WMA Lossless Playback Fails with Dharma RC1
I archive all of my media in Windows Media Lossless format (for a number of reasons - outside of the scope of this discussion). None of them play with Dharma RC1, or for that matter, any build newer than the old pre-Camelot builds. If I try to play an individual file, nothing happens visually. If I try to play a folder, I will get an operation failed - too many errors after it goes through enough WMA files.

Sysinfo is:
Win7 x86, all patches, *not* SP1 prerel
Intel Quad Core Q6660
4GB memory
XBMC Dharma RC1

syslog: http://pastebin.com/ApWXpFfc

I'd really love to figure out why this is happening and get it fixed as I have a LOT of media in this format. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

CltFlyboy
Get a full debug log for a start (settings->system->debugging).

It's likely, however, that your WMAs are simply not supported by ffmpeg. Try ffplay to confirm this.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the lead. You were absolutely right, ffplay crashes with a "can't open codec1" error.

So the questions are:

1) What is the path from XBMC with regards to ffmpeg (as it's dead)?
2) Will there ever be native support for the WMA losslec codec?
3) Can I forklift support for the WMA lossless codec into ffmpeg myself?
4) If not the above, what can I do to make my media experience seamless? I just tried using both Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player but they distract from the "pure" XBMC experience

I think that there are a lot of people that either are using this codec or have used it and may have lots of files they want to play with XBMC...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
The only thing you can do is check with current ffmpeg (i.e. ffplay from mainline ffmpeg's svn/git) and if it still crashes, post a bug report with ffmpeg. Please make sure you do all you can to verify it's not a bad file, and ensure you supply all the information needed (eg ffplay logs, sample file etc.)

Unless you're a coder ofcourse and wish to bug hunt yourself Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks again Jonathan. I'll go down the ffmpeg debug route and see where I can get. I might just have to crack open the code, been a while since I did anything serious but I've been around the block more than once, been coding a long, long time Smile

--Henry
Ahh so this is why Half my library has stopped playing.... I really hate having to keep two versions of files for compatibility with all my various devices... WMA Lossless allowed me to have 1 file for every device...

Sadly I will not have time to do all the leg work for the ffmpeg guys until winter break...
Hey Cold - this started happening waaaay back somewhere in the 16000 builds. I kept a version of PAPlayer that I knew worked for a long time, then the underlying ffmpeg filters got whacked and it's not worked since.

I'm with you, I like one format that's portable to my devices and WMA is my choice. I'm trying to find the time myself to determine where the solution will be...

--Henry
There is still no resolution or work around for this?
According to the FFmpeg website wma lossless decode support was added way back in june 2010.

So where is the failure?
So I found that WMA 10 Pro Lossless works... Something not available via standard tools. Still glad I found it
Scratch that. WMA works.... Lossless does not Sad
same thing in RC2, WMA Lossless don't work Blush
When MS release the spec for WMA Lossless we'll support it. Life is too short to reverse engineer Microsoft's paranoia.

JR
Sad 
Still not work WMA Lossless in latest XBMC 12 Frodo RC2, for example works great in foobar2000, please add it to XBMC.
Thumbs Down 
Still nothing, c'mon xbmc team.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WMA Lossless Playback Fails with Dharma RC11