XBMC Live - No Audio from HDMI?
Hannes The Hun Wrote:a clean reinstall according to the XBMCbuntu wiki instructions or from XBMClive dharma

I have no problems in reinstalling.... I have been installing from a bootable USB stick of XBMC Live... i do not know what you mean by "dharma".. I just got it from the link on the main website of xbmc. The big colourful button image. I assume you mean the beta?

You can upgrade once it is set up and installed can't you somhow?

So to install.. all I did was boot off the USB and follow the on screen instructions. Each time i did a install I formatted teh entire drive again, as it is a brand new system I got JUST for xbmc to replace the old xbox1

Some people have been telling my I should install full ubuntu or Xbuntu, the full versions with the web interface, then just run XBMC as a application... . .
XBMC user from XMP days... love this project and many thanks to the talent that keeps it alive
the errors is prolly because this guy has a different configuration or OS other than xbmclive.

I can tell you for sure that the only thing you done right is the /etc/asound.conf
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia
The other substitutions you made are wrong the files don't exist for a very good reason, the guy clearly has a different OS, while you are running xbmclive he is running either full desktop or another version of Ubuntu.

I wanted a perfect working system with no Desktop, so I decided to go a different route, it is easier to install the full desktop and run xbmc as an app, but then your installing tons of crap you dont need or use.
FYI it takes months of dedicated research and asking everywhere how to get it all done right. If you want to learn linux so you understand how things work, persevere at this, if you wanna quit you know what to do.
I found this http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=co...13&lang=en

The other guy is using xbmcfreak release which are built ontop of bugged live isos to begin... I tried his stuff but I figured I didn't want to spend months trying to figure out where team xbmc was failing and + figure out what crap he added on top.
In my experience Xbmc Live has very, very great issues w/ digital audio. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to work. But if I boot my PC into Ubuntu and start xbmc (NOT the live version, that is) then I do not have any problems.

So the only solution/workaround at the moment to me seems to be: install Linux or Windows to disk and then install a "regular" version of xbmc if one wants to use dig. audio output in any form. Do not use Live. I've started a seperate topic on this a while ago: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83765. Some people do seem to get passtru to work in 'Live', some don't. The people that do appear to be the developers (devs). So fat chance on xbmc-live ever changing I think...

P.S. X3lectric thank you for the clarification. In the Audio Settings dialog of XBMC there are so many fields to set to 'digital' or 'hdmi' that I din't notice the difference between your screenshot and the topic starter's (TS) screenie. You and the TS obviously use different versions of xbmc.
I don't think it is justifiable to say that all live versions have digital out problems. it nearly always is a mixture of the ALSA version and different/new hardware combined with plain wrong settings in the audio settings panel.

if you have new hardware that is not supported by the live image out of the box, but do not want to have a full ubuntu desktop (which always brings the pulseaudio problems) it is always highly recommendable to start with the minimal or server image and follow the XBMCbuntu wiki from thereon. the result is more often than not a perfect appliance-like XBMC HTPC installation with not much fiddling around, and one that can be updated whenever you want, which often breaks the live installations.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
You're right. I did not mean that all Live versions have these troubles. But I do think, however, that the current one (9.10?) has, alas.
I upgraded to Dharma Beta 4 and lost all audio over HDMI and after a few days of trying fixes this one finally worked.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=636...stcount=54

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live - No Audio from HDMI?0