my system can't play HD (720p) when XBMC is running, but can when XBMC is off
Hi,
I have following configuration:
- Intel Celeron 2.66 GHz
- NVidia GeForce 7300 SE
- 1 GB DDR RAM
- 1280x800 display

recently I've installed XBMC Dharma Beta 4 and I've tried to play H264, MKV, HD 720p videos. To my surprise the playback went choppy each time there was a little more action going on the screen. I tried to play with video settings, but without much luck. So I've did "apt-get install mplayer" and tried to play this file with MPlayer. But the video still didn't play smooth. I was a little confused, because my laptop with Celeron M 1.4GHz and integrated Intel i915GM chipset could play 720p almost smoothly, so I thought that above hardware would handle it without hassle.
And then idea came to my mind. I logged to my xbmc box through SSH (don't have keyboard there) and did:
1) /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop
2) xinit &
3) DISPLAY=:0 mplayer -fs file.mkv

and suddenly I managed to get completely smooth video playback on my box, without single dropped frame. Hell, I even managed to play almost smoothly one of 1080p videos (but on other, 1280x1024 display). When I tried to play my file with MPlayer with XBMC in background, XBMC was just sitting there doing nothing - no video playback, image browsing, music etc., but I checked and it was eating ~25% of my CPU! Is this normal and expected?
I finally managed to get smooth playback with MPlayer and XBMC in background by doing "renice -n 19" on xbmc process. But it doesn't solve issue with XBMC itself, because when I'll do this it will also set priority 19 on movie player that XBMC will launch, so I will still get choppy playback while using XBMC.
Is there anyway around this? Anything I can do to reduce CPU intensiveness of XBMC or at least change priority of XBMC GUI itself, but not the movie player?
If there's need, I can provide any additional information, do some testing, etc. - just let me know (and possible also tell how to get information you're interested in).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my system can't play HD (720p) when XBMC is running, but can when XBMC is off0