Timer issue in linux?
The problem affects many: text scrolling, music visualisation, pictures slideshow, etc,
always run in the way slow fast slow fast slow fast... not in a steady speed,
and it's through 9.11 to 10.0b4, both i386 and amd64,
while in windows version, everything runs smoothly.
I think it's something related to the timer implements in linux.

BTW, no one is working on xbmc-wiiremote? it connects/disconnects very frequently just like the behaviour in speed above, this issue seems exsiting for nearly two years :-|
forgot to tell my environments:
xubuntu 9.10 i386, with xbmc 9.11, AMD Sempron 140, 785G(HD4200), fglrx 9.10
ubuntu 10.10 amd64, with xbmc 10.0 beta4, Intel E5200, HD5750, fglrx 10.10
Since you are using the fglrx driver I deduce that you are using an Ait (AMD) graphics card. Are you using desktop effects (i.e. compositing/Compiz) too? Then deactivate that. Those flying wobbly window effects use OpenGL compositing. And XBMC uses that as well. But no two applications/processes can use it at the same time.

What Ati card are you using? You are using the closed source binary driver from AMD/Ati themselved. I have heard that the open drivers (called Radeon) perform better now-a-days than the closed ones.

Anyway, Ati, Linux, overlay, KMS (kernel mode seting) and XBMC: very very complicated story. I got it all sort of working and got an old second hand Nvidia card: and away flew my problems. You might have a look in the socalled "Phoronix" forums.

Good luck Smile
See #2
I never start compositing / compiz when using XBMC
oss radeon driver is not full featured (3D) for both of above two cards for now, UI runs extremely slow.

I remember that I ever used a nvidia 8600GT before HD5750, xbmc (9.11) acted the same,
so it's not like video card relevant
Hmmmmm. You sure you had the same probs w/ an Nvidia card? That slow/fast problem with everything really seems like a driver problem. Can you try playing a movie w/ mplayer?

Or download a Debian, Ubuntu or Knoppix live CD to see if that does work. Strange prob. I really wouldn't know what's the matter...
no problems with audio/video playing, just the rolling like behaviours, and music visiualisation especially OpenGL spectrum cycling...
Can report same problem here.

Fresh install of XBMC on vanilla Ubuntu 10.10, on DELL Zino HD (AMD64) with ATI4330 graphics (per instructions found on XBMC wiki). Did install proprietary ATI/AMD driver however.

Problem clearly visible when running slideshow, which is completely unusable due to the jerkiness of the fading/zooming/panning.
Don't use the compositing desktop effects of Compiz. That uses openGL whereas XBMC exclusively wants to use it..
Compiz... huh?

In principle I have no idea what this refers to. Remember that I stated that this is a vanilla out-of-the-box installation, which one would expect to run smoothly with the delivered defaults.

Googling for Compiz I see that it refers to a windows manager technology. What should I - as a novice Ubuntu user - need to know anything about this at this stage of setup and use? More precisely, what do I need to do to check if this is indeed the cause of the problem?

Thx - Henrik
What is Ubuntu Vanilla? Link? Compiz is a window manager (doesn't matter what precisely that is) that enables the so-called '3D desktop effects'. Wobbling windows etc. To turn it off type in a terminal:
Code:
metacity --replace
And restart XBMC.
Sorry for the confusion... 'vanilla' is just common English slang for plain, simple, out-of-the-box, no customization, all defaults, etc. I just assumed that everybody knew of this phrase ;-)

Just take it as I downloaded the official public 10.10 distro for AMD64 from ubuntu.com and installed it with all the defaults.

Thanks for the suggestion re. avoiding the problem. I'll try it when I get home and let you know how I fare.

I will also check if it is evident when running xbmc-standalone... without the window manager started first this may work smoothly.
Update: Changing window manager to metacity did NOT change a thing, nor did disabling all fancy effects in the GUI/desktop manager.

I have also tried to boot directly into xbmc-standalone, and problem is also evident there.

Like the original poster, and true to the title of this thread, I too believe this is a timer problem. This is NOT a window manager issue.

A little more detail on the symptom: Running a slideshow works OK, in the sense that pictures are shown one after the other. However, these are the anomalies:

1) the INTERVAL between pictures are changed is way shorter that specified, like 2 seconds version 6 seconds specified

2) the speed by which the picture is panned varies between the expected SLOW pace, and a MUCH FASTER speed, at least x2, perhaps even x3 or more, it is hard to tell exactly.

3) the interval by which the speed changes is EXACTLY 1 second apart, i.e. 1 second with normal slow panning, 1 second with fast panning, then 1 seconds slow, etc. This also carries over to the next picture, so if the picture is changed halfway through a slow pan, the new picture also starts out slow panning, and vice versa for fast panning.

Since both the panning speed, as well as the picture change rate, is faster than normal, one could suspect a more central timing routine to be flawed here. Again this is on a 64-bit system, which in other regards (Linux/Debian related) have been known to have problems in this area, but I am only guessing here.
Exactly, agree with hschultz1960 #12.
The same to the other things mentioned above,
oh, just see the bottom RSS news in the start screen, it's scrolling in that way
Hello all,

I have solved that timer issue you described above as you will see below. I had exactly the same problem under debian (tried xbmc 10.0 and also 10.1) on debian linux. It was not a problem under windows. My ATI card is 5670 (fglrx driver).
Searched for latency timer settings in google, without luck. Then searched for some fglrx settings. When I found in "Ati catalyst control center" option to setup vertical sync always on, xbmc just did not have anymore "timer issue".. Big Grin

So my hint for this is so simple as set in XBMC in system settings - video - vertical sync always ON.

Hope this help someone. And need to say: I'm new to XBMC, but it rocks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timer issue in linux?2