XBMC Movie Helper
Hi,

I wrote a little application in the past 2 days which serves my needs to index my movies. It just creates an .nfo for every movie, containing a hand-selected IMDB link, so XBMC's scrapers always find the correct movie. Without it, I have a failure rate of about 10%, which can be very disappointing managing > 1000 movies. Using this method, I can always rescan my library, with a (hopefully) failure rate of 0.

If someone is in search of a similar tool, it is free and can be downloaded here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2VKHPGK

It requires .NET framework 4.0, which can be downloaded from MS website: .NET Framework 4.0

Some words one how to use it:

1. First time usage: Open options; type in the IMDB site of your choice (.com, .de, .fr, ...) and optionally enhance the list of recognized movie file extensions.

2. Select the root folder of your movies, after that, all movies should be listed in the lower window part.

3. If there are already .nfo files, the application extracts the IMDB-ID and shows it in front of the movie name.

4. Selecting a movie may result in 2 different scenarios:

- If the IMDB-ID is known, the movies site is opened in the browser view. If it is wrong, you can always start a new search using the <Re-Search> button.

- Otherwise an IMDB-search is started. You should than navigate to the correct movie.

In either case, if a the correct movie is visible in the browser view (you can use the browser as usual to find the correct movie, i.e. find it using known actors), click on <Use IMDB ID>, which maps the current movie to the current IMDB-ID. This subsequently creates the .nfo file for this movie. OVERRIDING THE PREVIOUS .NFO SILENTLY.

Known issues: I got some crashes on XP-Systems which I never got on Seven. This happens when the browser window is updated. Maybe something with the older IE's or IE plugins installed on this systems. I have not much time to analyse it, but will try to do it asap. Somebody knows a free debugger compatible with .NET4, I don't want to install VS on these XP machines ?

Hopefully someone will find it useful,
best regards,
hobBIT
This sounds like a nice little tool. One question though, why are you choosing to just give xbmc an imdb link to scan? With such a large library, why not store all of your fanart, thumbs, and movie info locally? I have ~550 movies and ~700 episodes of tv. Rescanning all of that over the internet on every new install would be a big pita, but stored on my local network it take a fraction of the time.
It's imho the most simple mapping of movies and information about it. Beside XBMC, the Moving Pictures plugin of Mediaportal, Extreme Movie Manager and surely other apps can use this information. In addition, I can swap between different scrapers and scraper settings and do a rescan every time.
As my HTPC runs 24/7, I can start a rescan before going to sleep, so next morning my database is up-to-date.
Please reup this file, because it is offline.

- Sorry for my english -
Looks like something i've been looking for, and i would love to give it a try, but it seems your upload is outdated.
Great tool for create semi-automatic .NFO files for movies with IMDB link.
Just a little wish, for serials will be good to have some kind of "Fix page" button, which prevent to do new search on browser window if you have click on next episode file.
Just explain a little, for example for "The X files" we have 9 Seasons. General Page with link for all Seasons and Episodes next: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/episodes#season-1
I have files like this:
The X Files.S01E01.Deep Throat.avi
The X Files.S01E02.Squeeze.avi
The X Files.S01E03.Conduit.avi
When I click to first file, I have "No Matches" replay, but simple cut string in IMDB search field to "The X Files" and click to 2-3 links I have got what need to be searched. See above General Page. So, after that I click to appropriate Season and Episode link an got good link in .NFO for E01: tt0170817. But when I click to next file in files list, all search steps repeat again, with "No Matches", etc. Back button help a little, but anyway it need to additional mouse actions.
So, I mean: press on proposed button "Fix page" may freeze General Page with no new IMDB search, till this button will be pushed again.
Thanks.
Hi,

due to the requests for re-upping the files, it can now be downloaded here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1445004/XBMC/Xbm...per1.0.zip (hopefully more stable download). This download has a minimal fix, the search has a better encoding now, if titles include i.E. an '&', it should be included in the search correctly.

