Home or Back Button - Touchscreen Issue
Sorry if this has been asked before...did a search and checked the FAQ and couldn't find an answer. Is there a way to have a "Home" button at the top left corner (all pages), or at least "Back"? This would make this skin work perfectly for touchscreen applications. I was using Confluence, which has "Home" up there and works well, but I really like this skin better, and the actual home page/buttons layout works much better for touchscreen. However, once you go into an area you can't go back/home without hitting "Esc" on the keyboard. I am using XBMC on Windows/PC. Would be the same issue as trying to make the skin work for 100% mouse as input.

Very, very nice skin btw! Smile
Star 
Hitting the right mouse button in a non focused area takes me back to the home screen in most circumstances (sometimes it takes a couple of hits if I'm looking at an .nfo) but I basically cruise Transparency! with a remote RF mouse and never have to get out of my easy chair... What 'rmb' would equate to with a touch screen is something else.
I see what you mean...maybe if I can have a button/hotspot on the screen at all times that would simulate the RMB, that would work for me. I tried the Windows on-screen keyboard but it hides behind XBMC when in fullscreen mode. I know there is supposed to be a touch-version of Confluence but I can't get it to work on my release of Camelot, maybe only works on the Dharma BETAs. But I really like this skin the best, would like to enable for touchscreen if possible.
Aha...I just loaded the Dharma Beta-3, tried Confluence Touch! again, and it works! Actually pretty nice, usable from a touchscreen standpoint....so I will play around more and see if this solves all my issues! Smile
But by the way...I still like Transparency better, so what I'd really like is a similar modification to that skin which would make it work better for touchscreen applications. I'll just get by with this for now.... Sad
Star 
khekking Wrote:But by the way...I still like Transparency better, so what I'd really like is a similar modification to that skin which would make it work better for touchscreen applications. I'll just get by with this for now.... Sad
I agree, the more I play with other skins, the more I like Transparency! Cruising my share is such a pleasure with all the artwork, I forget about the movies Smile Clearly in the near future, tablets are going to be ubiquitous, and a touch interface would be needed soon... but we have our poor skin developer in such knots for a pile of requests, that it's only a twinkle in his eye.
i don't mind adding a touchscreen option.
will put it on my todo list.

to get some basic touchscreen support, i guess you'll need
- 'home' buttons on all windows
- 'close' buttons on all dialogs

anything else you can think of?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I think the only other key one is "Back", pretty much like a back arrow, basically similar to "Esc" on the keyboard. That, and the "Home" and "Close" are the three that really make it work on touchscreen. The Confluence Touch! has an icon on all pages for a pop-up keyboard, for keyboard entry. I really don't use that much though, if I need keyboard I pull out a wireless keyboard and you would only really need that to create a new shortcut/link, put in login or password, etc. That kind of "configuration" stuff should always be done with a keyboard, I think once you have things setup and really want to "use" XBMC as a media browser/player/entertainment center the only things you really need are the Back/Home/Close. If you can put those in your assumingly very large to-do list, that would be fantastic! Thanks! Smile
Oh...and PatK brought up a great point, these same changes would make XBMC available to the soon-to-take-off-exponentially market of tablets....sweet! :cool2:
initial touchscreen support added in T! svn.
Settings > Skin Settings > Enable touchscreen mode

for now, only the 'Home' and 'Back' buttons on all windows.

'Close' buttons on dialogs will be next. :-)

please test and report all issues!

edit:
added 'Close' buttons as well.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Wowzer...very nice so far! Smile

I've only played for a bit, but here's a couple of quick things I spotted...

1) I forgot...need an icon for "Favorites"...how I forgot that, I'll never know. Of course, while showing my wife how great this skin is, she spotted that immediately. Mainly because I put all her stuff under there, and she uses it all the time. So, now I've got issues with the wifey...ha ha ha. Maybe it could be a "star" icon or something, in line with the "Home" and "Back"?

2) When the touchscreen option is selected, could it also hide the cursor (mouse pointer) permanently, or just change it to null/transparent icon? It disappears after 3 seconds or so anyway, but it's pretty much useless for touchscreens or tables because it just indicates where you "last" made a touch.

3) "Back" seems to work a little inconsistently. Not a huge problem, because you can always go "Home" then start back from there. Like Settings > Network works fine, can go "Back" from there, but you can't from Settings > Profiles. Also doesn't work from Settings > System Info.

4) When in "Skin Settings", as soon as you make a selection in the main (right) list, the menu bar at the left disappears. (General/Home Window/Backgrounds/etc.) Of course, you can go back Home, start over, but not sure how to "keep" it there so you can make choices in each area without leaving totally.

