Update installed CD-live version
Question 
Hello,

How can-I use the CD of 10rc1 CD-live version to update an previously installed 10b4 CD-live version ? (SSD on ZBOX)
I only founded the clean install process, destroying the previous installed version

If update process from (physical) Live CD is not implemented, can I know why ?

This kind of update (like for Windows) should be more easy than update by net...
Concerning update by Net :
A French forumer tried upgrade by the net, (sudo update then sudo upgrade) : -> black screen after reboot....

Thanks for any help Smile
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
ssh in / go to a terminal. type 'sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc'. enjoy.
spiff Wrote:ssh in / go to a terminal. type 'sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc'. enjoy.
Thanks for your reply Smile
->This process is upgrade process by the net or upgrade process using local CD-Live RC1 located inside CD player ?
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
from the net
Jean-Max Wrote:This kind of update (like for Windows) should be more easy than update by net...
Concerning update by Net :
A French forumer tried upgrade by the net, (sudo update then sudo upgrade) : -> black screen after reboot....

a) update by net is much more convenient and makes sure that you get the right and newest version from ppa

b) a "sudo apt-get upgrade" is not recommended for live installs as it tries to upgrade ALL packages which in a lot of cases breaks the live install. as spiff said, if you do the specific "sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc" it selectively updates only the xbmc version and leaves the rest of the system alone. just don't forget to do a "sudo apt-get update" before so that apt sees the newer version of xbmc. also, if you're already on dharma and want to get an upgrade from ppa, you'll need the SVN ppa.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:a) update by net is much more convenient and makes sure that you get the right and newest version from ppa
Update by the net seems the ONLY possible, because update from the live CD itself (even the last downloaded version) is not implemented at all ; so, no choice..

Quote:b) a "sudo apt-get upgrade" is not recommended for live installs as it tries to upgrade ALL packages which in a lot of cases breaks the live install. as spiff said, if you do the specific "sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc" it selectively updates only the xbmc version and leaves the rest of the system alone. just don't forget to do a "sudo apt-get update" before so that apt sees the newer version of xbmc. also, if you're already on dharma and want to get an upgrade from ppa, you'll need the SVN ppa.
I have the Dharma beta 4 live Cd installed on the SSD of my Zbox Hd-ID11
so, if I understand well, I must do:

sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc

PS : what meen "you'll need the SVN ppa" ?
Thanks Smile
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
spiff Wrote:ssh in / go to a terminal. type 'sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc'. enjoy.

I have never used upgrade in that way with a package specified.

The man page would seem to advise against it in a situation like this.

install might be safer since you are only trying to update xbmc.
FishOil Wrote:I have never used upgrade in that way with a package specified.
The man page would seem to advise against it in a situation like this.
install might be safer since you are only trying to update xbmc.
??
As an total Linux newbie, what I must understand ?

-(1)- What have-I to write and do exactly to upgrade from my XBMC live Dharma Beta4 (installed on my Zbox), to XBMC Dharma RC1 ?

-(2)- MUST-I need "the SVN ppa", before starting any upgrade command line ? (I didn't understood exactly the process)

-(3)- Upgrading process must be started from the ZBOX/XBMC console itself ,or can it be started by PUTTY, from a Windows distant networked PC ?

Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
Smile 
Hello,

After an SSD image saving/cloning with Clozezilla (*), I successfully upgraded on my ZBOX, XBMC-live 10b4 to 10rc2, in SSH from Putty, with the commands :
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc

-> All is OK : I am now in 10rc2 Smile

(*) In previous try of upgrading by the net with the same method, I had a crash after the upgrade fom 9.11 to 10b1
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update installed CD-live version0