BUG: Mono sounds kills framerate when using HDMI
I use XBMC a lot and I found out that some streaming video had a terrible framerate. After some digging around I found out that this is only in a very specific scenario:
  • The audiostream should use a single channel (mono).
  • Using speaker configuration > 2.0 (3.1 and more).
  • Using the HDMI output device.
I use the stock .asoundrc that is shipped with the XBMC Live CD (RC1). Does anyone know how to fix this? I think it's a bug...

You can see my .asoundrc on PasteBin, but it is the file that has been installed during the XBMC live installation on my Asrock ION 330HT. I use a Marantz SR-6004 receiver that is connected via HDMI to the Asrock.

To make sure I am completely clear, these are the system settings for audio output:
  • Audio output: HDMI
  • Speaker Configuration: 5.1
  • Boost volume level on downmix: Enabled
  • Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: Enabled
  • DTS capable receiver: Enabled
  • Audio output device: hdmi
  • Passthrough output device: hdmi

If you open one of the TWIT channels (available via the TWIT video plugin), then you should see immediately if you experience the same problem.
I also tried the following .asoundrc that gives me sound, but still the same problem:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
  pcm "hdmi"
}
}
BugBoy, I haven't been able to run the TWiT plugin with 10.0 or RC1 or RC2. I use a Zotac HD-ID11 which is also an Atom/ION system. Revision3 works fine, as does about everything else I've tried. Have you had any luck with this yet?
Try to set your speaker configuration to 2.0 and try again. If it helps, then you encounter the same bug that I did. If you use HDMI and have Dolby/DTS capable decoder, then you will still hear surround sound, but you will be able to watch mono streams (that are used by TWIT).

I have submitted this issue, but I haven't seen any changes in the source-code, so I don't think it will be included with the XBMC Dharma release.
BugBoy Wrote:Try to set your speaker configuration to 2.0 and try again. If it helps, then you encounter the same bug that I did. If you use HDMI and have Dolby/DTS capable decoder, then you will still hear surround sound, but you will be able to watch mono streams (that are used by TWIT).

I have submitted this issue, but I haven't seen any changes in the source-code, so I don't think it will be included with the XBMC Dharma release.

Thanks for the assistance. TWiT is now watchable. Such an odd little bug, I hope it gets taken care of.
BugBoy Wrote:Try to set your speaker configuration to 2.0 and try again. If it helps, then you encounter the same bug that I did. If you use HDMI and have Dolby/DTS capable decoder, then you will still hear surround sound, but you will be able to watch mono streams (that are used by TWIT).

thanks for the tip! finally got my issue resolved. Twit and other avi files were not working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BUG: Mono sounds kills framerate when using HDMI0