S/PDIF and volume
What do you guys do for volume control?

My receiver is pretty old with no hdmi (not even sure if hdmi would help)--but all the same... volume on computer + xbmc volume + volume on the A/V receiver = very low WAF. This is not an XBMC problem as much as the modern problem of the lack of a standard language between which devices can communicate.

To be more specific with my question--I'm digging this pseudotv plugin, but the volume fluctuation between passthrough audio and lower quality stuff makes it difficult.

Suggestions on volume control! Go!
I thought S/PDIF audio bypassed the volume controls on Windows and XBMC ...

Anyhow, I only ever use the volume control on my amp and I leave the XBMC volume set to 0dB. This does mean two remote controls unless you use a universal remote.

JR
When bitstreaming AC3 or DTS your only get volume control on your amp if you use analogue your get volume control in XBMC whether it will be louder is or not is another question
I just max out xbmc volume. Then all I need is to control the volume on the receiver for both. Another option (new to xbmc not sure if you can) would be have your AVR decode the DTS/DD then you could control it from XBMC but wont have the pretty lights on the reciever.
I set the volume on my tv to around 25 and then adjust the volume in xbmc to match my normal volume preference. Now all of my devices work great at about the same volume level.

I also have a Harmony remote and have xbmc listed twice. Once with sound via the tv speakers and once with 5.1 sound from my receiver. That way I just have to decide where I want my sound from and I press Activities>XBMC or Activities>XBMC 5.1. Then the remote will turn on the correct devices and set everything to the correct imput. WAF is exceptional.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Yeah, the problem is the difference in audio between analag and SPDIF.

So maybe I'll just turn up the volume in xbmc and disable the volume control in keymapping, max out the volume on the pc and get an ir blaster, and try macro into my ipod remote the command to adjust amp volume.... Thanks for your input everyone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
S/PDIF and volume0