[LIVE] Switch to component out?
Question 
Is there a way to switch the VGA output from RGB to Y,Yb,Yr I realize this might be driver specific as some video cards do support this...

I ask because I am trying to hookup the VGA port from my H55 mobo using the IGT (i3 540) to a Toshiba 65H80 which I do not think supports RGB over "colourstream^tm" (component as they called it).

I would rather do this than use an active converter so any help is much appreciated I do not have much experience with unix based operating systems so I do not know where I would start to go about switching this. I guess I should start by asking how to get into the shell once XBMC Live has already launched (I didn't see an option for this in any of the menus)
guitarmanmike Wrote:Is there a way to switch the VGA output from RGB to Y,Yb,Yr I realize this might be driver specific as some video cards do support this...

I ask because I am trying to hookup the VGA port from my H55 mobo using the IGT (i3 540) to a Toshiba 65H80 which I do not think supports RGB over "colourstream^tm" (component as they called it).

I would rather do this than use an active converter so any help is much appreciated I do not have much experience with unix based operating systems so I do not know where I would start to go about switching this. I guess I should start by asking how to get into the shell once XBMC Live has already launched (I didn't see an option for this in any of the menus)

I don't think Live supports component output...at least that's what I determined a couple of weeks ago when I attempted to run it on a computer connected to my 61H70 (Pretty much only used for Xbox360). Ubuntu does support component output but you will need an adapter and can't just connect RGB using component cables. You will also need to go through some hoops to configure the video mode files. My advice...If you want to run Linux get a video card that has native component output and install the full Ubuntu version then add XBMC. Better yet....dump the CRT and hope Santa brings you a new flat screen. Life got so less complicated when I connected my computer's HDMI cable to my 42" LCD.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Replacing the TV isn't an option as this is for my parents and It doesn't look so good If I tell them they have to buy a 65inch flat screen to interface with the media-center network I have going.

So I guess right now I have a few options...

1)Hope that the TV accepts RGB over component.

2)Find a way to switch output to component...

3)Get an active component converter.

4)Get a video card with component output.

Also does anyone know if there is anyway to do component out through displayport or is it the same story there as well?

Do nvidia cards now support audio over HDMI? Or still only ATI cards?
This isn't really a LIVE question but a linux xconfig question. If your hardware supports component video output, it will be driver dependent. I honestly think your easiest path forward will be to use a VGA or DVI/HDMI to component video converter. I am a fan of the HDFury line of products and current use 2 HDFury2 converters with my 2 XBMC boxes.
Thanks for your response that Is what I was thinking I know that it would be something I have to change in the driver but I have no idea how to do this in linux. I dont even know how to drop into the linux shell from live so I thats why I put it under the live tag, I need someone to explain how to drop to the shell and once there what to change to possibly get component out throught the VGA.

Thanks again..
What specific motherboard do you have?
Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
Intel core i3-540
Well, unfortunately, it doesnt look like that motherboard supports direct component video output, so your options are to use a different video card that DOES support component video output (and sort out the drivers), or get an HDMI-> component converter. As mentioned before, I use HDFury2 converters and they work great. If you do got this direction, I do recommend you get the small wall-wart power supply (some kits don't include it) as my video card didn't put out enough voltage to power the HDFury2 without it.

monoprice sells the HDFury series, but they're currently out of stock.
Thanks for your help, Im still trying to decide which way to go but your suggestion is noted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Switch to component out?0