5) Under "Reload Skin"...uh...Tic Tac Toe?!?! Of course I beat my wife at that straightaway, with further escalated wifey issues. (see #1) ha ha ha

But you've made a fantastic start, very useable already! I'll keep playing with it and let you know anything else I find, it's really a gorgeous skin! Smile

Thank you!
Oopsie...#1 & #5 solved! It's been awhile since I played with T! skin, I see with the mega-configurable home page options you can not only make custom menu items, sub-menu items, but "Favorites" is right there as an add-on button...problem solved! Smile I know the other skin I was using had a "Favorites" icon on all pages, so it's accessible anywhere, but that's certainly not as important, when it's available via main menu that suits me perfect. Wifey loves it, even forgot I beat her at tic-tac-toe! Marriage restored.

I will keep playing around...I know with movies/videos you can tap anywhere to bring up the controls, but what about when music is playing? On some skins I've seen an arrow icon that brings up controls for whatever is "now playing", but without the keyboard I think we'll need a way to get to those controls from wherever you're at, right? Keyboard equivalent of <space> if I remember right? Maybe add that alongside the "Home" and "Back"?
khekking Wrote:1) I forgot...need an icon for "Favorites"...how I forgot that

you found it. :-)

khekking Wrote:2) When the touchscreen option is selected, could it also hide the cursor (mouse pointer) permanently

it's an xbmc settings, not a skin one.
Settings > System > Input devices > Enable mouse

khekking Wrote:3) "Back" seems to work a little inconsistently. Not a huge problem, because you can always go "Home" then start back from there. Like Settings > Network works fine, can go "Back" from there, but you can't from Settings > Profiles. Also doesn't work from Settings > System Info.

thanx, will fix that.

khekking Wrote:4) When in "Skin Settings", as soon as you make a selection in the main (right) list, the menu bar at the left disappears. (General/Home Window/Backgrounds/etc.) Of course, you can go back Home, start over, but not sure how to "keep" it there so you can make choices in each area without leaving totally.

you should be able to bring the menu back out by sliding your finger
all the way to the left side of the screen.

khekking Wrote:5) Under "Reload Skin"...uh...Tic Tac Toe?!?! Of course I beat my wife at that straightaway, with further escalated wifey issues. (see #1) ha ha ha

forget about it, there's no way i can make that touch-screen compatible.
i don't think it'll even work properly with a mouse.
it's remote/keyboard only.

khekking Wrote:I will keep playing around...I know with movies/videos you can tap anywhere to bring up the controls, but what about when music is playing? On some skins I've seen an arrow icon that brings up controls for whatever is "now playing", but without the keyboard I think we'll need a way to get to those controls from wherever you're at, right? Keyboard equivalent of <space> if I remember right? Maybe add that alongside the "Home" and "Back"?

when playing music, the player controls are on the left menu in all sections.
the controls might be a bit tiny for touchscreens though...
i don't mind adding a new button for it alongside 'home' and 'back',
guess this one should also appear on the home screen?
Quote:it's an xbmc settings, not a skin one.
Settings > System > Input devices > Enable mouse

No, if I toggle that (disable mouse) I can't touch anything...all touch (mouse) input is completely disabled at that point, I have to pull out the keyboard and use <Enter> to turn it back on. I think what we need is a way to hide or make the mouse pointer an empty/transparent image perhaps.

Quote:when playing music, the player controls are on the left menu in all sections.
the controls might be a bit tiny for touchscreens though...
i don't mind adding a new button for it alongside 'home' and 'back',
guess this one should also appear on the home screen?

Yeah, when music is playing I see the CD case cover, spinning disc, artist/song title and a progress meter with time through the song and remaining, but I don't see any way to bring up controls to stop/skip, etc. I tried all over the place. There must be a context menu for those, but of course that would only be accessible via keyboard or right-click. Maybe a "play icon" (like >) near the "home" and "back" like you said, all pages...would give a quick way to bring up the controls of whatever is playing and do those functions?
khekking Wrote:No, if I toggle that (disable mouse) I can't touch anything...all touch (mouse) input is completely disabled at that point, I have to pull out the keyboard and use <Enter> to turn it back on. I think what we need is a way to hide or make the mouse pointer an empty/transparent image perhaps.
see, i definitely need to get me a touchscreen.
pretty tough to develop when you can't test some things yourself..

anyway, svn up and the mouse will be gone in touchscreen mode. ;-)

khekking Wrote:Yeah, when music is playing I see the CD case cover, spinning disc, artist/song title and a progress meter with time through the song and remaining, but I don't see any way to bring up controls to stop/skip, etc. I tried all over the place. There must be a context menu for those, but of course that would only be accessible via keyboard or right-click. Maybe a "play icon" (like >) near the "home" and "back" like you said, all pages...would give a quick way to bring up the controls of whatever is playing and do those functions?

also added to svn.

thanx for the feedback, and keep those suggestions coming.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home or Back Button - Touchscreen Issue0