[LINUX] No sound on Asus EB1012P
Hannes The Hun Wrote:problem is, for Ion2 the nvidia drivers from the wiki you installed might be too old. from my experience, for digital audio to work with Ion2, you need current nvidia drivers as well as current alsa, and the alsa you are using seems to only recognize the intel HDA chip.

all in all, I don't recommend using this (outdated) wiki article but instead using the XBMCbuntu guide. that way, you'll get current nvidia drivers from the x-swat ppa as well as alsa 10.23, which might be all you need to enjoy xbmc on your netbox.

btw did you also try the latest xbmc live beta to see if that fixes your audio problem?

I've tried to start all over with a clean ubuntu 10.04 server install (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#If...ed_drivers - right guide?). When I get to the point to install the drivers I get

Quote:sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-195 nvidia-settings mesa-utils libvdpau-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package nvidia-glx-195

which makes perfect sense, because when running "apt-cache search nvidia | grep source", I get

Quote:nvidia-173-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-173-kernel-sourc
nvidia-180-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-185-kernel-sourc
nvidia-96-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-96-kernel-source
nvidia-185-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-185-kernel-sourc

Why cant I install the latest drivers?

I did "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa", which should make me able to download the drivers... but nothing...

I also tried
Quote:sudo apt-get install nvidia-190-kernel-source nvidia-glx-190 nvidia-settings mesa-utils libvdpau-dev
but didnt help either..

Any suggestions?
I just downloaded the latest nvidia driver and tried to install it on my ubuntu server. I also installed binutils and gcc, as it was required. When I try to install the actual driver (sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.07.03-pkg1.run)

Quote:ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently
when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly
configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one
used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is
present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of
the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is
not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

I googled the problem but couldnt find an answer :/

[EDIT]

Finally I got the 190 drivers to work and installed them without any errors. I got XBMC live going but im still not getting any sound(I have only tried moving around in the menu). When I run aplay -l I still get:

Quote:**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Why isnt the HDMI output no showing? I also tried to get audio with analog output but that was also a no go.

Here's which drivers I got to work. I installed 190.xx because I read somewhere that it was the latest stable version.

Quote:ii libvdpau-dev 0.4-2~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4 Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (
ii libvdpau1 0.4-2~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4 Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (
ii nvidia-190-kernel-source 190.53-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa14 NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii nvidia-glx-190 190.53-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa14 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii nvidia-settings 260.19.04-0ubuntu1~nvidiavdpauppa1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv

tjbugz
For a lot of Ubuntu users this update script to help a lot (mostly HDA Intel users): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...tel+script
I've just buyed some days ago the EeeBox, but.....

Same here, no sound for HDMI output!
Software: XBMC 10.0LTE Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop (kernel 2.6.32.27).

Alsamixer version was 1.0.21 so i'd the ppa update to 1.0.23, with no errors.

But then again, no sound, I figured out that the hw:1,7 was the HDMI out of my EeeBox EB1012P.

So in short:

I edit in /etc/asound.conf these 5 lines only;
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 7
}

Then for the sound settings in XBMC; System - Audio output;

audio out = HDMI
audio output device = Custom
Custom audio device = hw:1,7
Passthrough output device = HDA Intel iec985

Finaly, I have sound from Music en Video's through HDMI!
henk57 Wrote:I've just buyed some days ago the EeeBox, but.....

Same here, no sound for HDMI output!
Software: XBMC 10.0LTE Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop (kernel 2.6.32.27).

Alsamixer version was 1.0.21 so i'd the ppa update to 1.0.23, with no errors.

But then again, no sound, I figured out that the hw:1,7 was the HDMI out of my EeeBox EB1012P.

So in short:

I edit in /etc/asound.conf these 5 lines only;
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 7
}

Then for the sound settings in XBMC; System - Audio output;

audio out = HDMI
audio output device = Custom
Custom audio device = hw:1,7
Passthrough output device = HDA Intel iec985

Finaly, I have sound from Music en Video's through HDMI!

Thanks! Now i also have sound over hdmi in xbmc. However on some playback i need to switch from HDMI to Analog in the sound settings (osd menu) to make it work. (The audio still goes out on HDMI thought)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] No sound on Asus EB1012P0