• 2(current)
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept
I just want to say I really like this. I loved the concrete idea as well but that seemed to fall to the way side and what we tend to get left with is a lot of stuff that looks 'the same'

I truly mean no disrespect but really it wants a shake up and this sort of thing is exactly whats required. I just really hope you guys work it through.
garyi Wrote:I just want to say I really like this. I loved the concrete idea as well but that seemed to fall to the way side and what we tend to get left with is a lot of stuff that looks 'the same'

I truly mean no disrespect but really it wants a shake up and this sort of thing is exactly whats required. I just really hope you guys work it through.

I've got the graphics on lock, I'm psyched. Hopefully I'll find a partner who can help with the actual skinning, otherwise I'm going to be a while learning the skinning engine more in-depth.
Looks like an excellent concept and deffinatly one that needs developing.
I'm not a newbie. I always act this dumb.

Home Cinema Setup
-------------------
37 inch TV - Intel I3 530 @ 2.9GHZ - 4 Gig Memory - Silverstone home cinema case (silver)
I think it could help the poster fit a bit better to make a textured diffuse border from the texture underneath it, rather than use a hard straight edge.

Other than that, I'm really liking the look of this. Definitely very creative.
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]• nate w.
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
natew Wrote:I think it could help the poster fit a bit better to make a textured diffuse border from the texture underneath it, rather than use a hard straight edge.

Other than that, I'm really liking the look of this. Definitely very creative.

Yeah I think that will most likely end up being a drop shadow instead. The good news is everything is transparent png and layered up in Photoshop so minor tweaks like that are no big deal.
Wow. Amazing and stunning. Every bit of information is displayed and laid out and yet it all fits together and nothing looks out of place. I'm going to be watching this develop.
Added a couple new view mock-ups to the first post.

I'm almost done mocking up some of the music screens and some other incidentals. I'm going to start working on some custom icons for media flags next. I'm thinking something similar to the ones I use on my DroidX right now.

Thanks again for all the encouragement. I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this here, since I've seen so many concepts crash and burn - but you guys are really getting me excited about seeing this through.
The design is amazing, looks absolutely stunning.

That said I don't know if I could use it every day as it is quite busy but if it played nicely with an ion I'd definitely be trying it out.

A couple of things from the views I wondered, have considered scrolling for long titles and plot descriptions?

Also in the info view, which is by far my favourite, have you considered adding cast support, it's a feature a lot of people use and could work quite well if you implemented something with the polaroids.

Oh and the watched icon looks great in info, hope that transfers over on the the movie browsing.

Good luck with it.
Hi blacklist, it is nice to see some new idea. It's look great you know, you have good point of view but there is a lot of work to do, please take care of details to all look coherent. Search design scene and look for some vintage view, mayby you inspire you. And don't hurry there a lot of skins that realization is not that good as idea. Keep working, I cross my fingers. good luck, regards.
AsRock 330 HT, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Openelec 3.2.4
Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB RAM, Kingston 120GB SSD, OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131126081257-r16438
blacklist Wrote:Added a couple new view mock-ups to the first post.

I'm almost done mocking up some of the music screens and some other incidentals. I'm going to start working on some custom icons for media flags next. I'm thinking something similar to the ones I use on my DroidX right now.

Thanks again for all the encouragement. I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this here, since I've seen so many concepts crash and burn - but you guys are really getting me excited about seeing this through.

Looks great mate, really looking forward to seeing this skin in action!
blacklist Wrote:So, I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while now with the intention of designing and coding it myself. I'm posting it today to see if:

A) There is any interest in a skin concept like this (its pretty off the radar from most of the skins out there)

Finally, something fresh. Very nice.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

craigd Wrote:The design is amazing, looks absolutely stunning.

That said I don't know if I could use it every day as it is quite busy but if it played nicely with an ion I'd definitely be trying it out.

A couple of things from the views I wondered, have considered scrolling for long titles and plot descriptions?

Also in the info view, which is by far my favourite, have you considered adding cast support, it's a feature a lot of people use and could work quite well if you implemented something with the polaroids.

Oh and the watched icon looks great in info, hope that transfers over on the the movie browsing.

Good luck with it.

I suspect that as graphically heavy as it will be, that ion may struggle with it. But we won't know or sure until i can start really getting it built.

The cast view is coming for sure - it's not a view I use a lot, but i agree that it could fit in perfectly to the theme.

Scrolling text is one of the technical hurdles in my mind. I'm concerned that the combination of angles and scrolling are not going to be rendered well. Its possible that once i get it in action i may need to devote some more space to descriptions, or cut them off.

As far as the watched icons go, i actually have some different ideas as far as the views go. For the episodes, i have a paperclip that hangs over the poloroid with a llittle red scrap of paper to indicate watched. I'll shoot up a picture in a bit and you can check it out.

It's going to be busy for sure.I'm hoping that the eye candy and immersive experience will make it worth the design.
mstef Wrote:Hi blacklist, it is nice to see some new idea. It's look great you know, you have good point of view but there is a lot of work to do, please take care of details to all look coherent. Search design scene and look for some vintage view, mayby you inspire you. And don't hurry there a lot of skins that realization is not that good as idea. Keep working, I cross my fingers. good luck, regards.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm spending the time in mockup simply for that very reason - trying to develop a unified theme and look. I agree with one of the posts above that the info view is my favorite right now, and I'm trying to get all the views to be clear and precise.
Very impressive mockup Wink
Updated the screenshots on post 1 with some minor changes, here's what I'm working on now:

Music View [BETA]:

Alternate Episode View:

The idea on the alternate view is that the episodes on the left scroll vertically. Still needs some fleshing out.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept7