• 14(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO create a XBMC server for diskless PXE network booting clients
dushmaniac Wrote:@MegaX
try removing the nvidia-glx package(s).

Can you give me an instruction what I must do to correctly remove the package(s).
By remove the package(s) I become some errors.

Thanks for your help
MegaX
So, I can't create new VMs that will run this package correctly, thankfully I had the first VM i created for this and that is the only one that has worked... I moved that VM from my laptop to my home-server and I'm serving the diskless from there.

Now, everything seems great until I try to play a movie, the sound will not work. This is probably not an issue with the disk-less setup at all, but I'm hoping anyone that is also running an ION based system can throw me a bone here.

i'm trying to update alsa now, since I found a thread about alsa being the problem.

On the other hand, I thought the disk-less systems were going to have un-persistent HDs; meaning any thing that was saved on the disk-less system would be lost after reboots BUT that is not the case. I downloaded some scripts and files on to the ~ and after numerous reboots the files are there. I thought the provisioning would just populate the ~xbmc directory.
ToKy Wrote:On the other hand, I thought the disk-less systems were going to have un-persistent HDs; meaning any thing that was saved on the disk-less system would be lost after reboots BUT that is not the case. I downloaded some scripts and files on to the ~ and after numerous reboots the files are there. I thought the provisioning would just populate the ~xbmc directory.
you thought wrong. diskless means that no harddisk is needed, not that nothing will be persisted. all changes are persisted on the server, in the nfs export that has been created when you ran the configuration script.

the provisioning will only be run on the first boot of a new client. and you can both provision your /etc directory (~/config on the diskless machine) and your ~/.xbmc directory.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
development on xbmc-diskless has been discontinued in this form by the way, in favour of diskless openelec. I implemented the client part this week and I and/or srau will have a look at the server part soon.

edit:
I think I'll keep the server script for ubuntu around, and let it use a prebuilt openelec client.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

dushmaniac Wrote:development on xbmc-diskless has been discontinued in this form by the way, in favour of diskless openelec. I implemented the client part this week and I and/or srau will have a look at the server part soon.

edit:
I think I'll keep the server script for ubuntu around, and let it use a prebuilt openelec client.

so what does it mean for currently installed xmbc-diskless environments?
they will keep working.
you can replace them with the new openelec based ones after I changed the scripts.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

Hi,

today I tried to upgrade. But i got this error:

Unable to connect to ppa.launchpad.net:http: W: Failed to fetch.

Is anything wrong with this ppa?
nope, something is wrong with your apt configuration or your net.
or you didn't do "apt-get update"
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

Hi Dushmaniac!

I test the diskless server+client, it's perfect... Smile It's working with my server + my laptops (nvidia), but finally i'd like to use it with my Intel (D510MO) clients (no 1080i, only DivX + mp3)...

I tried the following to change the nvidia to intel, but there was error (xbmc-diskless-client) while i try to install/remove...

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf

I've checked the forum as i see, other people tried the same...but i can't solve it till now...could you help me to solve it step-by-step? ...it should be important us...

Thanks a lot!
Panko
don't purge the nvidia* packages and it should be fine. nvidia-glx is a dependency for xbmc-diskless (not really a dependency, but it's installed automatically). if you remove/purge nvidia*, you'll remove xbmc-diskless-client too.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

I understand this correctly, the only supported nvidia GPU's?
Marco1984 Wrote:I understand this correctly, the only supported nvidia GPU's?

No he meant you shouldnt purge the nvidia package. Install the intel package without removing the nvidia package.
-gob

Hi,

Did anyone tried to make this work with a Mac running Snow Leopard?

Been googling for the last hour and can't find anything related with PXE server and OS X.

Is it even possible to run server side services required for network boot server on OS X?

Making it possible would make my life so much easier, i want to run two diskless players with a Mac as a server.

Thanks.
you could create the required images on an ubuntu system, copy them over to your mac and configure it so it serves the files. nobody done that and reported it here though.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

escaper Wrote:Hi,

Did anyone tried to make this work with a Mac running Snow Leopard?

Been googling for the last hour and can't find anything related with PXE server and OS X.

Is it even possible to run server side services required for network boot server on OS X?

Making it possible would make my life so much easier, i want to run two diskless players with a Mac as a server.

Thanks.

Assuming you are doing DHCP via a router that will let you add the proper settings like DD-WRT, you need TFTP (not just FTP), NFS, and NBD servers.... Probably easier to use a Linux VM.. lol

The server doesn't have to be powerful, a slow box that you wouldn't run anything else on will work. An old P2 for example, is likely more than enough. Maybe a little faster or more RAM if you want to do the MySQL thing to sync client machines. I have it running in a Xen VM here, 512M of RAM seems plenty.

If you really want to use the Mac running OSX, you probably need to look into setting up MacPorts or whatever it's called... BSD Ports for OSX. You'll have to compile everything you need, but it's not too painful.

dushmaniac: Thanks for the nice package. It worked very well for me on an Ubuntu Natty host. Just used lucid for the bootable image. Looking forward to seeing what you do with OpenELEC. I like the idea of just downloading the kernel/image rather than using debootstrap. Now I've got to configure the thing.... Big Grin
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO create a XBMC server for diskless PXE network booting clients2