Dharma RC2 - Still no navigation sounds out of the box on ION boxes?
Ever since I can remember, I've had to go through various steps to get navigation sounds working in XBMC Live *via HDMI* when I do a fresh install. RC2 is no different, and it's getting to the point where I'm wondering why this doesn't work out of the box on an ION-based system?

If there are supposed to be navigation sounds via HDMI, why can't we get this going for [what I perceive to be] the core audience for the XBMC live distro?

Also, I have a set of about 4-5 things I do to set up XBMC live every time, and I figure it's probably best that I streamline that process. So, what is the *simplest* (and officially recommended) way to get navigation sounds working in XBMC Live via HDMI?

NOTE: I updated my post to reflect that I have this problem over HDMI. I'm guessing other digital outputs also fail to play navigation sounds.
alexpigment Wrote:So, what is the *simplest* (and officially recommended) way to get navigation sounds working in XBMC Live?

I Would like to know this too
Navigational sounds take a different path than the normal audio, this is because it uses a different engine and was done so for easing porting. As such it will go to default output (which usually is analog). So you probably have navigational sound but not on hdmi or whatever your outputting to.

The audio engine in XBMC is being redone and it will hopefully be fixed (among many other things audio wise) for eden or eden+1.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Navigational sounds take a different path than the normal audio, this is because it uses a different engine and was done so for easing porting. As such it will go to default output (which usually is analog). So you probably have navigational sound but not on hdmi or whatever your outputting to.

The audio engine in XBMC is being redone and it will hopefully be fixed (among many other things audio wise) for eden or eden+1.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks!

But how can we easily enable navigations souns over HDMI right now?
topfs2 Wrote:As such it will go to default output (which usually is analog). So you probably have navigational sound but not on hdmi or whatever your outputting to.

I hooked up some headphones to the analog jack and verified this. You learn something every day Smile I've also edited my first post to be more accurate.

Anyway, the question still stands though. What is this simplest method for enabling navigation sounds over HDMI?
^^^^^+1
create a .asoundrc - plenty in the forums on how to do this search.
Prae,

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid (searching and following someone random person's steps). I've seen about a million ways to create an .asoundrc file on this forum. Everyone seems to have some variation, and frankly, I don't know how customized their asoundrc files are for their particular system, and by the same token, I don't know how applicable they are for my own system.

I have an Acer Aspire Revo 1600. It's an Atom chip with ION graphics. I use HDMI. I usually follow the step 14 from this thread :

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=revo

I have no idea what that actually does. Is it possible I'm overwriting something unnecessarily by doing those steps?

So my question is what is the *simplest* way to get navigation sounds, and more importantly, what do XBMC devs (i.e. you and others) recommend doing? I want to cut the fat of my install process, and this is one area where I'm a blind sheep; I want to be a shepherd on this.
alexpigment Wrote:So my question is what is the *simplest* way to get navigation sounds, and more importantly, what do XBMC devs (i.e. you and others) recommend doing? I want to cut the fat of my install process, and this is one area where I'm a blind sheep; I want to be a shepherd on this.

Afaik there is no other way, might be some export to SDL (which we use for nav sounds) to tell it to play on plug:hdmi.

Another option is to move to pulseaudio and set default device to hdmi, but that kinof means skipping xbmc live.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Afaik there is no other way, might be some export to SDL (which we use for nav sounds) to tell it to play on plug:hdmi.

Another option is to move to pulseaudio and set default device to hdmi, but that kinof means skipping xbmc live.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want to do something other than create an asoundrc file. I'm just saying that I'd like to know the simplest way to get that done, given that it's the only way. I've seen asoundrc files with as few as 4 lines, and I've seen some with more than 20. I don't know what each line of the file means, so I don't know what is necessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dharma RC2 - Still no navigation sounds out of the box on ION boxes?0