HDCD, DTS signal messed up
Hi,

I use my AppleTV as a "bit perfect" music source, feeding a decent DAC and hifi. Through the Front Row interface, all my lossless CD rips play perfectly, including those that are HDCD encoded and also my DTS encoded CD rips. So I know the output is bit perfect.

However, playing the same files using XBMC, they will not play. The DAC just plays noise with the DTS rips and with the HDCD encoded files, the DAC can't lock properly and the HDCD logo keeps going on and off with an associated "plup" noise.

So XBMC is messing with the signal somehow. I have set volume (in XBMC) to maximum, disabled any auto level adjustments, set the receiver type to be DTS and DD capable, disabled stereo downmix. None of the above fixes the problem.

It seems like maybe all XBMC audio output goes through some mixer service that messes with the signal. Or something like that anyway. Does anyone know how to get "bit perfect" output from XBMC on the AppleTV?

If it can't do this, I can't use it :-(

(Incidentally, I would like to be able to output 24/96 as well - which the ATV/Front Row cannot do. Does anyone know if this is possible from XBMC?)
I have the same issue with HDCD encoded files (FLAC/ WAV) which play OK on Banshee/Rhytmbox on the same machine running Ubuntu 10.10 (output via HDMI).

It seems XBMC is messing up the audio signal in the low bit area (where HDCD info is stored).

Hope this helps to improve an otherwise great program!

Thanks,

Bert

BTW: Boxee, which used the same basic source, has the same issue.
Yes, I have since learned that the xbmc audio chain is basically fubar and needs a rewrite if it's to be used for serious audio.
That's why there is a whole seperate branch to fix the audio. You can follow it here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78289

Edit: Keep in mind that is a dev thread, so don't go making feature requests!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDCD, DTS signal messed up0