[LINUX] Crashed pixelated screen.
Hallo gurus.

This is my first post here. I start a HTPC project with Asus M4a88t-i delux motherboard which have ATI HD4250 onboard video. Today install Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 and update all packages. After that install Dharma RC2 as described HERE
Start a xbmc and see following screenImage
Any ideas how to fix it?
Regards
It looks like it could be related to a number of different things. From looking at that screen I would guess it's a driver issue. Ati stuff generally doesn't play as well with linux as the nvidia stuff does. I'm not overly savvy with linux but check to see if the proprietary drivers are enabled and grab the newest one you can.

Do you see these artifacts happening with anything else? when playing videos with Vlc Player?

Just general trouble shooting stuff.

Hope it helps, if not heres a bump for you.
grantd Wrote:It looks like it could be related to a number of different things. From looking at that screen I would guess it's a driver issue. Ati stuff generally doesn't play as well with linux as the nvidia stuff does. I'm not overly savvy with linux but check to see if the proprietary drivers are enabled and grab the newest one you can.

Do you see these artifacts happening with anything else? when playing videos with Vlc Player?

Just general trouble shooting stuff.

Hope it helps, if not heres a bump for you.
Thanks grantd.
I pass this issue some time ago. It was a GPU driver issue as you guess. No one of the newest ar proprietary drivers doesn't work. Only from the box one is working.
Can confirm this issue on Ubuntu 10.04LTS and Ubuntu 10.10.
What is your opinion of the board overall? It looks pretty tempting. To clarify did you find a driver that worked out ok with ubuntu?
grantd Wrote:What is your opinion of the board overall? It looks pretty tempting. To clarify did you find a driver that worked out ok with ubuntu?
As i understand now for XBMC the motherboards with NVidia ION's GPU will be prefereble. At this time i use driver "from the box" in Ubuntu 10.10, and it's do the job that i need. Sometimes the vide is laggy on BD RIP samples. But i use the smallest of AMD X2 CPU - X2 240e, maybe it's the couse of the laggy picture.
My project is to make all-in-one box, begins from Home Internet router + WiFi Access point + media center with DVB-S2 SAT tuner inside.
At this time i can't come throut with built in WiFi, i need this device work as Access Point, but it's very unstable with hostapd package and driver. There are no from-the-box solution from Ubuntu. Can't solve problem with LIRC and Harmony Remote control work throut TV-CARD IR receiver (don't want to spend any money for MCE IR Receiver)....
Peace of advice: when you choose mini-ITX m/b first of all buy a case with good airflow inside. GPU and Chipset radiator is pretty hot, i think it's a good idea to make extra airflow on it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Crashed pixelated screen.0