• 3(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive
@jjhdtv

Sorry!!

Please run the last part of that script (the CrystalHD part) as there was a typo in the original!!
I just ran it (again) here and installation of CrystalHD went fine. It also shows up in XBMC now.
JDizzy Wrote:A word to the wise: DO NOT use this on your stick!
I read another post a while back by someone who did... I think it was titled:
DDS fanart on a stick = OH OH!!

As Sam said above, he is working on an app and image that will automate putting this all on your HD... your call.

DDS works fine on a thumbdrive, I'm running it on a 8GB stick with 55 TV Shows and 400 Movies. Just make sure you're running a 8GB stick or larger.

Code:
xbmc@MC-XBMC:~$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3             6.7G  2.6G  3.9G  40% /
varrun                122M   76K  122M   1% /var/run
varlock               122M     0  122M   0% /var/lock
udev                  122M   32K  122M   1% /dev
devshm                122M  4.0K  122M   1% /dev/shm
Philmatic Wrote:DDS works fine on a thumbdrive, I'm running it on a 8GB stick

same here
Quote:DDS works fine on a thumbdrive, I'm running it on a 8GB stick with 55 TV Shows and 400 Movies. Just make sure you're running a 8GB stick or larger.

Let me rephrase, if you are running a 8GB stick, make sure the entire stick is usable. Mine only had 500MB left after putting the image on and truthfully, I couldn't understand how to get the rest of the stick (4GB) back and usable not to say that I might have run out of room anyways...

Here is original post regarding 8GB thumbdrive + dds = oops:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82796

Buyer beware...
Firstly - thanks for all the hard work and advice in this thread. I'm currently running piins image from a 16gb USB stick and am pretty happy with it. Using the instructions in this thread I expanded the free space, updated the crystal driver and updated to rc1 - Ll is good. I have a couple of questions though

1 what is the easiest way to reimage the USB stick in it's current stare? Bit concerned about something happening to it and me losing all the hard work I put in! I have access to Linux windows and osx so any tool recommendations would be great

2 I'm thinkning of taking the next step and installing this image alongside the apple tv os - there are instructions to do this with sector values for a 40gb drive in the thread somewhere, but it'd be great if someone could give me the vlaue to partition a 160gb drive to have say 80gb for the apple media partion and the rest for xbmc/linux/swap

3 has anyone had any luck updating the nvidia drivers on pins image recently? I updated the repository but couldn't see anything that looked like the right driver set to install then I looked through the list...

Thanks again!
Ant1973 Wrote:1 what is the easiest way to reimage the USB stick in it's current stare? Bit concerned about something happening to it and me losing all the hard work I put in! I have access to Linux windows and osx so any tool recommendations would be great!

Might try:
http://www.filecluster.com/downloads/USB...-Tool.html

I used it on Windows machine to put image on USB and also back it up to HD.
Run as Administrator if you use it.
You can image any USB drive/ hard drive etc. Using Linux, you can download ubuntu and burn a CD and use the live version for it.

Use the following commands in terminal:

Code:
sudo parted
print all

Find the value of your USB drive (Ex: sdb1,sdb2,sda2) Just find the one for your USB drive.

Repalce /dev/sda with your USB drive you want to image.

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=~/disk1.img

To restore the image back to a drive use

Replace the values with your own.
Code:
dd if=disk1.img of=/dev/sda
Thanks for the script correction. I got the driver to install without errors. However, still no crystalhd render option in xbmc. I started from scratch using the usb image on my 8 gig drive. After I updated to RC1 as outlined in this thread, the crystal render option vanishes. Anyone else have this issue, any fix ideas?
Interesting, it was all good for me.
I have an option on the Video setup screen in the Settings area to enable Crystal HD support.
You just click it to set it.
Attempted one more time using R174. All is working at this time.
Having a spot of bother with this bit:
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
sudo mkdir tmp
sudo mount /dev/sda2 tmp
sudo nano tmp/com.apple.Boot.plist

The mount is ok but there is no com.apple.Boot.plist in the directory ?

After a reboot (still from the usb stick) I have the following:

xbmc@atv:~/tmp$ mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/Recovery type hfsplus (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,uhelper=hal)

after the mount I have this in the directory:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 tmp
xbmc@atv:~$ cd tmp
xbmc@atv:~/tmp$ ls
bin cdrom etc initrd initrd.img.old lost+found mnt proc sbin srv tmp var vmlinuz.old
boot dev home initrd.img lib media opt root share sys usr vmlinuz

Think my dev mount letters have changed somewhere ?
You mounted root (/) but want to mount Recovery which is always the first drive (/dev/sda1 not /dev/sda2)
silly me, of course! works a treat now, many thanks for your help!
mbetter Wrote:When you SSH in, you'll be in the XBMC user's home folder (/home/xbmc/). You need to put the advancedsettings.xml (no space) in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/.

Thanks for this,
I have added this by using textedit, cut and paste the advancedsettings script and saving file as advancedsettings.xml. I then use cyberduck to add this file to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata.
I reboot XBMC and cannot for the life of me find the advanced setting in the menu and it appears that DDS fanart is not working.

What am I doing wrongHuh

Cheers
kevthemilkman Wrote:Thanks for this,
I have added this by using textedit, cut and paste the advancedsettings script and saving file as advancedsettings.xml. I then use cyberduck to add this file to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata.
I reboot XBMC and cannot for the life of me find the advanced setting in the menu and it appears that DDS fanart is not working.

What am I doing wrongHuh

Cheers

in a ssh session run (cut and paste is probably best)

Code:
more /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep dds

should return:

<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>

If it does, then it's turned on and that's it. You probably are experiencing the initial slowdown as your art is cached. If not, I would not use textedit, since you don't know what funky things it may be doing with what appears to be whitespace.... in a ssh session, run

Code:
rm /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

This will remove any borked file that you may have.... then

Code:
nano /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Paste the following in:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
     <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

then press ctrl-x then y to save. And then restart xbmc to make it pick up the changes....

ssh in and run:

Code:
more /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep dds

and it should give you the right result. The first time you highlight any image it will be converted to a dds version. This means that it will seem slow the first time you navigate through your library as it will be caching your art as you go....

Jim
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive2