Ubuntu: Quit/Shutdown/Restart simply restarts xbmc
I know this issue has been discused several times, but I did not found any solution to my problem, so:
I have a system runing on ubuntu 10.10 with xbmc set up by following this guide:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu
After a bit of tweeking, everything runs perfectly, but the shutdown of the system. Everytime I select one of the three options from the shutdown menu (quit / shutdown / restart), xmbs simply starts again.
I would like to shutdown or restart the system out of the xbmc frontend, but how? Here some additional infos:
- xbmc has permissions to run the needed commands. If I log on as xbmc, I can sudo reboot and sudo shutdown without any problems
- i do not use any window manager, as i use the system solely for xbmc
can anyone help me please?
Not sure I can help much but...

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10. Im having also issues with the shutdown but not so much to be seen critical (at least for me).

Some days ago my cat decided to dance La Macarena on my keyboard (while I was watching Burn Notice no less) and hit a key that somehow invoked hibernation or something similar.

Since then, everytime I try to Shutdown... it just goes to hibernate. When I come back and turn on the system (click on power on) the HTPC runs the normal check on memory, cpu, u know, the bios thing and then it loads directly into XBMC on the on/off menu (Media Redux skin).

The only time it works normal is when I exit XBMC and then do a normal shutdown from the WM. But after that, next time I try to do a shutdown is again doing a hibernation.

The reason is not a big deal is that I always avoided doing hibernation because heard of some users having trouble with it, and seing it work now and being able to get back into xbmc without having to mount the windows drive (where my tv shows are at) it is actually a blessing.

Decided to reply here because I thought we're both having issues, but I'm not really mad at it.

ELP
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
i think the problem is that user xbmc has no rights to suspend/shutdown, in fact when you do :

"sudo reboot and sudo shutdown without any problems " you are actually doing it as root due to the sudo command

check http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ubu...end_/_Wake
i installed maverick and i think i had it working, but since it does not have support for oss compat in alsa, which i need to watch tv, i reverted to lucid.

try adding the policies, it should work
Philips 32PFL6606D
Intel N3150 fanless + 4Gb DDR3 + SSD 64Gb + 3TB+3TB WD RED
Hama MCE remote.
Ubuntu 18.04 minimal install + KODI
Hi there, thanks it worked! Another question: how do you watch tv with xbmc? MythTV?
nah, mythtv is cool but as it records all the stuff and then streams the video from the recorded feed, it takes several seconds to start showing video after you change the channel, so if you want to do quick zapping you cannot. im using tvtime for livetv. here in argentina digital tv or hidef tv is not popular, we are still stuck with sd tv. so my simple tvtuner works perfect with tvtime, but for dvb or astc i think tvheadend is realyl cool.
yet again, if you dont mind the slowness when changing channels mythtv is the more advanced stuff... way overkill for my likings, though.

the good thing is that mythtv and tvheadend have some integration posibilities into xbmc for what i have been reading. thats a pro.
Philips 32PFL6606D
Intel N3150 fanless + 4Gb DDR3 + SSD 64Gb + 3TB+3TB WD RED
Hama MCE remote.
Ubuntu 18.04 minimal install + KODI

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu: Quit/Shutdown/Restart simply restarts xbmc0