• 2(current)
[WINDOWS] Experimental H.264 DXVA2 hardware acceleration support with Intel GPUs
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll give it a try, I'm creating images of my system at various states so that I can go back as required.

Looking forward to the realease!
I added some sample links on the first post.

Thanks for the testing Raptylos & GameAction.
Maybe a debug log would give info, but it's likely the Mbps peaks over 40 trip the GPU. Maybe you can check the Mbps on the OSD as the clip is playing.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I tried one of the unofficial builds on my laptop, Dharma 34973. Laptop has an Intel Pentium Mobile Dual Core, and the video drive is simply "Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family". Without DXVA2, the 1080p video I tried was choppy (about 12 fps) and used around 50-80% CPU, with DXVA2 enabled playback was smooth as silk, though CPU usage seemed high, 25 - 45%. However, I noted that unlike my desktop (running Dharma Beta 3), that XBMC was using 20- 40% CPU when not playing anything back. Other than that, it worked well. I really don't have any use for XBMC on the laptop, but thought I'd give it a try just to see how it works.

Edit: Just wanted to add, that the same video plays w DXVA enabled in MPC-HC and usually gives under 15 fps.
CrystalP Wrote:I added some sample links on the first post.

Thanks for the testing Raptylos & GameAction.
Maybe a debug log would give info, but it's likely the Mbps peaks over 40 trip the GPU. Maybe you can check the Mbps on the OSD as the clip is playing.

I checked out your recommended testfiles.

Quantum of solace and from pole to pole running flawlessly.

Killa Sampla has some flashing but no blocking/artefacts. Flashing happens at bitrates over 41 mBit/s (happens only four times for one frame)

The Samsung.Demo.Oceanic.Life has only one glitch - this has nothing to do with the bitrate, at that time, it runs at 25mBit/s. There are times, where the bitrate goes way over 50 mBit/s without any problem. Perhaps only my file is broken...
Raptylos,
I was noticing a glitch w/ Oceanic Life, as well. Is it w/ the crab on the brown leaf (around the 15 second mark)? Otherwise the clip plays flawlessly on my i3 530. The file plays fine for me on my desktop and fairly fine (some dropped frames) on the i3 530 w/ cpu decoding.

Planet Earth - Pole to Pole was mostly ok, but when the flock of birds fades to black there are some artifacts prior to the next scene.

Killa Sampla - seemed ok to me. Some artifacts, but I think it's inherent to the clip, as i notice the same artifacts on my desktop system (nvidia gtx275 using Media Player Classic). Mainly noticeable towards the end of the clip in the lower right. I didnt notice any flashing offhand.

Other samples mentioned played fine (Quantum of Solace Trailer and various ref clips)

Tested on both 15.17.7.64.2141 and 15.17.7.64.2202 drivers, both performed identically as far as I could tell.

Also tried increasing the GPU clock from the default 733Mhz to 1066Mhz w/out any noticeable difference, so I reverted to the default (733).

Tested a bunch of 1080p + 720p videos in my library, which all played fine. I'll continue to test and see if i notice any issues.

Here's the debug log for Samsung Oceanic Life:

http://pastebin.com/XuBDYERR

Also, just tried the Samsung clip w/ nightly trunk build w/ dxva enabled and it doesn't play back the clip nearly as well as xbmc (no real surprise i guess), but interestingly the one glitch I notice in XBMC's playback doesn't happen in VLC.
jagilbertvt Wrote:.... but interestingly the one glitch I notice in XBMC's playback doesn't happen in VLC.

Exactly - I can second that.
Well there is one spot in the log with a bunch of execution errors - that's probably the glitch. Not sure what to make of it. It's not a big deal at this point, given how wildly out of spec that clip is.

This is shaping really well Big Grin

edit: just thought of something - to test VLC with Intel dxva, you need a VLC nightly after Oct 14 I think. You're getting software playback otherwise.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
CrystalP Wrote:edit: just thought of something - to test VLC with Intel dxva, you need a VLC nightly after Oct 14 I think. You're getting software playback otherwise.

i thought of that, too. Since I didn't use the nightly-build, the comparison is void..
And yeah - this is indeed shaping very well.
Is there a possibility to disable dxva for testing ? In the video-submenu, the switch is not responding to inputs.
CrystalP Wrote:Well there is one spot in the log with a bunch of execution errors - that's probably the glitch. Not sure what to make of it. It's not a big deal at this point, given how wildly out of spec that clip is.

