANY onboard solution for my HTPC.

Be patient, I'm sure the developers will handle the new Intels.
TomPiXX Wrote:I know about the Sandy bridges and their new graphic solutions are mich better than the "old" iX Cores but Intel use their own algorithms to handel accelaration.
And the quality of an ATI HD card will not be reached for a long time.
I'm an NVIDIA fan for gaming and own the Core i7 2600K but would never use NVIDIA or ANY onboard solution for my HTPC.

Be patient, I'm sure the developers will handle the new Intels.

Hi TomPiXX I am a little confused here. Will I see significant difference in quality if I switch to an ATI card? I mean if I use an ATI card and the same settings under XBMC will the difference be noticeable and worth the upgrade?

Thanks
After searching a while I found this card as a replacement for the on board graphic (http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/show.phtml?id=PER.513474).

Is this better than what the i3 core 2100t can provide? Is it worth to upgrade?

Thanks
phanos Wrote:After searching a while I found this card as a replacement for the on board graphic (http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/show.phtml?id=PER.513474).

Is this better than what the i3 core 2100t can provide? Is it worth to upgrade?

Thanks

This card will work well!

And yes - you'll see differences. The internal upscaling and shaping-capabilities of the ATI HD series are awesome.

I will take a screenshot of my Catalyst settings today and post it later.
On my new HTPC I got video corruption when DXVA2 is enabled.
Video playback is just fine with DXVA2 disabled and "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled. I got perfect 24p output.

Specs:
Core i3 2100T sandy bridge
Asus P8H67-I (mitx)
Win7 Ultimate x64
Intel driver: 8.15.10.2219 (because all newer versions give me a bsod when connected through HDMI on my Samsung plasma tv, it's an intel/asus problem that still hasn't been solved.)
Highly recommend using an nvidia GPU.
They tend to get more support than ATI.
In fact to get an ATI GPU made after 2006 (Acquired by AMD) you need to buy an AMD Motherboard, No PCI or GPU port versions after that year
Hi TomPiXX do yo u have that screenshot?

Thanks Smile
Please try if this fix helps?

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29293622/.libs.rar

Use with 10.1 official release, not nightly builds.
That previous one didn't solve the issue. I posted a new candidate here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104863
Pentium G6950 (of the i3 family really, the smaller cousin of i3-540) has bad video problems with DXVA2 (often fine but just as often extreme stuttering, pixelation, and strange colors). MKV/x.264+AC3 file downloaded from somewhere, made by very experienced ripper.. Works nicely without DXVA2 (and also in MPC-HC with DXVA via MS-DTV codec, I wish I could use that in XBMC; the internal DXVA/h.264 codec in MPC-HC is also crap but exchangeable).

Solution is to switch off DXVA2. Since XBMC consumes 20% CPU idle and 15% when playing an SD h.264 rip, the idle consumption most often is more of a problem anyway.

I don't think the statement "Hardware-accelerated playback of H.264 material was fixed today in ffmpeg for Intel GPUs (patch originally from VLC..)" holds water. Besides, VLC never had any HW acc support, only "experimental", which I tried and that sure doesn't work. The only 3 codecs that work on i3 etc are MS-DTV, DivX and Cyberlink. Since they are proprietary I suppose the can't be included? But MS-DTV is already present on Win7 machines, couldn't you make it use this if it's already on the PC? Don't know why you necessarily must come up with your own codec when it's already preinstalled and for free on 9½ of 10 PCs.

Edit: also tried an i3-540 CPU now, same problem with DXVA2, but CPU usage is down to 5%.
DavidGGG Wrote:Don't know why you necessarily must come up with your own codec when it's already preinstalled and for free on 9½ of 10 PCs.
MSDTV isn't open source and I don't think there's any documentation available ? It's commercial & microsoft copyrighted I think ? Hence it won't play on anything else than windows.

Besides, it's not the codec here that's the problem. DXVA is just a wrapper that uses a decoder that is in your hardware. The problem is in the configuration of the whole process and 'interfacing' it with XBMC. So MSDTV wouldn't make any difference, because in both cases the codec has to be configured correctly, which exactly is the problem here (though it's possible that the configuration happens a level higher, *in* that msdtv dll, dunno about that, like said it's not open source AFAIK).

I fixed all issue's in DXVA-FFMPEG that occured in my movies (my patches are included in the isidrogar's build, one for MPEG2 and one for VC1). I don't have a sandybridge, so it's too complicated to debug/fix this for me, somebody with Sandybridge should do it ...Besides, like said, everything plays fine now on ATI and NVIDIA (and please remember/understand, nobody here gets paid, we're just doing things because we enjoy it, so you'll probably have to wait till somebody with an intel Sandybridge chipset gets so fed up with this bug, that he's going to want to fix it Wink ).
Hi there thought of opening a new thread but Google hit this one so here goes:

I recently picked up an itx G45 board + E5200 chip on the cheap in a flea market and decided to slap up a SFF HTPC for one of my rooms and actually it has been fairly decent if i set render mode to software and disable DXVA2 in Frodo/Windows 7. My question is - the current TV is 720p only but what if i get a 1080p TV down the road

1. Would the above solution work fine for 1080p?
2. Is there a fix/beta drivers/etc to enable DXVA2 with the G45 IGP?
3. Would assigning everything to play on MPC-HC be an alternative to #2?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Experimental H.264 DXVA2 hardware acceleration support with Intel GPUs0