Video framerate low
I recently upgraded to a 1080p monitor and noticed that my video framerate has dropped unacceptably. My first assumption (probably still correct) is that my ancient video card just can't handle it. BUT if I drop out of XBMC and play the same video in Windows Media Player (or VLC or Media Player Classic) I don't have the same problem.

Also note that this only impacts 16x9 videos. Older TV and movies that are 4x3 don't have a problem (presumably all of that black space gives the system a break).

As I said, I think the problem is still my hardware which I'm prepared to upgrade but I wanted to bounce it off the experts here to see if perhaps I'm on the wrong track (or at least to ensure I don't waste time/money upgrading the wrong component).

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.21Ghz)
RAM: 3GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 256MB, Driver v6.14.11.9621

Not the latest hardware but if my vids play fine under Windows Media Player then I would expect them to be ok under XBMC.

Thoughts?
If files that played correctly on a smaller screen now stutter, there is likely a shader limitation in the graphics card. Make sure to use the bilinear scaler, it's the easiest on the GPU. If you still get stuttering, try the software renderer.

btw the above is for Dharma beta, version 9.11 did not have a software renderer.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrystalP Wrote:If files that played correctly on a smaller screen now stutter, there is likely a shader limitation in the graphics card. Make sure to use the bilinear scaler, it's the easiest on the GPU. If you still get stuttering, try the software renderer.

btw the above is for Dharma beta, version 9.11 did not have a software renderer.

I don't get an option to change the scaler (the wiki indicates it should be under Settings>Video>Playback but I could not find it). I'm guessing that means my system is just too old to even bother with anything but very basic?

However switching to the software renderer did fix the stutter so that fixes the problem...for now at least. Still thinking a new video card would be a good idea.

thanks for the assist.
The scaler option is in the OSD while playing a video. Press 'm' to display the OSD, navigate in the video category.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video framerate low0