Apple TV: Sound issues / no surround sound
Hey there!

When running a movie (with aac 5.1 sound), it always uses the 2.0 track.
When I change it to surround sound, it does not work: Only the left side of the front speakers is running and my AVR does not give any notice that there is a 5.1 signal.
When I switch back to the stereo-track, there is no sound at all any longer.
Even when I quit XBMC n go back to Apple TV OS, there is no sound, so that I have to restart the system.

Platform: Apple TV
Software-Version: 3.0.2
ATV Flash 4.2.1 installed
Launcher Version 3.2.5
Running XBMC svn r35567

Audio Settings:
HDMI, 5.1 (Apple TV is connected to AVR via HDMI)
"Receiver supports AC3 / DTS" is selected
Default Output Device is selected.

Any suggestions?
Have you asked up on the ATV Flash forums since you paid for something (which is free, btw) and would include support I assume?

Other than that, do you have an AAC 5.1 capable receiver since you're "running a movie (with aac 5.1 sound)?"
My AVR is a very new one and should play everything fine.

I spend some more time reading through the forum last night and found someone else with sound issues. Different issue, but same "solution" (which I do not understand).
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84855
When I select optical/coax for audio output the AVR is signaling a 5.1 audio track and everything runs fine (I guess).
---------

There is another thing I do not get:
After selecting an AC3 audio track it is not possible to change anything within the audio menu while the movie is running.
I have to go to settings/system and deselect "receiver is capable of ac3". Now that ac3 passthrough is deactivated, it is possible to make changes in the audio-menu when a movie is running.

Why is it not even possible to switch / enable / disable subtitles when ac3 passthrough is active?
I have also observed this same bug with flac 5.1 audio tracks I was about to post a separate thread, when I read that tip about switching the audio output to optical I tried it and my videos with flac 5.1 starting getting output as PCM 5.1 audio on my AMP which was the desired result.

Running under ATV OS with Dharma RC2 and tested with RC1, also it kills the sound system if you try playing the video with flac 5.1 and HDMI audio output is set in XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV: Sound issues / no surround sound0