In addition, a screenshot caught during one of my sessions:

best regards,
hobBIT
Thank you!
LRaven Wrote:Great tool for create semi-automatic .NFO files for movies with IMDB link.
Just a little wish, for serials will be good to have some kind of "Fix page" button, which prevent to do new search on browser window if you have click on next episode file.
Just explain a little, for example for "The X files" we have 9 Seasons. General Page with link for all Seasons and Episodes next: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/episodes#season-1
I have files like this:
The X Files.S01E01.Deep Throat.avi
The X Files.S01E02.Squeeze.avi
The X Files.S01E03.Conduit.avi
When I click to first file, I have "No Matches" replay, but simple cut string in IMDB search field to "The X Files" and click to 2-3 links I have got what need to be searched. See above General Page. So, after that I click to appropriate Season and Episode link an got good link in .NFO for E01: tt0170817. But when I click to next file in files list, all search steps repeat again, with "No Matches", etc. Back button help a little, but anyway it need to additional mouse actions.
So, I mean: press on proposed button "Fix page" may freeze General Page with no new IMDB search, till this button will be pushed again.
Thanks.

Hi LRaven,

I wrote this tool to index movies, never thought about series too (I use the TVDB scraper for this kind of things). Is it helpful to index every episode with the same IMDB ID ? I have done a little test, thinking that the TVDB scraper can use these .NFO files, but either this doesn't work or I have done something wrong.

Anyway, if I understand you right, you like to create an .NFO for every episode, containing all the same link in the end. There are much simpler ways to create this, just use a little python script (Use with caution, and never on a non-backup'd video-library, destroying a large movie collection with one bad line of code is not impossible :-)):

Code:
import os

seriesPath = 'g:/XbmcDB4/TestData/Series/X - Files'
videoExt = '.avi'
imdbId = 'tt0106179'

for fileName in os.listdir(seriesPath):
    if (fileName.endswith(videoExt)):
        nfoFile = os.path.join(seriesPath, fileName[:-4] + '.nfo')

print('Create: ' + nfoFile)

f = open(nfoFile, 'w')
        f.write('http://www.imdb.com/title/' + imdbId)
        f.close()
hobBIT
>Anyway, if I understand you right, you like to create an .NFO for every episode, containing all the same link in the end.
Not exact, all episodes have different links and NFO contents, but all these links placed on one General Page, which already found. I just request that if point mouse to next file episode and if before has been pressed new button "Fix Page" do not try to search this episode file name in IMDB site as from beginning. In this case just one "Back" button press from previous episode and we are on General Page again. Ok, if this not very useful for other users, newer mind.
Thanks, anyway for great tool!
LRaven Wrote:hobBIT
>Anyway, if I understand you right, you like to create an .NFO for every episode, containing all the same link in the end.
Not exact, all episodes have different links and NFO contents, but all these links placed on one General Page, which already found. I just request that if point mouse to next file episode and if before has been pressed new button "Fix Page" do not try to search this episode file name in IMDB site as from beginning. In this case just one "Back" button press from previous episode and we are on General Page again. Ok, if this not very useful for other users, newer mind.
Thanks, anyway for great tool!

Hi,
the problem was I didn't understand you up to the end :-) Try this version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1445004/XBMC/Xbm....0Lock.zip
hope this is what you require. The <Toggle Search Lock> button memorizes the page that is currently visible and displays it in every case a new search would be done normally. (Not in the case if the IMDB ID is already known for an entry). Pressing it again will go back to normal functionality. See this as special build for you, as I'm not sure others will use this. If I'm wrong, please inform me !

best regards,
hobBIT
hobBIT
Great! This is what I expected.
Thanks.
This looks like a great tool to update my NFO files. I've tried it on a few and it's wonderful.

My only problem is I have 800+ movies to fix. Can you make a button or checkboxes to write all the NFO files for selected movies in one click?

Thanks!
tarataqa Wrote:This looks like a great tool to update my NFO files. I've tried it on a few and it's wonderful.

My only problem is I have 800+ movies to fix. Can you make a button or checkboxes to write all the NFO files for selected movies in one click?

Thanks!

Hi,
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. It is intended to map movie files to a hand selected online information that other tools (i.E. XBMC scrapers) can use to find the correct movie info. If I would build in an automated selection, the result would remove the idea of this tool.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
hobBIT
i'm loving it !
Tried it, and it does exactly what i need, and, more important, nothing more Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Movie Helper1