Comments and issues (Tab, Wi-Fi, remote buttons, broadcast)
I'm new to both XBMC and XBMC Android remote. After a weekend of use, I have some (perhaps even useful) comments.

Galaxy Tab: Resolution
I'm using a Galaxy Tab with 1024x600 resolution. The app itself mostly works great, just a full resolution skin for this device is missing for the "use as remote" feature.

Wi-Fi
I connect using Wi-Fi, and use a power saver. This results in the Wi-Fi being connected whenever I turn the screen on, and disconnected when I turn the screen off.

This causes the (a) that annoying "no connection" popup and (b) manually having to reconnect.

It would be great if an option could be added to NOT show the popup that XBMC Remote does not have a connection, and to automatically reconnect when a Wi-Fi network becomes available.

Buttons
(1) I know, volume up and down can be done with the hardware buttons. However, the volume buttons are inconveniently placed for left-handed usage, and as well as changing the volume of XBMC, they also occasionally change the volume on the device itself.

I would very much like volume controls in the remote.

(2) "audio" and "subtitle" buttons, that cycle through the available audio languages and subtitle languages (and "no subtitles"). It is a drag having to do this manually, and I need to do this for virtually every movie I watch.

(3) Seek bar, it would be great to have the seek bar (like we have in "now playing") in the remote mode.

Broadcast
In all my locations I use dynamic addressing for the PC's running XBMC. Instead of having to enter the host IP manually (and changing it repeatedly, hehe) could there be some form of detection / auto-discover / broadcasting ?

Me me me
I'm also an Android developer, by the way, I could possibly help out here and there, but my knowledge of XBMC itself is... tiny.
chainfire Wrote:I'm new to both XBMC and XBMC Android remote. After a weekend of use, I have some (perhaps even useful) comments.

Galaxy Tab: Resolution
I'm using a Galaxy Tab with 1024x600 resolution. The app itself mostly works great, just a full resolution skin for this device is missing for the "use as remote" feature.
Yes, issue already filed here.

chainfire Wrote:Wi-Fi
I connect using Wi-Fi, and use a power saver. This results in the Wi-Fi being connected whenever I turn the screen on, and disconnected when I turn the screen off.

This causes the (a) that annoying "no connection" popup and (b) manually having to reconnect.

It would be great if an option could be added to NOT show the popup that XBMC Remote does not have a connection, and to automatically reconnect when a Wi-Fi network becomes available.
How about disabling the "power saver" while connecting? Alternatively there is an option not to go into the lock screen while the remote is running.

chainfire Wrote:Buttons
(1) I know, volume up and down can be done with the hardware buttons. However, the volume buttons are inconveniently placed for left-handed usage, and as well as changing the volume of XBMC, they also occasionally change the volume on the device itself.

I would very much like volume controls in the remote.

(2) "audio" and "subtitle" buttons, that cycle through the available audio languages and subtitle languages (and "no subtitles"). It is a drag having to do this manually, and I need to do this for virtually every movie I watch.

(3) Seek bar, it would be great to have the seek bar (like we have in "now playing") in the remote mode.
For a tablet version, why not. I don't see how we could find space for those additional buttons with the current layout though.

chainfire Wrote:Broadcast
In all my locations I use dynamic addressing for the PC's running XBMC. Instead of having to enter the host IP manually (and changing it repeatedly, hehe) could there be some form of detection / auto-discover / broadcasting ?
AFAIK there's already a ticket for this as well.

chainfire Wrote:Me me me
I'm also an Android developer, by the way, I could possibly help out here and there, but my knowledge of XBMC itself is... tiny.
Sure. Check out the code and have a look at the open issues here. Don't hesitate to ask questions in forum or on IRC.

Cheers!
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
freezy Wrote:How about disabling the "power saver" while connecting? Alternatively there is an option not to go into the lock screen while the remote is running.

So every time I would want to use XBMC remote I'd have to turn off a service ? These power savers work well and have lots of users ...

The solution on XBMC remote would be very simple:
(a) option to disable the "no network", "connection lost" and "should I turn on Wi-Fi" dialogs
(b) option to automatically perform a "reconnect" whenever Wi-Fi goes into the connected state

Regarding the lock screen thing (great feature, btw), it appears XBMC remote is simply drawn over the lockscreen (you can still see it between the window transitions). I think if you switch the keyguard calls around a bit, you can make it so the lockscreen never appears (looks better).

Also:

sorting
When browsing files the sorting setup in XBMC is not respected (it always appears to be alphabetical)
chainfire Wrote:Wi-Fi

User Tasker for Android to automate WiFi on/off when launching XBMC.

Context: App (XBMC Remote) on focus
Enter Task: WiFi On
Exit Task: WiFi Off
raynerape Wrote:User Tasker for Android to automate WiFi on/off when launching XBMC.

Context: App (XBMC Remote) on focus
Enter Task: WiFi On
Exit Task: WiFi Off

That will change absolutely nothing.
freezy Wrote:Yes, issue already filed
For a tablet version, why not. I don't see how we could find space for those additional buttons with the current layout though.

I too would love an audio/subtitle button, or at least custom buttons so we could set this up ourselves Smile

As for where they could go, I have a Desire (800x480 display), my suggestions for the extra button locations would be in the top left/right in remote mode (where it currently says remote and android next to the display button) or alternatively theres a line of black that is unused below the remote display that could be used.

Alternatively in the widescreen view, there are buttons for pictures/video/movies etc. These could be converted to custom buttons; the default being what they currently are right now; but you could also chose to change the function to another keyboard command.

That way people who like the layout at current dont have to change, but those of us who'd love audio/sub cycle options could get our wish!
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Comments and issues (Tab, Wi-Fi, remote buttons, broadcast)0