This is shaping really well Big Grin

edit: just thought of something - to test VLC with Intel dxva, you need a VLC nightly after Oct 14 I think. You're getting software playback otherwise.

Yeah, I grabbed a nightly build and enabled DXVA. I'll test again, it's certainly possible DXVA didn't kick in.

And like you said, the clip is quite out of spec for DXVA, so the fact that it plays at all is a good sign Smile
I'm having some issues while playing longer videos. The video stops every 10-15 minutes for a short time (0.5-2s) while audio is still playing. After that, video is "catching up". In full debug you can see this :

DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:2498706037.049287, should be:2498717368.057735, error:11331.008448

This happens with all .h264 videos. With the latest SVN, it got better but still happens a few times.

Any ideas on that ?
Hi. I have a i3-530m, Win 7 pro x64 and dharma 3.
Since I tried the button "synch audio/video" in the system settings, I have no DXVA any more. I tried so many settings. I cleared it now with all personal settings (was only 1 day old). I installed the newest intel driver and after reboot (can´t do that at the moment) I will install a new xbmc. Is there something I can do more?!

Thanks, Greets,
flyingernst
flyingernst Wrote:Hi. I have a i3-530m, Win 7 pro x64 and dharma 3.
Since I tried the button "synch audio/video" in the system settings, I have no DXVA any more. I tried so many settings. I cleared it now with all personal settings (was only 1 day old). I installed the newest intel driver and after reboot (can´t do that at the moment) I will install a new xbmc. Is there something I can do more?!

Thanks, Greets,
flyingernst

You need to install the svn-version of xbmc, in dharma b3, dxva on intel is not yet implemented. You can grab it here: http://sshcs.com/xbmc/

Cheers
CrystalP Wrote:Hardware-accelerated playback of H.264 material was fixed today in ffmpeg for Intel GPUs (patch originally from VLC, many thanks!).

To try this, you need to build xbmc yourself or wait for the next Dharma beta (should be this weekend). Unless you find unofficial builds, but be aware that they're not supported and any problem other than the focus of this thread will be ignored.

Hmm...will have to try this out. That's GREAT news about FFMpeg getting support for DXVA on Intel gpus. If this works out on XBMC this will be huge to me!!

My HTPC and bedroom HTPC are both running i3 530's with Win 7 x64. My server is running an i3 540 on Win Server 2k8 r2. They were all Fry deals with motherboards for $100!! My desktop runs a ATI 5870 so it will be interesting to compare against the Intel GPU's. I am running all the latest drivers for all systems and currently running Beta 3 for XBMC with MySQL.

I would like to wait for Beta 4 to try instead of using a nightly build. Any news on roughly when that will happen? Happy to post logs/feedback once setup. I am interested (as you can see from the hardware I run) and want to help however I can.
Beta 4 is here, including the dxva support for Intel.

@Raptylos: about your videos with stops every 10-15 minutes, did you check that the stops don't happen with dxva disabled? There are issues with some DTS soundtracks and they log discontinuities and wrapbacks in the log. Could it be what's happening?
CrystalP Wrote:@Raptylos: about your videos with stops every 10-15 minutes, did you check that the stops don't happen with dxva disabled? There are issues with some DTS soundtracks and they log discontinuities and wrapbacks in the log. Could it be what's happening?

Hi CrystalP,

those stops really appeared to happen with DTS. On Dharma B4 everything seems to run smothly.

I have to say, that I got a headcrash on my htpc hd and I had to reinstall everything from scratch... Angry
Perhaps, there were some misconfigs, that I carried form various experiments before Wink

Now, everything's running perfect.

Thanks again, CrystalP !
This is a great community, I enjoy beeing part of it and help out with testing here and there.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Experimental H.264 DXVA2 hardware acceleration support with Intel GPUs0