Remote control response is sluggish when using remote.xml (Dharma RC1)
Using XBMC Dharma RC1 OSX build.

Last night, I set up remote.xml so that I could use my Harmony 880 with mapped commands. I used the keymap.xml (renamed it to remote.xml) in the sticky post '[MAC] HOW-TO setup Logitech Harmony Remote for use with XBMC for Mac OS X'.

All mapped keys and commands work fine, but I dislike the performance. XBMC responds too slowly to the commands sent by the Harmony 880. Probably about a half second delay between the time I press a button and when XBMC reacts to that button press.

I already have the Harmony 880 delays set to 0ms, so I don't think that's the issue. I think it is an issue with the XBMC software and the time it takes to translate the IR commands it receives from the Harmony (or any remote) to what is defined in remote.xml. I say this because when I set up the Harmony to work as the basic 'Apple' remote, XBMC responds quickly and crisply.

Is anyone else out there who is using a Harmony remote with mapped commands having this issue?
if you watch xbmc.log with debug enabled, you will see when xbmc gets the remote keypress. If xbmc gets it delayed, then it's a harmony issue and something is delaying the keypress. FYI, this is exactly why I dumped using my harmony IR remote, it was just too slow in sending IR commands and I could not figure out how to speed it up.
davilla Wrote:if you watch xbmc.log with debug enabled, you will see when xbmc gets the remote keypress. If xbmc gets it delayed, then it's a harmony issue and something is delaying the keypress. FYI, this is exactly why I dumped using my harmony IR remote, it was just too slow in sending IR commands and I could not figure out how to speed it up.
I can set up the Harmony remote to send the same commands as the Apple remote, and everything works perfectly, fast and crisp. That's why I **think** it's an issue with XBMC Dharma.
you start by looking at xbmc.log.
davilla Wrote:you start by looking at xbmc.log.
I will do that tonight.

If I find that the Apple remote commands are indeed 'faster' than the Plex mappings, I may try to use the Apple remote directional and enter keys on the Harmony remote instead of the Plex directional and enter mappings. I don't know if that will work with the 'Multi Harmony' remote settings in XBMC though....

Ideally, I would like to have everything in the Harmony 880.

Otherwise I will just continue to use Row Mote on my iPhone, which I assume you are using something like that as well.
Further research seems this is a common problem.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76545&page=3
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topi...ny-remote/

The problem lies in the Harmony remote, or the Mac IR Receiver.

Summary-

Do this in the Harmony software:
1. "Devices" tab
2. Click "Settings" button under HTPC (what I called the MS model 1039 remote receiver)
3. Click "Adjust the delays (speed settings)" radio button; click "Next" button
4. Set Inter-key delay, input delay, and inter-device delay to 0 ms; click "Next" button
5. Click "Next" button again
6. Click "Done" button

I am still going to try my 'hybrid' method tonight using the Apple Remote directional buttons in conjunction with the Plex mappings. I'll post back what happens.
Update:

I couldn't get any sort of 'hybrid' mode working. You either use the Harmony with the Plex device and XBMC Apple Remote set to Multi Remote Harmony, or you use the Harmony as a standard Apple remote (I set it up as the Macbook Pro as the device) and XBMC Apple Remote set to Standard .

Using the Harmony 880 as an Apple Remote results in **much faster** response in XBMC.

Only a very slight delay which I would consider normal for a Harmony remote.

The Harmony Plex setup must lag because of the translation going on between the remote.xml, the IR commands, and the XBMC software.

The issue is definitely not in the Harmony remote. It's a XBMC issue.

I couldn't figure out how to log remote button presses in the XBMC.log when debugging is on. I added in an <loglevel>3</loglevel> entry to advancedsettings.xml, but that is about as far I got before I gave up.

At any rate, i'm happy with the Apple Remote Standard setup at the moment, even though it takes a few more keypresses to do things.
[QUOTE=acribb;655503

Otherwise I will just continue to use Row Mote on my iPhone, which I assume you are using something like that as well.[/quote]

I used to use Row Mote but then it stopped working. At any rate I thought it was average compared to the XBMC iphone app which is pretty awesome.

I also have the Harmony 1100i but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet.

I think though for watching series and movies on the apple tv I will stick with the apple remote. It's just so easy and all you really want to do is change volume, go back or navigate the menus...Apple remote is light weight and easy to use in the dark IMO.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control response is sluggish when using remote.xml (Dharma RC1)0