Fails to mount /home on RAID1 array at boot
I just installed xbmc (several times) and I keep getting a recurring problem at boot where my 1 TB RAID 1 array wont mount as the /home directory.

I have a 32 GB ssd as my / directory. I intended to store all non-OS files on my 1 tb home directory. I get to the splash screen but then receieve an error dropping to a recovery shell which indicates that /home is failing to mount.

I can't figure this out, please help.

BTW: installed Dharma 4 xbmcfreak
One or more of the mounts listed in in /etc/fstab cannot yet be mounted:
(ESC for recovery shell)
/home: waiting for UUID=dbb7ea4c-.......
[7.796588] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
[7.801573] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
[7.809383] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through

I also have a error saying error probing SMB2
Hi,

mdadm is not part of the xbmc-live.iso. you have to boot into recovery mode and configure it manually.

"sudo apt-get update"

"sudo apt-get install mdadm"

Then manually assemble your raid1 and mount it using fstab

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harry,

I configured the RAID during install in the paritioner. When i bring up fstab in the shell it shows my raid device. I was under the impression that mdadm was installed by the partitioner during the install process.
Nope unfortunately,

You have to do it manually after the xbmc install process. Its a pain in the arse. you will have to update fstab with the uuid of your raid1 array after you assemble it. You might be better going the xbmcbuntu route when using raid.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
any chance you could point me towards some info on that process?
Which process? xbmcbuntu or setting up raid on xbmc-live?

cheers
setting up the raid array if you dont mind.

I like the way xbmcfreak is setup so I would like to maintain that on my SSD. I tried to mount the raid array through webmin but I feel like I don't quite know all the steps and doing it through terminal is probably more foolproof anyway.

All I want is a 1TB RAID1 array to contain all my media. It can't be that hard right?
Sure, i'll document the steps i used and post here tomorrow.

cheers
Your a life saver harry. Thanks so much
Hi,

Here are the steps i used, using xbmc-freak rc1.

1) Go through the installation process, setting up your raid1 array to bo mounted to /home. Complete the installation.

2) when you boot for the first time, an error message will appear. Choose m for manual recovery.

3) At the terminal (if you want to use ssh, type "sudo service ssh start" without the quotes then continue from your other machine.

type

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install mdadm

select no configuration when promted. When its finished,
4) type

Code:
sudo mdadm --examine --scan --verbose

It should output your /dev/md0 devices and uuid

Make a note of your uuid and devices (/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc)

5) type

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

replace the uuid that is mounted to /home with "/dev/md0" it should look something like this

/dev/md0 /home ext4 defaults 0 2

save (Control + o)

6) type

Code:
sudo nano /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

At the end of the file, insert

ARRAY /dev/md0 UUID=3aaa0122:29827cfa:5331ad66:ca767371

Replacing the uuid with the one you noted down

save (Control + o)

7) type

Code:
sudo mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

replacing /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 with the devices from before.

8) type

Code:
sudo mount -a

9) type exit at the terminal of your htpc. It should boot into xbmc.

cheers
haryy........i love you as much as one hetero man can love another

thank you so much!
Hahaha.. No Problem

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fails to mount /home on RAID1 array at boot0