• 4(current)
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox)
well still no luck sifting through the manual so i apologize to all if im completly blind...
to anyone who has done this is using somthing like "webdrive" the only way to do thisHuh

thanks again everyone
sorry, i am a bit tired.

the real answer is no, it's not possible to acces xbox via smb. your only option are ftp, and possibly webdrive as you said
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

wonderful! now i can sleep!
i hate when i get stuck on something like that i just can't quit until i find the answer.
as a previous guy wrote but seemed to be ignored i'll write it again as i also have done this for a couple of years. it's not perfect but is almost as good as having a proper network share and quicker and more convenient than using a standard ftp. you can't move files, you'll have to copy then delete and you may need to use flashfxp for certain ftp things still, but it does make things easier. you cannot map a drive to it but the name will persist through reboots under network places off file explorer, making it very convenient. at least try it...

go to my network places on file explorer

double click 'add network place'

click next

select 'choose another network location' (prolly only option)

click next

type:-
ftp://xbox:[email protected]/
into 'internet or network address' box
substituting password with your xbox ftp password and sub 10.0.0.90 with your xbox static ip (set xbox to use static ip if currently using dchp)

click next

type the name xbox

click next

click finish

now you can always quickly get to your xbox under 'my network places'. you may also want to map ftp://xbox:[email protected]/f/games/
to xbox_games for convenience. i do...
streaming from pc to xbox works great, but if have all my stuff on the xbox, can i stream from the xbox to a computer? i tried using smb to my xbox ip, but it didnt work...

thanks fellas
personally, i'd love to see this feature. my xbox is always on and if its not only takes a few seconds to boot. i have a huge hd on the xbox and would love to be able to stream from it.

however it doesnt seem to be important to many developers as threads on the subject suggest.

i wish i had the skills to add it to the project.

hopefully someday it will be added.
Sad 
is it possible to add smb server support to xbmc? we already have the smb client that works great, but a server would be far more user friendly than the current ftp (altough adequate). the server could either be totally without security or have two simple layers of access; one read only account and one full control account. this functionality would greatly simplify the task of moving files to/from the xbox. i undertand that xbmc already uses samba for smb functionality. smb server support is also available in samba. another thing would be full integration with samba or windows letting the xbox be browsable from the network, let you use accounts from the domain database for access control and secure channels, but i guess we do not have the memory or resources available on the xbox to do that. anyway, thanks for a great product.
i too would like this not so much from a file moving point of view but for audio and video stored on my xbox. i need all the space on my pc for pc stuff and like to keep all my media on my 120gb hd in my xbox. but from time to time i want to listne to my mps' on my xbox and this means i have to ftp the tracks i want Sad
search and you would now its been asked multiple times and the answer is unfortunately no
i got 100mbit/s network between my lappy and xbox. i only have 40 gigs of hd in my lappy so i would like to share the xbox hd as "network drive" so my xbox would show up on my network neigbourhood. is this possible? ftp is too clumsy.
this has been asked sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times.

quick answer no.

long answer, xmbc does not (and i believe may never have) a samba server built in.

if you must share via samba, get a xenuim mod chip or live with smb.

ps, use the search button

edit: see that sentence above "...or live with smb." should read "... or live with ftp" my bad!
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
(sd00 @ jan. 05 2005,10:27 Wrote:this has been asked sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times.

quick answer no.

long answer, xmbc does not (and i believe may never have) a samba server built in.

if you must share via samba, get a xenuim mod chip or live with smb.

ps, use the search button
it's easy: http://southrivertech.com/index.php?pg=....rive/index

been using this for a loooong time.
Quote:it's easy: http://southrivertech.com/index.php?pg=....rive/index

been using this for a loooong time.

its still ftp.

you can just make a shortcut in xp (yes i know there will be no drive letter!Wink

try this, right click desktop, select new->shortcut, set the location to ftp://xbox:[email protected] (set address as required) & that works but its still ftp.

it will not be a normal share in your workgroup / domain.
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
i know it's still ftp but he asked for a solution in which the xbox would show up as a networkdrive. that's what webdrive does.
Quote:show up as a networkdrive
it shows up as a mapped drive! (is there a difference - ie does it show up in network neighbourhood?)

Quote:i know it's still ftp
he said ftp is too clumbsy!.

if he must use samba, then i believe the xenuim is the only way at the moment.  

if he simply wants a drive letter, webdrive will do that

if he want's quick access to xbox folders, a shortcut will do the trick (is free too!Wink.

anyway, each to their own!  i personnaly prefer flashfxp as you can queue tons of shit up - to many different folders / from many different sources, then hit transfer & go have a coffee while it does its thang!

regards - steve.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox)0